Important! - Page 3 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Important!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a bloody cop out. :angry:

Why, were you going to ask Dougie if he's up for it?

Edit - bloody iPad.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Spot on Jim. The current SFL criteria for new entrants also states that applicant Clubs must have 3 years of audited accounts. How does Sevco 5088 manage that then? Spartans for me!

How did Airdrie Utd have 3 years audited accounts? :rolleyes:

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

If memory serves Airdrie utd got rejected for sfl membership and Gretna got voted in. Airdrie snuck in the back door by buying out Clydebank and changing the name.

Not sure of the ins & outs of it all but are Airdrie Utd not just a renamed Clydebank, hence would have their accounts?

Duty Now For The Future !

If memory serves Airdrie utd got rejected for sfl membership and Gretna got voted in. Airdrie snuck in the back door by buying out Clydebank and changing the name.

Not sure of the ins & outs of it all but are Airdrie Utd not just a renamed Clydebank, hence would have their accounts?

This would make sense. :blush:

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Do not post much and cannot make this meeting. Can someone say what exactly will be gained or lost please? Would the owner of our club who seems to ignore the supporters at the best of times really listen to what we have to say on the matter? Will the warning that some fans will not be back be taken heed of? I'm highly sceptical that Mr Rae will take off the financial glasses for a minute. I expect integrity to be ignored but would be the first to applaud if Morton vote a clear no. And that also has to be made public.

I'll be honest and say I actually reckon Rae will listen to the fans here. Otherwise would be a colossal mistake on his part. I'm already making alternative plans to watching Morton next season if it's a Yes from us.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

However, Airdrie United were invited to apply. What would've been the point in accepting an application and then rejecting them had they been successful?

The precedent is there to allow an application from The Rangers, which I personally don't have a problem with. My main issue is jumping up the pecking order. I'd expect at least the Third Division for them as I shouldn't think any others, such as Spartans, Cove and Gala would bother themselves by preparing bids when they would expect The Rangers to win by a landslide anyway.

The main issue shouldn't be preventing The Rangers getting into the SFL- as a new club they've got as much right as any other, love them or loathe them. What the focus should be on is their queue jumping just because they are a well supported club.

However, Airdrie United were invited to apply. What would've been the point in accepting an application and then rejecting them had they been successful?

The precedent is there to allow an application from The Rangers, which I personally don't have a problem with. My main issue is jumping up the pecking order. I'd expect at least the Third Division for them as I shouldn't think any others, such as Spartans, Cove and Gala would bother themselves by preparing bids when they would expect The Rangers to win by a landslide anyway.

The main issue shouldn't be preventing The Rangers getting into the SFL- as a new club they've got as much right as any other, love them or loathe them. What the focus should be on is their queue jumping just because they are a well supported club.

Exactly, as much as I despise them and their neighbours, I'd have no problem in them gaining entry to the SFL, provided they go through the proper and long recognised routes.

Airdrie United applied for the place vacated by Airdrieonians and lost out to Gretna who got that place.

They then bought Clydebank, who were already members, merged themselves with them (effectively wiping out Clydebank) and applied to the SFL to change the members name from Clydebank to Airdrie Utd and to move their home ground to Airdrie(from Cappielow IIRC), which was accepted by the SFL.

They never applied to join the second time, they didn't have to.

This is exactly the possible The Rangers/Cowdenbeath(or anyone else) scenario.

..................................................FT

However, Airdrie United were invited to apply.

Not sure Toby, but I dont think Airdrie Utd had to apply (invited or not)? they were just Clydebank under a new name, were they not?

New name, New colours & new venue, was that not all?

Airdrie United applied for the place vacated by Airdrieonians and lost out to Gretna who got that place.

They then bought Clydebank, who were already members, merged themselves with them (effectively wiping out Clydebank) and applied to the SFL to change the members name from Clydebank to Airdrie Utd and to move their home ground to Airdrie(from Cappielow IIRC), which was accepted by the SFL.

They never applied to join the second time, they didn't have to.

This is exactly the possible The Rangers/Cowdenbeath(or anyone else) scenario.

..................................................FT

I didn't say they did apply a second time. However, that they applied in the first place when the rules dictated that to apply a club must show 3 years of accounts suggest that the SFL don't stick to that particular rule by the book. That they weren't successful in their application doesn't mean the SFL won't accept a club which doesn't meet that criteria. Had Airdrie United beaten Gretna in the vote, the SFL wouldn't have stopped them entering as a new club rather than the continuation of Clydebank that they did enter as.

The SFL wouldn't have accepted Airdrie United's original application in the first place rather than letting it go to a vote of members had they no intentions of letting them in.

And yes, the Cowdenbeath scenario is something I've alluded to a number of times on here.

Had Airdrie United beaten Gretna in the vote, the SFL wouldn't have stopped them entering as a new club rather than the continuation of Clydebank that they did enter as.

The SFL wouldn't have accepted Airdrie United's original application in the first place rather than letting it go to a vote of members had they no intentions of letting them in.

But Toby, surely they did not "enter as" Airdrie Utd ? They continued as Clydebank (as you rightly said) , but under another name?

But Toby, surely they did not "enter as" Airdrie Utd ? They continued as Clydebank (as you rightly said) , but under another name?

Forget all about Clydebank. When Airdrieonians folded, a pheonix club was formed and applied for Airdrieoninans' place. That they were unsuccessful is neither here nor there. They were allowed to apply in the first place which suggests the SFL would've accepted them without 3 years of accounts.

Taking over Clydebank was merely the next step to playing league football once their original application was voted out by the members.

Taking over Clydebank was merely the next step to playing league football once their original application was voted out by the members.

Not sure Toby, but the way I look at it is they did not "take over" Clydebank, the are Clydebank, but under another name?

I know what you are saying re: initial application being rejected, therefore they are not Airdire, they are Clydebank as we have known them, but now named Airdire Utd.

I dare say i could buy Morton - call them MacKton, register them with a pink kit and say the home pitch was on Islay. But surely that is not a "new" club?

Not sure Toby, but the way I look at it is they did not "take over" Clydebank, the are Clydebank, but under another name?

I know what you are saying re: initial application being rejected, therefore they are not Airdire, they are Clydebank as we have known them, but now named Airdire Utd.

I dare say i could buy Morton - call them MacKton, register them with a pink kit and say the home pitch was on Islay. But surely that is not a "new" club?

I'm clearly just repeating myself and you've got no intention of paying attention to my point.

I didn't say they did apply a second time. However, that they applied in the first place when the rules dictated that to apply a club must show 3 years of accounts suggest that the SFL don't stick to that particular rule by the book. That they weren't successful in their application doesn't mean the SFL won't accept a club which doesn't meet that criteria. Had Airdrie United beaten Gretna in the vote, the SFL wouldn't have stopped them entering as a new club rather than the continuation of Clydebank that they did enter as.

And yes, the Cowdenbeath scenario is something I've alluded to a number of times on here.

Toby, I misunderstood your point. Got it now.

There is a difference in that Airdrie Utd were the newco of Airdrieonians and had bought Airdrieonians assets etc and the oldco had had 3 years and more of audited accounts.

In The Rangers case they are the newco of Rangers with all their assets but the oldco dont have the last 3 years audited accounts. That's why they were ineligible for Europe this year.

In the final analysis it will be up to the 29 chairmen who they let in and where they put them.

.....................................FT

I'm clearly just repeating myself and you've got no intention of paying attention to my point.

Toby - Fare enough, I in no way want to fall out with a fellow Ton fan. We see this issue in a different way, and to be honest I am no expert.

Come on you Ton

Archived