Scotland V N Ire - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scotland V N Ire

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for letting me know, I got an email too. Seemingly (this could be wrong) if we all turn up en masse to collect our tickets the chances are we will get seated together.

We will just get dropped off together at the ticket office :D

Intentions are to go to the Sunday Night game in May, however when we initially planned it it was a Friday Night and more attractive.

Going to the RoI game on the Sunday myself, for the first time though I may bin an easy to get to game, v Wales.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Sorry I aint got a link for you guys, but according to Satuday's Irish Sun, ticket prices are getting slashed for the May fixtures, by up to 20 euro a ticket. Check it out before you buy, ot if you already have!!

Sorry I aint got a link for you guys, but according to Satuday's Irish Sun, ticket prices are getting slashed for the May fixtures, by up to 20 euro a ticket. Check it out before you buy, ot if you already have!!

Irish FA

Cheers fella. Doesn't quite work like that for most of us, we wait until the SSC distribute our tickets.

Scotland v NI is already £17 a ticket which all members would have the opportunity to buy.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

To answer your questions Toby.

The locals in the main were great, although I will not intend to spend a penny on ale around O'Connell Street, Temple Bar area or Trinity College as the pubs where indeed a complete rip off, and if its still there avoid Jackie Charltons as it was the most expensive. (don't get me wrong, they are very nice areas for a wander). We spent one day in those areas and another 5 drinking outside of it with the locals. Phisboro Road, Prospect Square etc we found to be the best with pubs every hundred or so yards, some very traditional, some more modern but we were made welcome in each of them. The locals told us they don't venture into the city centre such is the rip off mentality. Most of these pubs charged about the same and we were happy to pay.

On the subject of not so nice locals, this was up at Landsdowne road as buses where leaving. Quite a large mob decided to give it Brits out etc and pan a few windows in. Although we Scots and Irish tend to get on well, some see the kilt as a symbol of past 'issues' shall we call them, and they certainly couldn't handle the fact our scorers where Rangers players (ironically Niel McCann too) but they are very much in the minority. We got no personal hassle when there, just very much rip off central in the city.

Watch out with carry outs too, the Garda did not take kindly to this and they are not the nicest of police to try and get along with.

To add a sad note, just off the top of Phisboro Road (Finglas I think) is THE best chippy I have ever come across. (Matazzoni's or something like that).I will be making a drunken trip just to get some nosh from it, presuming its still there.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

To answer your questions Toby.

The locals in the main were great, although I will not intend to spend a penny on ale around O'Connell Street, Temple Bar area or Trinity College as the pubs where indeed a complete rip off, and if its still there avoid Jackie Charltons as it was the most expensive. (don't get me wrong, they are very nice areas for a wander). We spent one day in those areas and another 5 drinking outside of it with the locals. Phisboro Road, Prospect Square etc we found to be the best with pubs every hundred or so yards, some very traditional, some more modern but we were made welcome in each of them. The locals told us they don't venture into the city centre such is the rip off mentality. Most of these pubs charged about the same and we were happy to pay.

On the subject of not so nice locals, this was up at Landsdowne road as buses where leaving. Quite a large mob decided to give it Brits out etc and pan a few windows in. Although we Scots and Irish tend to get on well, some see the kilt as a symbol of past 'issues' shall we call them, and they certainly couldn't handle the fact our scorers where Rangers players (ironically Niel McCann too) but they are very much in the minority. We got no personal hassle when there, just very much rip off central in the city.

Watch out with carry outs too, the Garda did not take kindly to this and they are not the nicest of police to try and get along with.

To add a sad note, just off the top of Phisboro Road (Finglas I think) is THE best chippy I have ever come across. (Matazzoni's or something like that).I will be making a drunken trip just to get some nosh from it, presuming its still there.

As regards the drinking, I'd imagine it'll be majority decision anyway so we'll be in rip off central one minute and then down the road to somewhere fairly well priced the next- managed to find a pub in Oslo that sold pints for £3 which is no mean feat. It's just myself and Craig going over but we'll doubtless catch up with midTONs, JonaTon etc.

Can't see the locals being too much of a problem on this trip anyway as we're not actually playing Eire, so not too many will be around the vicinity of the ground, and if anyone is there for trouble, I'd imagine the Northern Ireland fans would be their target before us.

Never really do carry outs anyway on away trips, the only time was Paris, and I don't expect Dublin in February to have the same weather as Paris in September did.

And the chippy's surely not as good as that one in Brechin :P!!

As regards the drinking, I'd imagine it'll be majority decision anyway so we'll be in rip off central one minute and then down the road to somewhere fairly well priced the next- managed to find a pub in Oslo that sold pints for £3 which is no mean feat. It's just myself and Craig going over but we'll doubtless catch up with midTONs, JonaTon etc.

Can't see the locals being too much of a problem on this trip anyway as we're not actually playing Eire, so not too many will be around the vicinity of the ground, and if anyone is there for trouble, I'd imagine the Northern Ireland fans would be their target before us.

Never really do carry outs anyway on away trips, the only time was Paris, and I don't expect Dublin in February to have the same weather as Paris in September did.

I cant help but echo what Rhubarb Mess did Toby. 8 euro 50 I paid for a pint in a pub with my mate on O'Connell Street Hogmany, a five minute walk off the beaten track and you are looking at 3 euro 60. Treat it like Edinburgh. Anything central give the owners a chance to rip off tourists!! The temple bar is a liscence to print money in my opinion. The Garda dont hold back so just be careful on that front!!!

Thats my pub!! :P

can't see much hassle myself unless as you say the NI fans get confronted which is distinctly possible, if they travel down.

The chippy is better than any chippy that has went before...we were actually at the door the following day when the guy arrived to open up, he couldn't believe 4 very hung over folk had returned from the previous nights drunken eating to get more, but it was that good. I have just google mapped it, its there, Mizzoni :D

The Gravedigger Pub seems to be known as John Cavanagh now. great history it has, like walking into a timewarp, there is a huge oak table, very, very old. I asked the barman if it was an original fixture and he explained (whether true or not I loved the story) that the table was used for funerals. the coffin would be popped on it while everyone had a bevvy and when it was time to depart there was a door where the toilets are now which led directly into the Cemetery.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Thats my pub!! :P

can't see much hassle myself unless as you say the NI fans get confronted which is distinctly possible, if they travel down.

The chippy is better than any chippy that has went before...we were actually at the door the following day when the guy arrived to open up, he couldn't believe 4 very hung over folk had returned from the previous nights drunken eating to get more, but it was that good. I have just google mapped it, its there, Mizzoni :D

The Gravedigger Pub seems to be known as John Cavanagh now. great history it has, like walking into a timewarp, there is a huge oak table, very, very old. I asked the barman if it was an original fixture and he explained (whether true or not I loved the story) that the table was used for funerals. the coffin would be popped on it while everyone had a bevvy and when it was time to depart there was a door where the toilets are now which led directly into the Cemetery.

It wasn't the karaoke bar that we saw you in that night, another one just down the road from there. I can't remember how much we paid for a beer in there.

Nor the long walk for that matter!

I'll see you over there too, am going with the Albert.

How many of you guys are going? Not really spoken to anyone about it as we've not had any matches recently.

It wasn't the karaoke bar that we saw you in that night, another one just down the road from there. I can't remember how much we paid for a beer in there.

£3 a pint.

Negotiations didn't take long, 4 pints of Hansa my old friend, up pops the old guys head 'ahhh, my Scottish friend, you are back again, same deal as before', 'done'.

He wasn't as busy as the first time but did sit and have an ale the day after the game and said he still made the same as he would in around a month. Previous time we used his boozer he said the takings where about 3 months worth. Good old guy, might not be around the next time we play over there, gave me a big cuddle too. Awwww.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

• 2 weeks later...

Big group of us going over, really looking forward to it. Digs have been booked for a while but left travel till last minute. Flying to Belfast and getting the train down on the Tuesday morning. Got a ticket in the ballot, gonna use the three matches in Dublin to build my points up again.

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

I think most will be aware but there is going to be ticket pick ups on the day you arrive in Dublin.

i.e Arrive on Tuesday must pick up Tuesday etc.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Whats everyones points on the topic of will the irish points help you get up the ladder to get future tickets?

My opinion is yes i accept that you need to go to get the points to get ahead of all the low point members. However i dont think these points will be worth anything to you if you are currently on 0-2 points. I reckon a very high percentage of those above 5 will be going to these games. The games that are hard to get tickets for are the ones against big countries in reasonable to small stadiums ie norway holland etc. If we play Spain in a 40000 seater they still could only give us 2000 and i reckon come then there could be 2000 people above 5 points. Any thoughts?

Archived