Lithgow - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Lithgow

Probably. Our minority of bigoted fans have probably scared the Club off from signing him. He'll probably end up playing for Clyde again in Division 3. Shame really, as he is much better than Greacen. :)

I fail to see how anyone who is repulsed by the actions of a filthy pervert can be described as "bigoted".

Care to explain that one, Trotsky?

*insert signature here*

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not so far. I don't know if the verbal abuse he received from our fans was confined to booing at the pre season games but he's been called a 'paedo' on here by one or two posters. (and we all know that 'paedos' are fair game for a kicking- right ?) He will undoubtedly expect some verbals - let's face it, he's been getting it tight at every game he's played at since the story broke. Maybe says a bit about his strength of character actually and the support he's had from those around him. (He couldn't have continued without that)

I'm not saying he's been the victim of any mob, but that mentality is there imo. and I'm dead against it, as opposed to being 'really thick' I hope. :unsure:

So basically after a couple of posters on here called him bad names you have taken what you believe is the moral high ground against these people and praised a sex offender for his 'strength of character'. Do you have children ? Would you let him babysit for you ? I wouldn't, but then again I have had the misfortune to work with sex offenders in the past, maybe you have, not very nice people and have high reoffending rates. So I can understand why quite a few people would disagree with him being part of this club, and these people, as you admit, have not yet commited any offence yet you seem to be tarnishing them as mindless thugs. Would you still defend him so passionately if he reoffends while a member of our club?

I am one of those who has said on here that I will not knowingly contribute to Lithgow's wages. Am I bigot , what am I not allowed to be weary of someone convicted of a criminal act ? Does that not directly affect how people will see him ?

I am not hounding the guy out , no one is to my knowledge but as any free willed individual I have the right to decide where and when I spend my money.

Like or not thats how I feel> I will happily stick with my convictions and you are welcome to Mr Lithgows.

So basically after a couple of posters on here called him bad names you have taken what you believe is the moral high ground against these people and praised a sex offender for his 'strength of character'. Do you have children ? Would you let him babysit for you ? I wouldn't, but then again I have had the misfortune to work with sex offenders in the past, maybe you have, not very nice people and have high reoffending rates. So I can understand why quite a few people would disagree with him being part of this club, and these people, as you admit, have not yet commited any offence yet you seem to be tarnishing them as mindless thugs. Would you still defend him so passionately if he reoffends while a member of our club?

To answer the last part first - If he reoffended while at the club, he would probably be 'indefensible' I agree with giving him a chance basically. I know with 'some' sex offenders it's a case of when they will reoffend rather than if. I feel that he is extremely 'low risk' in that respect.

I wouldn't be mad about him babysitting for me tbh, but then a/ I dont know the guy and b/ I'm not advocating him for a position as babysitter.

I accept that I can be a sanctimonious bastrt but dont feel as though I'm on the high ground here - just calling it as I see it.

I should add that people 'who haven't committed any offence' probably have quite a lot in common with the group of people 'who haven't been caught yet'

I would like to add the standard disclaimer to this post (on the grounds of moderate to severe alcohol consumption) :blush:

Show Racism the Red Card

I am one of those who has said on here that I will not knowingly contribute to Lithgow's wages. Am I bigot , what am I not allowed to be weary of someone convicted of a criminal act ? Does that not directly affect how people will see him ?

I am not hounding the guy out , no one is to my knowledge but as any free willed individual I have the right to decide where and when I spend my money.

Like or not thats how I feel> I will happily stick with my convictions and you are welcome to Mr Lithgows.

I refer to my earlier reply. The ones convicted might be less devious then the ones not (yet) convicted. Not suggesting that any of us have displayed our tackle in public or committed sex offences, but there'll be very few who haven't committed a criminal act. I'd wager.

I still think you're making a mistake missing out on the 'ton because of one individual. and I'm accused of taking the moral high ground?

Show Racism the Red Card

Folks, I think people are going to have to agree to disagree on this one and let it go. It has been going round in circles for weeks since it was first known that we were interested in Lithgow and it's getting tiresome now. Why not do something more positive like supporting the team and getting us up the league, eh?

*and no, I ain't pished* ^_^

Probably. Our minority of bigoted fans have probably scared the Club off from signing him. He'll probably end up playing for Clyde again in Division 3. Shame really, as he is much better than Greacen. :)

So anyone that doesn't approve of a registered sex offender is a bigot?

To answer the last part first - If he reoffended while at the club, he would probably be 'indefensible' I agree with giving him a chance basically. I know with 'some' sex offenders it's a case of when they will reoffend rather than if. I feel that he is extremely 'low risk' in that respect.

I wouldn't be mad about him babysitting for me tbh, but then a/ I dont know the guy and b/ I'm not advocating him for a position as babysitter.

I accept that I can be a sanctimonious bastrt but dont feel as though I'm on the high ground here - just calling it as I see it.

I should add that people 'who haven't committed any offence' probably have quite a lot in common with the group of people 'who haven't been caught yet'

I would like to add the standard disclaimer to this post (on the grounds of moderate to severe alcohol consumption) :blush:

Aye very good - the old "I'm pished" caveat to stupid posting. As other posters have said ther is no lynch mob, no public protests, threats or or actual acts of violence. As for all this "those without sin" garbage, there is a bit of a difference from getting a parking ticket to being placed on the sex offenders' register.

As for the post going on about family clubs and asking what other clubs are there that are not family clubs, are you suggesting that Morton have a duty to sign him because no-one else will?

I wasn't going to post on this subject again and hope not to again but I do object to a couple of clowns making out that anyone who has a problem with the fact that the club are on the brink of signing a registered sex offender is a bigot.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

Folks, I think people are going to have to agree to disagree on this one and let it go. It has been going round in circles for weeks since it was first known that we were interested in Lithgow and it's getting tiresome now. Why not do something more positive like supporting the team and getting us up the league, eh?

Sound advice to us all I suggest.

A sensible post? :blink:

Well said mate

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

If Moore feels that Lithgow merits a contract on footballing terms and he feels that the player is showing a good attitude towards the team and fits in well to the squad, then I think a 1 year deal would be fair enough. Nobody condones what he has done and that has been reflected by his dealings with our justice system. Ideally, if we had two good defenders on trial, one who was a sex offender and one who was not, then it would be an easy decision; but unfortunately we don't and the club has a very difficult decision to make that will, either way, be wrong with some people, so don't expect the club to get this decision right for everybody.

Personally I will still go along to support the team in the same way I have when previous players have had brushes with the law for a variety of offences, I may not get that player's name and number on my shirt, but I won't give them a hard time either, hopefully their conscience will be doing that for them.

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

I see that some of his 'supporters' are also posting on the newton thread, with views that would seem to contradict their stance on this subject. One player, no matter how good he is, is not bigger than this club. We have taken players on in the past with 'baggage' but this on a different level and i think the damage to the reputation of the club would exceed the benefit that this player could offer to the future success of the team.

I see that some of his 'supporters' are also posting on the newton thread, with views that would seem to contradict their stance on this subject. One player, no matter how good he is, is not bigger than this club. We have taken players on in the past with 'baggage' but this on a different level and i think the damage to the reputation of the club would exceed the benefit that this player could offer to the future success of the team.

I don't think there would be any great damage to the club's reputation, to be honest. Nor do I see a link with the Newton thread.

Whilst like anything to do with sex offences I have reservations about getting involved with such an individual, as I've said before the fact we have a Sex Offenders Register really just reflects society's prejudices - in fact it grew up out of understandable paranoia about paedophiles living in our communities. We don't publicise details of serial assaulters or drug dealers.

So for me, I guess its on a par with when we signed Monti and he had his serious assault case hanging over him - I felt a bit uneasy, but on balance we weren't signing a serial killer so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I'll do the same with Lithgow - I haven't actually seen him play, I'm hoping he's as good as most folk say he is.

On p+b a Clyde fan at firhill today says Alan Lithgow was sitting in the stand.

Do you think he might sign elsewhere?

Is it just possible that he wanted to see the game?

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Don't know what he did !!! Flashing ???

Daft teenager or what ?

Lots of guys wear kilts and think its funny to flash constantly.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt and on last weeks display , give him a years contract, with a clause;

any repetition and he's oot the door.

Footballer not primary teacher

Foobs :ph34r:

Don't know what he did !!! Flashing ???

Daft teenager or what ?

Lots of guys wear kilts and think its funny to flash constantly.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt and on last weeks display , give him a years contract, with a clause;

any repetition and he's oot the door.

Footballer not primary teacher

Foobs :ph34r:

Bit more than that foobs.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Whilst like anything to do with sex offences I have reservations about getting involved with such an individual, as I've said before the fact we have a Sex Offenders Register really just reflects society's prejudices - in fact it grew up out of understandable paranoia about paedophiles living in our communities. We don't publicise details of serial assaulters or drug dealers.

So for me, I guess its on a par with when we signed Monti and he had his serious assault case hanging over him - I felt a bit uneasy, but on balance we weren't signing a serial killer so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I'll do the same with Lithgow - I haven't actually seen him play, I'm hoping he's as good as most folk say he is.

It ain't on a par with Monti !! He was the victim who came off better he was attacked and battered the guy, was it excessive force or just the fact the guy had picked of someone who was physically fit

So unless their are a group of new mothers going round Lanarkshire flashing their gash at unsuspecting drivers how is it on a par.

Monti was admonished Lithgow got put on the sex offenders register as well as receiving community service not even in the same ball park .

It ain't on a par with Monti !! He was the victim who came off better he was attacked and battered the guy, was it excessive force or just the fact the guy had picked of someone who was physically fit

So unless their are a group of new mothers going round Lanarkshire flashing their gash at unsuspecting drivers how is it on a par.

Monti was admonished Lithgow got put on the sex offenders register as well as receiving community service not even in the same ball park .

Think you've missed my point - the comparison was about how I felt at the time, signing a guy who had put someone in a coma. I don't condone what Lithgow did, but I also don't condone what Monti did, provoked or not. I didn't, at the time of his signing, know that he would be cleared, but its still not in any doubt that he must have fought back pretty strongly.

I think we need to put all crimes in perspective - and I think most people agree with that - the problem is that everyone's perspective is different, so as suggested we should all agree to differ.

Think you've missed my point - the comparison was about how I felt at the time, signing a guy who had put someone in a coma. I don't condone what Lithgow did, but I also don't condone what Monti did, provoked or not. I didn't, at the time of his signing, know that he would be cleared, but its still not in any doubt that he must have fought back pretty strongly.

I think we need to put all crimes in perspective - and I think most people agree with that - the problem is that everyone's perspective is different, so as suggested we should all agree to differ.

I had my reservation about Monti until I was made aware of the circumstances, would the guy who attacked him have any consideration for Monti's well being if the guy had got the better of Monti.

Bit more than that foobs.

I'd tend to agree with Foobs if it was a one off drunken incident or something.

The case with Lithgow is, he comes into the category of a serial offender. Was it 4 times? Nah, no excuses for that.

He wasn't in the squad again today and didn't see him with any of the players. I take it he hasn't accepted out contract?

I am really pleased about this as couldn't bring myself to even applaud this guy.

We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Archived