Today's Herald Sports: Dougie Thinks A Season Of - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Today's Herald Sports: Dougie Thinks A Season Of

Just read it, but can't find it on the online version.... Basically, he thinks they should be punished by relegation to our league, and a year of The Bears in our cage - denying us a possible promotion to the SPL should they win the league (Dougie's words, not mine : "In my opinion" as he says in the article) - would be worthwhile.......

European Fairs Cup [aka Inter City Cup / UEFA Cup / Europa League], 30th September 1968: Morton (3) v Chelsea (4) !!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just read it, but can't find it on the online version.... Basically, he thinks they should be punished by relegation to our league, and a year of The Bears in our cage - denying us a possible promotion to the SPL should they win the league (Dougie's words, not mine : "In my opinion" as he says in the article) - would be worthwhile.......

It's quite evident that Dougie doesn't want us to go to the SPL and quite clear that we aren't going to win the league anytime soon. This would provide him with an exuse for his and Moore's failings at the club.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

It's quite evident that Dougie doesn't want us to go to the SPL and quite clear that we aren't going to win the league anytime soon. This would provide him with an exuse for his and Moore's failings at the club.

I think this post will spark a fair bit of debate, and correctly so... I read it in the library - does anyone have a copy of the Herald's article which they could cut'n'paste on here?

European Fairs Cup [aka Inter City Cup / UEFA Cup / Europa League], 30th September 1968: Morton (3) v Chelsea (4) !!!

I have being saying this for last couple of seasons the board do not have the ambition nor the money to go that extra mile.

B)-->

QUOTE(big B @ Jun 19 2012, 04:21 PM) 871739[/snapback]
I have being saying this for last couple of seasons the board do not have the ambition nor the money to go that extra mile.

It pains me to say it but morton really are a farce. The whole set up commercially etc is laughable. The only good thing to come out of Morton in a while is the move to make the youth set up better. If only Dougie had realised this years ago.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Sorry Mr Rae but they are not punishing Rangers, Servco are a new entity and therfore should apply to enter at the bottom rung which is the 3rd division. Don't worry under your stewardship we can meet them 4 times the season after next in a glamorous 2 division top o the table encounter.

Remember The Alamo --- MORTON 5 THE MIDDEN BUT 1

Thanks a million Rimton for finding the link and posting it - was working from memory, but at least I now know for sure that I was not misquoting Mr. Rae!

Now that I see it again, I don't understand the last paragraph at all - can someone explain it to me please?!?

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.

TTG JIM!!!

Read the article in the Evening Times on my way home from a course in the City Centre and my first plan was to get home and post about it- Chris has beaten me to it.

So, Dougie has laid his cards on the table. You wonder how many Sports Editors that are looking for a quote from a First Division Chairman look down the table and tell their reporters to give him a call. Foot right in it with no consideration whatsoever for anyone else other than himself. The Rangers in this division would bring obvious short term benefits, but openly encouraging their introduction without asking the views of his own customers is commercial suicide.

Unfortunately, it's not the first time we've seen this sort of thing from the chairman. His support for SPL 2 a few years ago, which has again reared it's ugly head in this interview, and his money-grabbing attempts to move a cup tie that took til a full ten days after the original date to be played to Hampden or Celtic Park in order to cash in under the pretence that the best pitch in Scotland wouldn't be able to cope when the weather cleared both showed him, and more importantly Morton in a very poor light.

I'd like to think I've been pretty impartial on this whole affair when many have taken the "It's Rangers, fuck them" stance but the time for the footballing authorities to take sanctions is past. The only people taking any sanctions now should be the courts, on the individuals who mismanaged the former club and screwed the Revenue.

As dirty dingus says, the new club are exactly that, and I've no problem with them being invited to apply for a place in the Third Division should the SPL not accept them and promote a club from our division. Clearly that would be a shameful decision but outwith our club's hands. However, should they wish to apply for a place amongst the SFL there can be no starting place other than the bottom for any club.

By linking this with the formation of an SPL 2, the chairman clearly appears to be looking into this as a short cut for us to get a slice of TV money and sponsorship that has eluded us because we've been on the outside looking in for so long. Yup, shafting the lower reaches of the SFL and showing no regard for the good of the game as a whole so we can get our hands on the filthy lucre of that horrible organisation, whilst ignoring the need for sporting integrity purely for Morton's benefit.

It may well suit Morton, but it's disgusting. I'd advise he looks at the stance taken by the Aberdeen and Hibs fans' before making such stupid statements. 12 of the last 13 home matches of last season all attracted crowds of less than 2000. Can he really afford to piss off the remaining fans as much as the mere thought of voting in the Rangers into the SPL has pissed off some of those clubs' fans?

It's one thing complaining about the outlay he's made in the last decade, but there's a solution for that- cut your cloth accordingly and if it means part time football and relegation so be it. Others will eventually fall with us and we'll return to the First Divsion as our current standing is pretty much in line with the club's standing in the Scottish game.

The last thing a club with any sort of dignity should be doing though is dropping it's drawers like a cheap little wh*re to whoever's around to help line their pockets. It's what we resented the old Rangers and their pals up in the SPL for.

Disgraceful, absolutely disgraceful.

I think DDFR is being hard done by here but most posters. If Rangers are kicked out of the SPL, I fully agree they should start from applying for admission to the third division. If having them in the first division is the price to be paid for a root and branch reform of the game including:

• Getting rid of the SPL as a governing body and merging them with the SFL or, even better one body called the SFA
  • Fairer distribution of money
  • Bigger leagues
  • Fairer voting structure
  • Pyramid system
etc., etc.

I would consider that a price worth paying and I think that is what DDFR is saying also.

I think DDFR is being hard done by here but most posters. If Rangers are kicked out of the SPL, I fully agree they should start from applying for admission to the third division. If having them in the first division is the price to be paid for a root and branch reform of the game including:
  • Getting rid of the SPL as a governing body and merging them with the SFL or, even better one body called the SFA
  • Fairer distribution of money
  • Bigger leagues
  • Fairer voting structure
  • Pyramid system
etc., etc.

I would consider that a price worth paying and I think that is what DDFR is saying also.

Nonsense, he openly discusses the prospect of an SPL in the article. That's not bigger leagues, it's not a fairer voting system, it's not a fairer distribution of money, it's certainly not disbanding the SPL (rather expanding it) and it's got hee-haw to do with a pyramid system.

It's about money, and how Morton can get their hands on it without giving a flying fuck about those below us in the game. A selfish, greedy attitude with no regard for the good of the game as a whole, and something that our club should rise above.

A selfish, greedy attitude with no regard for the good of the game as a whole, and something that our club should rise above.

By the man who sinks around £400k a year into Morton!!

Maybe he is entitled to hope things improve.

Or the guy who loans Morton 400k a year?

I'm not saying the chairman hasn't been generous to Morton, assuming of course it doesn't come back to bite us in the future, but every single club in the game has a duty of care towards the Scottish game as a whole. The game's got into this mess because it reeks of self interest. Nowadays our club is becoming just as guilty as those who have cut us out in the past by not fulfilling their moral obligations.

If you're happy with that that's up to you, I'm ashamed that my club has taken such a stance.

Or plunges us deeper and deeper into the mire year after year while running us like amateurs. <_>

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Or the guy who loans Morton 400k a year?

I'm not saying the chairman hasn't been generous to Morton, assuming of course it doesn't come back to bite us in the future, but every single club in the game has a duty of care towards the Scottish game as a whole. The game's got into this mess because it reeks of self interest. Nowadays our club is becoming just as guilty as those who have cut us out in the past by not fulfilling their moral obligations.

If you're happy with that that's up to you, I'm ashamed that my club has taken such a stance.

Totally agree, what is he on. He should keep his big mouth shut and keep out of it. Let the authorities deal with it. The Rangers should be punished. Mr Rae KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT or better still retire.

Well, we will never go to the SPL after that, he has no intention to do so

Archived