Tgfitw - Page 5 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Tgfitw

ah the irony, that the poppy.. a symbol of remembrance.. is now the scourge of the earth.. the brutality and the suffering that the fruits of this 'flower' bring to the world, and now what.. the british army are tasked with protecting the poppy fields and the farmers who cultivate this drug.. bringing untold suffering to millions... are the british forces who protect these drug peddlers not guilty, by association or whatever.. is it one law for the army/govt and another for the 'independant' drug producers.... each time you see a poppy now.. think of our soldiers.. complicit in the mass production of drugs which ruin lives.

That reminds me of a bit of advice I was given by tid, try researching what you believe to be fact before posting it as fact, you never know what you might find out. Maybe I will take him up on that one day.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

I think FIFA are right about this, although they are not winning many pals in the process

politics and football should not mix, and it does set a precedent for other nations to follow.

don;t get me wrong, there is absolutely a time and place for remembrance, but football shirts and games are not it in my opinion.

no one should be forced to wear a poppy, and no one should be made out to be a traitor for that choice either.

Did this business of a poppy on a football shirt not start with Hearts in memory of McCrae's Battallion?

While I very much support Remembrance, in particular of the near 3000 Greenockians who lost their lives in bothe World Wars, including civilian victims of the bombing raids, I am not sure of the fashion for poppies on shirts. I say fashion as it will be a fad that will fizzle away in 4 or 5 years.

this protest is motivated by celtic fans eager to show they still support a defunct terrorist group, its somethign that never changes, any portonians ask your local landlord what the fare is like on a sunday afternoon normally (pish being the answer) but today the ancient order of hibernians provided a rebel band and it was packed to therafters, as for general protests, im not so sure, i dont have any issue with people wearing white poppies for instance, and i do in some way agree with jon snow, ie its worn far too early, and basically if you dont wear one you cant appear on the bbc, that seems like exactly the sort of political correctness many on here rile against,

il wear one on remembrance sunday, and respect any minutes silence/appluase at cappielow, as i do for any cause

Bill Nighy was on BBC 'Breakfast' this morning and didn't wear one.....

European Fairs Cup [aka Inter City Cup / UEFA Cup / Europa League], 30th September 1968: Morton (3) v Chelsea (4) !!!

I'm not really interested in the rights and wrongs of wearing a poppy TBH, I think it's up to each and every individual to make up their own mind and that should be respected either way.

What does annoy me though is the people on the telly who wear designer glittery ones as a fashion accessory, I think they're kinda missing the point.

I agree. Nobody makes anyone wear one. The glittery X Factoresque ones **** me off. No sincerity whatsoever.

Run Silent, Run Deep...

"Men who go to sea in Submarines are nothing but pirates in His Majesties uniform" Admiral of the Fleet Lord Jellicoe

I quite fancy the idea of Summer football now that it's been shown that the rules can be relaxed.

An Old Firm fixture scheduled for a certain date in July and the Rangers team running out, each wearing a Sash.

The Ton Survived & Your Pipe Dream Died

18th September 2014

Archived