Scotland Squad For Czech & Spain - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scotland Squad For Czech & Spain

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_ne...amp;newsID=6565

Sunderland goalkeeper Craig Gordon returns to the squad after injury, while nPower Championship top scorer Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers) is called up for the first time.

Charlie Adam (Blackpool)

Christophe Berra (Wolves)

Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic)

Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Steven Fletcher (Wolves)

Matt Gilks (Blackpool)

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur)

Chris Iwelumo (Burnley)

Lee McCulloch (Rangers)*

Jay McEveley (Barnsley)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Stephen McManus (Middlesbrough)

Shaun Maloney (Celtic)

Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers)

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Steven Naismith (Rangers)

Barry Robson (Middlesbrough)

David Weir (Rangers)

Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

No Boyd. Mackie's another Englishman who announced last month that he wanted to play for Scotland.

Worrying lack of defensive midfielder - especially against Czech Republic with Lee McCulloch suspended.

TTG JIM!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_ne...amp;newsID=6565

Sunderland goalkeeper Craig Gordon returns to the squad after injury, while nPower Championship top scorer Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers) is called up for the first time.

Charlie Adam (Blackpool)

Christophe Berra (Wolves)

Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic)

Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Steven Fletcher (Wolves)

Matt Gilks (Blackpool)

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur)

Chris Iwelumo (Burnley)

Lee McCulloch (Rangers)*

Jay McEveley (Barnsley)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Stephen McManus (Middlesbrough)

Shaun Maloney (Celtic)

Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers)

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Steven Naismith (Rangers)

Barry Robson (Middlesbrough)

David Weir (Rangers)

Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

No Boyd. Mackie's another Englishman who announced last month that he wanted to play for Scotland.

Worrying lack of defensive midfielder - especially against Czech Republic with Lee McCulloch suspended.

I have to admit its certainly not awe inspiring...workman like.

Fingers crossed, we are going to need a fair share of luck also.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Here's the Spain squad:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Victor Valdes (Barcelona), Pepe Reina (Liverpool)

Defenders: Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carlos Marchena (Villarreal), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Nacho Monreal (Osasuna)

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Villarreal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)

Forwards: Pedro (Barcelona), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), David Villa (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Fabregas & Xavi are injured.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

I take it you're not happy Mackie has been called up then?

Edit- Garu Caldwell can only play one game http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9047961.stm

I'm not unhappy but I know there are others who will be. He seems to be in good form at the minute, but then so is Kris Commons and we know he's not international quality. The other Englishman I'm not a fan of at all though - Jay McEveley.

When I saw the squad, my first thought was that Caldwell will be pushed up into a defensive midfield role as has been the case before. Perhaps that's what Levein is thinking what with McCulloch suspended for the first game and Hartley injured. I really rate Kevin Thomson in that role, but I think I'm right in saying he's not fully recovered from an injury as well.

TTG JIM!!!

Here's the Spain squad:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Victor Valdes (Barcelona), Pepe Reina (Liverpool)

Defenders: Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carlos Marchena (Villarreal), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Nacho Monreal (Osasuna)

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Villarreal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)

Forwards: Pedro (Barcelona), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), David Villa (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Fabregas & Xavi are injured.

I am bricking it just looking at that squad! :mellow:

Whilst always wanting to see Scotland win, and being happy to take any wee bonus that goes along with it, I have to say I'm a wee bit gutted that Xavi's out.

Missing out on the opportunity to see him in the flesh is disappointing to say the least, he was the one guy I was really looking forward to seeing when the draw was made.

Ignoring the fact that Mackie shouldn't be there because of his "playing for scotland will look good on cv" comment last week to his comment today saying he talked about playing for Scotland with his grandfather.

I dont see the point in calling someone so inexperianced at International level against 2 decent teams.

I would much rather Riordan was called up ok he hasn't been given much of a run out for Scotland but he is probably another attacking option coming off the bench.

Or maybe Levein sees him to similar to Dorrans, Naismith & Maloney.

The latter 2 having good seasons so far.

user posted image

How would you play it in the upcoming two games with that squad? I'm presuming it's going to be 5 accross the middle of the park, with 1 of those being instructed to sit in front of the defence. With McCulloch being out of the first game, and with us lacking any real natural defensive midfielders without him, we will have to be a little more open against the Czechs, however they have shown in losing to Lithuania that they are not the side that they were a few years ago. Keep Rosicky quiet and we have a good chance of getting at least a point.

Kenny Miller will then be expected to play in his usual way, chase every ball and generally make a nuisance of himself.

I imagine it will probably be something along the lines of this for the Czech Republic game

Gordon

Hutton - Weir - Caldwell - Whittaker

Naismith - D. Fletcher - Brown - Robson - McFadden

Miller

For the Spain game, I would be inclined to drop one of the wide players, McFadden probably, and bring in McCulloch to protect the defence, narrowing up the side a little and trying to stay compact. Chances in this one will most likely be at a premium, although with Miller's scoring form so far this season, we might just be able to nick one.

Gordon

Hutton - Weir - Caldwell - Whittaker

McCulloch

Naismith - D. Fletcher - Brown - Robson

Miller

If Levein sticks to his principles he can't play Gordon. He has used 'lack of games' as an excuse for not picking certain players and Gordon hasn't started for Sunderland since his injury.

He can't play McFadden, he's not in the squad, he's injured, and, Levein would have left him out for these games anyway, stating that he has 'gone off the boil' for his club, and 'needs to get club form back before he can pick him for Scotland'.

He has to play McManus, if it wasn't for McManus and 7 minutes of injury time, Levein would not have a job.

For the Czech game, he will play 4-5-1, with Weir and McManus at the back and Caldwell as a holding midfielder.

As for the Spain game, he may well play two centre-halfs to do the man-marking, and a 'sweeper' behind them. Which would mean a 5-4-1 formation.

The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is opinions

If Levein sticks to his principles he can't play Gordon. He has used 'lack of games' as an excuse for not picking certain players and Gordon hasn't started for Sunderland since his injury.

He can't play McFadden, he's not in the squad, he's injured, and, Levein would have left him out for these games anyway, stating that he has 'gone off the boil' for his club, and 'needs to get club form back before he can pick him for Scotland'.

He has to play McManus, if it wasn't for McManus and 7 minutes of injury time, Levein would not have a job.

For the Czech game, he will play 4-5-1, with Weir and McManus at the back and Caldwell as a holding midfielder.

As for the Spain game, he may well play two centre-halfs to do the man-marking, and a 'sweeper' behind them. Which would mean a 5-4-1 formation.

Didn't even notice that McFadden wasn't in the squad :ph34r: Maybe Dorrans will come into midfield then with Robson going out wide left.

You're also right about McManus, he earned his place big time with that goal.

Archived