If The Rangers Go In To The First Division - Page 14 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

If The Rangers Go In To The First Division

Today, for the first time in a while I'd a really bad day at work, as we all do. After work I was in Morrison's shopping with the Mrs.

We're filling our bags at the checkout; old boy behind us knows the checkout lassie, both clearly ''were'' Rangers fans but think they still are and I hear him say to her ''you've moved in your job, it's Rangers who are having a change of scenery blah blah'', then he said ''as long as we don't need to go to Cappielow, I dont want to go and have to stand there''

At this I couldnt contain myself and blurted ''we don't want you anyway'' and he said shocked ''eh'', so I said ''we dont want you, if you want into the SFL you should join the queue and apply to get in the 3rd division like anyone else''

Now, the guys face was a picture as I walked away with my messages but, in all honesty, I'm not feeling good about it, I try and always avoid confrontation;

Whats the point in me writing this, well I am just saying that theres strong feelings around at the moment and I'd like it all sorted out, because, its not just that old stranger in Morrrison's it's people in my work too; they just don't ''get it''

Please can someone advise how I remain calm and ignore them, or should I stick up for myself and my beliefs and give my opinions like I did in Morrison's ?

Well said. I have no problem with them reinventing themselves, and even wanting to adopt the history of the previous Rangers is a reasonable aspiration, although they could do to lose the antisocial aspects of their "culture" during the re-birth. My main objection is to the continuing arrogance and the attitude that they're too good for the lower divisions, let alone the 3rd division. They are now a diddy team and will be for at least 2 seasons. Enjoy it while it lasts.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the italians just bounce teams down a couple of leagues and they just come back

I would prefer that these big boys join the English league and find out what it means to be a football club - not wining every week

Perhaps the other half will join them and as a footballing nation we can start to move on without the baggage

However I suspect I am delusional

Capitanus,

Why Linthouse? Cant understand you Govan guys at all. Why not rename them after the old Park United who used to play at the plots (the Old Plantation Park) in the 50s? Red and Black stripes and represented the whole community of Kinning Park but a mile behind both the Rangers and Celtic. Head hurts trying to remember. Time for bed.....................................FT

Linthouse FC were the other senior football club from Govan, formed in 1881 but went defunct in 1900. This was whenever Govan was the largest town in Scotland before it was annexed by Glasgow in 1912.

It was a founding member of the Scottish Football Alliance and won the competition in 1891/2 season, but towards the end it suffered from poor attendance as a result of its proximity to Rangers FC and their newly built stadium at nearby Ibrox.

I could have suggested something like "Govan Thistle" but this would not have the football heritage or history that reincarnating a proud old name of Scottish football would have, and many people from all parts of Govan, Cardonald, Pollok and the Southside would get behind a local team (without the baggage of Rangers) called Linthouse FC (even although Linthouse is over a mile away) if they were successful on the park.

The Rangers supporters over the past year have been wearing Red/Black scarves as a nod to the old Burgh of Govan's colours, in an attempt to recreate something similar to Man United's Green/Yellow Newton Heath scarves, however Rangers FC have alienated a large proportion of Govanites for decades previous, why try and acknowledge the community who have suffered them for long and weary nowadays?

I wondered about Linthouse, myself... Wine Alley FC doesnt have much appeal as a Global Brand either although they could tart themselves up as Chardonnay Allez FC (or maybe Blue Nun ****) ... ooh censor me ( it started with an H and ended with an S)

You're just a t***.

*insert signature here*

Archived