Scotland Squad For Czech & Spain - Page 4 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scotland Squad For Czech & Spain

I've been supportive of every Scotland manager despite mistakes (yes even Ally MacLeod) but that performance was one of the most excruciatingly painful exhibitions I've ever seen from Scotland. The difference here was that the players were trying manfully to play what looked like a 4-6-0 enforced on them by the coach. The Czechs were simply walking it through us and we were kicking it back to them cos we had 0 strikers up front until late on. Bottom line? I've lost more confidence in a Scotland coach tonight than in any one game previously, and that includes some well-maligned recent incumbents.

I bet there was a few choice words exchanged in the Scotland changing room at FT. Naismith could get a job with the diplomatic service after his post match interview.

Alternatively, it was the start of one Scottish football's finest 90 minutes on Tuesday, because the backlash to tonight will leave anything in the last 10 years in the shade! A Scottish team with its backs to the wall etc etc etc etc.....well we can always dream.

Nope. I still don't feel any better after that!!

I'd like to think we could somehow get a shock result on Tuesday, I fear the reality is going to be that Levein will be so petrified about the fixture that by Tuesday he'll have torn any shred of confidence that the players might have had going into the game.

Don't ever remember seeing a Manager look so scared all the time, can't help feel that he's out his depth.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to think we could somehow get a shock result on Tuesday, I fear the reality is going to be that Levein will be so petrified about the fixture that by Tuesday he'll have torn any shred of confidence that the players might have had going into the game.

Don't ever remember seeing a Manager look so scared all the time, can't help feel that he's out his depth.

Not the first time I've heard that said tonight. As I said before, he under values the players and treats the games as if we are a wee third division club playing a big team in the cup.

I never thought i'd say it, but bring back george burley.

I'd lost a lot of enthusiasm for the scotland team after the lichtestein game that was a pitiful & disgaceful performance, but tonight took the ****in biscuit !!, I thought only san marino & andorra play with a flat back 10 formation...... shocking, absolutley ****in shocking.

I'm really struggling to come up with any words to describe how bad those tactics & that performance was, or how depressed & totally pissed off i am with the whole of scottish football right now. :angry:

Thank **** i didn't shell out a few hundred quid to go over there !!

The future just ain't what it used to be

Guest David Edwards
Levein is a clueless fekin idiot! He was to blame for that defeat tonight end of!!!

That formation, that game plan, was either going to be a work of genius or an act of supreme folly. Now we know the answer, to our cost. I'm not looking forward to Tuesday night.

That formation, that game plan, was either going to be a work of genius or an act of supreme folly. Now we know the answer, to our cost. I'm not looking forward to Tuesday night.

I disagree, i hate that kind of football, even if we'd got a point i'd still be ****in furious.

The future just ain't what it used to be

He looked like someone who really got it wrong in his BBC post match interview. I think the game on Tuesday night will either make or break us. The adrenalin-rush of the occasion may help banish the nerves. but you're right Cawston, the players confidence particularly in their coach must be shot after tonight. If Tuesday night goes pear-shaped then the walk-outs will start...and it might not be the players either!

Guest David Edwards
I disagree, i hate that kind of football, even if we'd got a point i'd still be ****in furious.

It would only have been genius if we'd won comfortably, given the mediocrity of the opposition. A draw against such a poor Czech side would've been bad enough, but to lose is inexcusable.

Having slept on it, I'm still angry about that performance last night. Our only saving grace is that Spain rip right through the group meaning that as long as we win our other three games (Czech's and Lithuania at home, Liechtenstein away) then we'll still get the play-off spot. Sadly, if Levein decides to experiment in competitive games - instead of friendlies like normal international gaffers - then we're screwed.

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man"

morton4rp5.png

The tactics were disgraceful however Fletcher again showed why he should be dropped. His "Cross" that hit the first man when he had about 5 mins to pick a pass was garbage, much like his entire scotland career.

This playing with lesser players doesn't wash, he should still be able to pass to lesser players.

The tactics were disgraceful however Fletcher again showed why he should be dropped. His "Cross" that hit the first man when he had about 5 mins to pick a pass was garbage, much like his entire scotland career.

This playing with lesser players doesn't wash, he should still be able to pass to lesser players.

I'm not willing to criticise any player for their performance last night, they were all somewhere from poor to dreadful and never had an opportunity to be anything else due to their manager having no tactical nous whatsoever. He's horrendously out of his depth.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Fletcher is a regular in the middle of the Man Utd team. He's won the Premier League and Champions League, and is very highly rated for the job he does. Yet we never see the best of him for Scotland. IMO he overly criticised, because he plays for Man Utd, but he is never at his best for Scotland.

Does anyone not think this is a major fail of recent Scotland managers, who never seem to send him out to play his club role? I mean, why does Fletcher need Gary Caldwell or Lee McCulloch to babysit his ball winning, running and attack starting role in midfield? Alex Ferguson would've think twice giving him this role in any big game for Man Utd.

Fletcher is a regular in the middle of the Man Utd team. He's won the Premier League and Champions League, and is very highly rated for the job he does. Yet we never see the best of him for Scotland. IMO he overly criticised, because he plays for Man Utd, but he is never at his best for Scotland.

Does anyone not think this is a major fail of recent Scotland managers, who never seem to send him out to play his club role? I mean, why does Fletcher need Gary Caldwell or Lee McCulloch to babysit his ball winning, running and attack starting role in midfield? Alex Ferguson would've think twice giving him this role in any big game for Man Utd.

Sorry mate i've heard that too many times now. Not being able to pass to a scotland players, getting caught in possession a lot is not a sign of someone out of position. He just doesn't produce for Scotland.

What nonsense. I'm a huge Fletcher fan and yes, he has had some not-so-good performances for Scotland but to even suggest that the Czech game showed anything about Fletcher is absolutely ridiculous. His role is to win the ball, and spread balls about the park. We had 11 men in our own half for 95% of the game, and Czech had all but their centre backs in our half at times .. who exactly is he supposed to pass to? I take it Dorrans/Naismith/Morrison/Mackie are s*** passers as well since they just hoofed the ball back to the Czech centre backs numerous times? Simply put - NO!

No one but Levein is at fault for the defeat on Friday night. No one.

TTG JIM!!!

Archived