World Cup 2018 - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

World Cup 2018

TRVMP

Also re: cappiecat's impending reign of terror over the streets of Kazan - I do wonder how it's going to go. Many parts of Russia are pretty much lawless but you'd have to think that they'd have the cities locked down for this, a bit like South Africa. I was in Durban and Port Elizabeth for the 2010 World Cup, was leaving the stadium and waiting for cabs at night etc. and didn't see a sniff of trouble anywhere, but I heard afterwards that policing levels were far, far above the norm. Russia can suppress violence very effectively when it wants to, so the question will be whether or not they want to, or whether or not they're OK with a bit of football rioting.

There's always a sizeable police presence in Moscow anyway, with metal detectors and sniffer dogs being common in all major venues and buildings. The Police presence at the stadiums is incredible. I think any violence that happens in the city, involving Russian hooligans, will be somewhat pre-arranged. Wonderful :) 

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

There's always a sizeable police presence in Moscow anyway, with metal detectors and sniffer dogs being common in all major venues and buildings. The Police presence at the stadiums is incredible. I think any violence that happens in the city, involving Russian hooligans, will be somewhat pre-arranged. Wonderful :)

I doubt they'll find much opposition other than the likes of the Poles. The English won't be daft enough to have a pop back at them.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I sincerely hope not, not on their own turf. I'd rather take a beating from some Russian hooligans than the Russian police, because the hooligans eventually have to let you go.

At the end of the day the World Cup should only be held in first world countries but it looks like that ship has sailed so we'll make the best of it.

Anyway, Peru just went 2-0 up against New Zealand so it looks like they'll be the final entrants, their first time since 1982. Peru is a bit like Scotland in that they're absolutely football mad but also a bit crap. 1978 notwithstanding I'd like to see them do well in Russia.

EOho8Pw.png

I sincerely hope not, not on their own turf. I'd rather take a beating from some Russian hooligans than the Russian police, because the hooligans eventually have to let you go.

At the end of the day the World Cup should only be held in first world countries but it looks like that ship has sailed so we'll make the best of it.

Anyway, Peru just went 2-0 up against New Zealand so it looks like they'll be the final entrants, their first time since 1982. Peru is a bit like Scotland in that they're absolutely football mad but also a bit crap. 1978 notwithstanding I'd like to see them do well in Russia.

Aye, I've been sitting watching a stream of it. Was quite impressed with New Zealand early in the second half and held out hopes that they might sneak back into it but that goalkeeper wants shooting for giving away the corner that eventually led to the second goal.

On another note, the atmosphere looks tremendous and the stadium an absolute bear pit. Outstanding.

Aye, I've been sitting watching a stream of it. Was quite impressed with New Zealand early in the second half and held out hopes that they might sneak back into it but that goalkeeper wants shooting for giving away the corner that eventually led to the second goal.

On another note, the atmosphere looks tremendous and the stadium an absolute bear pit. Outstanding.

Yes, NZ have not been bad at all, but it's been a story of set-pieces. Peru have taken theirs and NZ, particularly Wood, have not, not to mention as you say that ridiculous corner concession. (Shades of whoever-it-was at Livingston in that massively windy game a few years ago.) Bit of a shame because Marinovic has been quite good.

Lima is on my list of places to visit for football. Their national stadium is great but there's no league football played there (at least with Hampden, if you're a tourist, you can go and watch QP, but for Peru it's the national team or nothing.) The two major clubs in Peru have their own stadiums. One of them, the Monumental, is absolutely ridiculous. It's owned by Universitario, the giants of Peru, and has a capacity of around 80,000. It's a horrific concrete mess and has never come close to being full, either for football or concerts. Google Street View shows you how cheap and nasty it is, despite being constructed very recently. (Haven't checked but I'd be surprised if Universitario have a bigger average than 10,000 this season, probably a lot lower, based on the games I've watched.) Alianza Lima have a much smaller stadium that's basically a massive Cappielow and has a great atmosphere when it's busy, which isn't often. Alianza also used to have a goalkeeper named George Forsyth, a Peruvian noble of German, Venezuelan, and Scottish descent, who last I checked was a member of the Peruvian parliament. Plenty of other teams in the metropolitan area, including Sporting Cristal, named for a brewery. (My next trip is Monterrey, Mexico this coming February, once the fixtures are announced. Peru will be after that, hopefully in time for a World Cup warm-up.)

EOho8Pw.png

Chris Wood just skited a one-on-one, fair to say this is over.

Peru made a late sub, didn't catch his name, and he looks like a jacked Wesley Sneijder. It's absolutely uncanny, it's exactly what Sneijder would have looked it if he grew up on a diet of steroids.

Well done to Peru, their first World Cup in 36 years. I'll be cheering them on in 2018 since neither Scotland nor the US has made it.

EOho8Pw.png

Sorry-not-sorry for the spam but there's a good old fashioned pitch invasion now, so I definitely want them to do well. They just zoomed in on some old boy with a replica top on running up and hugging the manager screaming "gracias, gracias!" Scenic.

EOho8Pw.png

Sorry-not-sorry for the spam but there's a good old fashioned pitch invasion now, so I definitely want them to do well. They just zoomed in on some old boy with a replica top on running up and hugging the manager screaming "gracias, gracias!" Scenic.

Another point- the Peru coach is an absolute spit of Cesar Luis Menotti, who coached Argentina to the 1978 World Cup win. That's how a South American football coach should look. 

Good spot, hadn't even noticed that. Over here on beIN Sport the co-commentator Ray Hudson called him Steve Tyler at one point.

I remember Ray Hudson playing on loan for us, from Newcastle in 1975.
I'd love to have you both for dinner

Archived