Two Thirds Of Scotlands Football Clubs Have Organised Hooligans - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Two Thirds Of Scotlands Football Clubs Have Organised Hooligans

AJCTON

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In the 1980's you had young men coming from urban areas into city centres to cause large scale disruption involving CS gas, petrol bombs and knives - a huge gang culture," explained Bradley Welsh, a once notorious casual who followed Hibernian."What you have now is a bunch of young middle class lads wearing designer clothes and going along seeking high-jinx for self-esteem - there's a huge difference."I think all of us who attended football in the 1980's are not taking this revival too seriously. For a period casuals were part and parcel at just about every ground in Scotland. I believe the best take on the period was the badly written book by Jay Allan titled Bloody Casuals. He was one of the original Aberdeen 'crew' and the first Scottish casual to be jailed for football related violence. He only lists about a dozen mobs as being worthy of attention, including the Love Street Division who for certain fixtures (Aberdeen), the author, maintains had their ranks swelled by Rangers casuals.

In the 80s the following teams definitely had casual firms, and most of them fairly active.

Aberdeen, celtic, rangers, hibs, hearts, motherwell, Falkirk, airdrie, Partick thistle, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Dundee, morton, St mirren, raith, St Johnstone and probably a few more.

In terms of visitors st mirren often had rangers lads and vice versa. Morton lads were got on fairly well with hearts lads as I remember. Most of the big teams had southern visitors as well. Celtic and Wrexham, rangers and Chelsea, Aberdeen and spurs, airdrie and wigan. The scene is by and large dead. Jail sentences for even first time offenders took care of a lot of it. Wish they'd do the same for knife crime.

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Most teams in the 1980's had some element of casuals I was just highlighting the views of the lad Jay Allan. His view was the only mobs worth mentioning (in order of numbers) Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Celtic, Hearts, St Mirren, Montrose, Arbroath and St Johnstone.

He was also not particularly taken with Morton who he dismissed as fearties!

I was working in Edinburgh and Aberdeen during this period. Being a shytebag I had no interest in the casual scene but did witness some spectacular moments of carnage around Easter Road and along London Road.

Hardly a surprise this is a hot topic, given the proposed football bill here in Scotland - which, btw, is essentially bullying of football fans.

There will be groups like 'the green brigade' and 'the union bears' who will probably be considered as (and even consider themselves as)'hooligans' or 'casuals' when in reality they're just attention seeking f@nnies.

Theyve no class.

*insert signature here*

In the 80s the following teams definitely had casual firms, and most of them fairly active.

Aberdeen, celtic, rangers, hibs, hearts, motherwell, Falkirk, airdrie, Partick thistle, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Dundee, morton, St mirren, raith, St Johnstone and probably a few more.

In terms of visitors st mirren often had rangers lads and vice versa. Morton lads were got on fairly well with hearts lads as I remember. Most of the big teams had southern visitors as well. Celtic and Wrexham, rangers and Chelsea, Aberdeen and spurs, airdrie and wigan. The scene is by and large dead. Jail sentences for even first time offenders took care of a lot of it. Wish they'd do the same for knife crime.

Most teams in the 1980's had some element of casuals I was just highlighting the views of the lad Jay Allan. His view was the only mobs worth mentioning (in order of numbers) Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Celtic, Hearts, St Mirren, Montrose, Arbroath and St Johnstone .

I'm surprised Airdrie never got a mention, as they were probably one of the most famous (or infamous) throughout the years.

*insert signature here*

It will be interesting to see if anyone replies to that one Geordie ! There's still a few people on here from back in the day.

The MSC certainly gave Celtic CSC a good going over at the cup game at Cappielow a couple of years back, and the LSD got a bit of a hiding a couple of years ago as well - so there's obviously some people still interested. But the advent of mobile phones, CCTV, and the risk of jail has seen the whole casual scene diminish. As above, the 80's were always interesting - there was a good few years when you were guaranteed to see a ruck in the Cowshed most match days, especially when you used to be able to swap ends at half time through the gate at the back !  

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

It will be interesting to see if anyone replies to that one Geordie ! 

Ha! I did admit it was based on very limited knowledge. :)

I worked in East Kilbride in the mid-to-late 80s and a few of the lads I worked with were Mortherwell, Hamilton, Rangers and Celtic casuals who were involved in all that malarkey. Always confused me that they'd get on perfectly fine with each other at work during the week, and kick seven shades of shite out of each other at the weekend. The only thing they had in common was their contempt for the Morton casuals of the time who they didn't rate at all.

Didn't bother me in the slightest as I was only ever interested in the football. Must admit that I never really understood or felt comfortable with the whole glorification of violence thing.

Do casuals have any idea how effete they sound when they say things like 'slaps' and 'baby crew' and 'top boy'? Polari with a lisp is less camp.

They probably think that about you when you use terms like 'effete' or when you give your quasi-sociology anecdotes about Achmed the rapey kebab burning refugee from Koblenz.

:)

*insert signature here*

They probably think that about you when you use terms like 'effete' or when you give your quasi-sociology anecdotes about Achmed the rapey kebab burning refugee from Koblenz.

:lol: No doubt. But really, there's something of the Spartan about these guys and their sociolect. Rampant bummers.

EOho8Pw.png

Can't say that I'm a fan of his Trumping on the refugee thread myself, but 'quasi-sociology' is a strong insult.

I'd expect him to shoot you in response like any American redneck tbh.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Can't say that I'm a fan of his Trumping on the refugee thread myself, but 'quasi-sociology' is a strong insult.

Nah, but he's got you as a goddam communist.  

He says something about your 'sociolect' too.  I think he means you buy all your best clobber from Sports Direct.  :)

*insert signature here*

I don't even own a gun. I have no need for one. Once a year or so I go range shooting with my father in law and use one of his. If I did own one I'd keep it locked up at the range.

EOho8Pw.png

I don't even own a gun. I have no need for one. Once a year or so I go range shooting with my father in law and use one of his. If I did own one I'd keep it locked up at the range.

:lol:

Go on - play your 'Trumping' card.

Ask him why he doesn't keep his Sports Direct clobber locked up on the ranch?

*insert signature here*

Archived