How s***e Are Aston Villa? - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

How s***e Are Aston Villa?

Bottom of the English premiership and certainties for relegation; and struggling to get a draw against League 2 also-rans Wycombe Wanderers.

With bigger and richer clubs like Newcastle United and Sunderland hovering over the trap door to the championship, and with strong clubs like Derby, Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wed, Ipswich, QPR and Birmingham all populating the Championship, they may not come back up for several years.

It may be a good thing in the long run for Aston Villa to spend a decade or so in the lower echelons of the Championship, as it may give their supporters something to get excited about, as they don't exactly contribute anything to the Premiership and havent done for several years now.

Discuss.

*insert signature here*

Aston Villa will join dross like Birmingham in the second tier next season. The latter aren't a strong side at all IMO - they've failed several times at that level recently, including narrowly avoiding relegation to League One last season IIRC. The current expectations for both of those cubs confirms that not only is Birmingham the biggest tip in the British Isles, but that it's also devoid of any football talent as well. Aston Villa, Birmingham and close neighbours like Wolves are simply pointless outfits. They don't have the attraction of a London club, nor the 'history' of certain northern clubs, both of which guarantees a steady stream of investors, Walter Mittys or otherwise, into the English game.

Unless they use the transfer window and remainder of the season to prepare for their upcoming Championship campaign then they'll stay down there for some time.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

This is going to sound nerdy as fuck but that, I think, is the story of the post-Industrial Revolution Midlands in general. I'm old enough to remember when ITV still had all its regional channels, and it was Central Television that always came out with the most beige shite imaginable. Whenever their logo came on you knew it was time to change the channel.

Really we should dig two massive trenches across the country - say from Lowestoft to Haverfordwest in the South, and Bangor and Skegness to the North. Lower the intervening landmass by a few hundred feet. Build HS2 and motorways over the top, directly to Glasgow (with a branch line to Stockton, preferably right across from the childhood home of Brian Wake). Suspend Northern Ireland from the bridges equidistant between the new 'Lower Midlands' and the arterial roads. Then pull up all the ladders.

EOho8Pw.png

I've worked in Birmingham quite a few times over the years and I have to say I found the people to be some of the friendliest I've met in my travels. Sure the city isn't the prettiest but name one industrial town that is. As for the football their clubs are no different from the vast majority of 'pointless' clubs in the world of football.

Whilst the current Villa team is absolute dross it was not always thus. They were formed about the same time as us and have won the European Cup and the Super Cup or whatever it is called as well as the FA Cup about seven times. The stadium is not too shabby and easy to get to from the M6. Think they have suffered from the fact that their long term owner Doug Ellis was too embedded in trying to break even and not spending in anticipation of the boom in TV money. Randy Slow Learner the current American owner is pretty clueless and has appointed some complete diddies on the admin side. Last week one was crowing about how well shirt sales were holding up!

Fairly decent youth set up but too many decentish players sold and not enough spent on new players or top rate managers and back ground staff. No idea how much Randy and his cronies are raking out.

Centre of Birmingham is pretty decent and lively these days.

Believe it or not Villa have tried to break into the Dallas market (over 7 million people in our metropolitan/media area.) They played a friendly with FC Dallas last year and put it live on YouTube for tree. They also had, and maybe still have, a weekly highlights and behind the scenes show on a relatively obscure local TV sports channel.

Inexplicably these measures have yet to result in a commercial boon in North Texas, where the most common shirts remain United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Madrid, Barcelona, and those of Mexican teams (mainly Club America, Chivas, and recently Leon.)

EOho8Pw.png

This is going to sound nerdy as **** but that, I think, is the story of the post-Industrial Revolution Midlands in general. I'm old enough to remember when ITV still had all its regional channels, and it was Central Television that always came out with the most beige s***e imaginable. Whenever their logo came on you knew it was time to change the channel.

Central TV made Auf Wiedersehen Pet. So it wasn't all bad.

Really we should dig two massive trenches across the country - say from Lowestoft to Haverfordwest in the South, and Bangor and Skegness to the North. Lower the intervening landmass by a few hundred feet. Build HS2 and motorways over the top, directly to Glasgow (with a branch line to Stockton, preferably right across from the childhood home of Brian Wake). Suspend Northern Ireland from the bridges equidistant between the new 'Lower Midlands' and the arterial roads. Then pull up all the ladders.

Way to much time on your hands, thinking shit like that.

*insert signature here*

I've worked in Birmingham quite a few times over the years and I have to say I found the people to be some of the friendliest I've met in my travels. Sure the city isn't the prettiest but name one industrial town that is. As for the football their clubs are no different from the vast majority of 'pointless' clubs in the world of football.

I do a fair amount of work in the West Midlands and normally all I see is Brum Airport, and the monorail to the NEC Station, then a taxi to wherever I'm heading. A pretty nondescript place to be fair.

Anyway, this is a thread about Aston Villa being shit at football, not about the people of Birmingham and I've been called a 'racist jakey' once already this evening.

*insert signature here*

Whilst the current Villa team is absolute dross it was not always thus. They were formed about the same time as us and have won the European Cup and the Super Cup or whatever it is called as well as the FA Cup about seven times. The stadium is not too shabby and easy to get to from the M6. Think they have suffered from the fact that their long term owner Doug Ellis was too embedded in trying to break even and not spending in anticipation of the boom in TV money.

Doug Ellis spent massively on players between the early 1990s to his eventual departure in the mid 2000s.

Randy Slow Learner the current American owner is pretty clueless and has appointed some complete diddies on the admin side. Last week one was crowing about how well shirt sales were holding up!

Fairly decent youth set up but too many decentish players sold and not enough spent on new players or top rate managers and back ground staff. No idea how much Randy and his cronies are raking out.

tumblr_n3yfkrH2VP1qdvbhzo1_500.gif

Centre of Birmingham is pretty decent and lively these days.

no-Will-Ferrell-nope-no-way-GIF.gif?gs=a

*insert signature here*

Anyway, this is a thread about Aston Villa being s*** at football, not about the people of Birmingham and I've been called a 'racist jakey' once already this evening.

Shut it ya jakey racist.

• 1 month later...

Archived