Romelu Lukaku - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Romelu Lukaku

TheGoon

There's no genuinely good reason to explain why Kick It Out have registered their strongly worded objection though: they're just scrambling for relevance and some extra funding. 

A pointless, self-declared arbiter of what is 'offensive': with as much credibility as Nil by Mouth's attempts to tackle sectarianism by declaring, err, just about everything to be 'sectarian'. 

I remember a few years ago Paul Elliott had to step down from Kick It Out for calling another black man the n-word, which seemed to me hugely ridiculous and massively unfair to him. He also got kicked off the FA thing he was on. Then again, he'd be well aware that language is power and that the walls have ears.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no genuinely good reason to explain why Kick It Out have registered their strongly worded objection though: they're just scrambling for relevance and some extra funding.

A pointless, self-declared arbiter of what is 'offensive': with as much credibility as Nil by Mouth's attempts to tackle sectarianism by declaring, err, just about everything to be 'sectarian'.

The genuinely good reason is that football fans were singing and spreading a song (in the sense that clips of it had been widely shared) based on a racist stereotype that black athletes in the past have been quick to condemn (see the Christie example above). It’s not just an example of classing ‘everything’ as racist: it’s calling out/informing people about the negative connotations of the song/stereotype.

Can see your point but racism/stereotyping is about a group so I’m not sure it’s as easy as saying this individual reactedin a particular way.

You're conflating racism and stereotyping though, and they're not always the same thing. While of course some racial stereotyping could be considered to be overtly racist by most reasonable people, it's not necessarily the case that all stereotyping is. For example, some black males may take their stereotypical association with big knobs as a compliment and something to be proud of. Surely as by and large we're not the victims of racism and racial stereotyping, it's not really for us to decide on behalf of black people what they should and shouldn't  be offended by. I'd take the thoughts and opinions of Lukaku himself on this matter far more seriously than some unelected Quango who unilaterally declare themselves to be society's arbitrators of what is and isn't offensive.

If Lukaku himself says he finds the song offensive and/or racist then they should stop singing it immediately. Otherwise it's a non-issue IMO.

You're conflating racism and stereotyping though, and they're not always the same thing. While of course some racial stereotyping could be considered to be overtly racist by most reasonable people, it's not necessarily the case that all stereotyping is. For example, some black males may take their stereotypical association with big knobs as a compliment and something to be proud of. Surely as by and large we're not the victims of racism and racial stereotyping, it's not really for us to decide on behalf of black people what they should and shouldn't  be offended by. I'd take the thoughts and opinions of Lukaku himself on this matter far more seriously than some unelected Quango who unilaterally declare themselves to be society's arbitrators of what is and isn't offensive.

If Lukaku himself says he finds the song offensive and/or racist then they should stop singing it immediately. Otherwise it's a non-issue IMO.

Quick note - it's far from unilateral. Kick It Out is funded in the main by the FA. They are as close to an official body as there is, other than the FA itself, on this subject. 

EOho8Pw.png

You're conflating racism and stereotyping though, and they're not always the same thing. While of course some racial stereotyping could be considered to be overtly racist by most reasonable people, it's not necessarily the case that all stereotyping is. For example, some black males may take their stereotypical association with big knobs as a compliment and something to be proud of. Surely as by and large we're not the victims of racism and racial stereotyping, it's not really for us to decide on behalf of black people what they should and shouldn't be offended by. I'd take the thoughts and opinions of Lukaku himself on this matter far more seriously than some unelected Quango who unilaterally declare themselves to be society's arbitrators of what is and isn't offensive.

Yes but this is a racist stereotype with a pretty grim history. Hence why black players and people more generally might with good reason find it offensive (just to repeat the Linford Christie example because it’s at the top of my head and high profile) even if Lukaku himself does not (which isn’t clear).

Quick note - it's far from unilateral. Kick It Out is funded in the main by the FA. They are as close to an official body as there is, other than the FA itself, on this subject.

Yep - and black players have been vocal about their inaction around certain issues (was it the Terry incident that led to black players boycotting campaigns in the past?).

Yep - and black players have been vocal about their inaction around certain issues (was it the Terry incident that led to black players boycotting campaigns in the past?).

I don't recall, but the Terry thing was dealt with remarkably quickly and he was almost immediately rehabilitated by the establishment. Try to imagine if he wasn't an England international. Or if he was, say, South American or Japanese or something. His feet wouldn't have touched the floor before he was exiled.

EOho8Pw.png

Yes but this is a racist stereotype with a pretty grim history. 

Of course it has, and overtly racist stereotyping should of course be seen for what it is and be roundly condemned, and I think by and large it is by the vast majority of educated and reasonable people.

But there's also a huge grey area where there is no consensus even among the alleged 'victims' if certain stereotypes are racist and/or offensive. And it's this area where I think it's best left to those individuals to make the call rather than make a blanket assertion that all stereotyping is by definition offensive and racist.

The Terry incident led to Rio Ferdinand (who had a very tenuous link to the incident) boycotting wearing a tee shirt in his warm up for the next anti racism fortnight, after IIRC assuring Alex Ferguson that he would, because, well, he's Rio Ferdinand, and attracting attention to himself is what Rio Ferdinand does.

He could've put his tuppence worth in at the time and used his profile to work towards a positive conclusion, but, being Rio Ferdinand, he decided to make it all about Rio Ferdinand.

Rio Ferdinand's a dick.

I see he's trying to get into professional boxing. 

Is it just me, or does anyone else find this a complete and utter stain on the sport of boxing. Totally degrading as well, given that it seems that folk are turning their hands at boxing as some sort of easy sport. 

Not to mention that he hasn't long lost his wife - one wrong punch and his kids are fatherless as well. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I see he's trying to get into professional boxing. 

Is it just me, or does anyone else find this a complete and utter stain on the sport of boxing. Totally degrading as well, given that it seems that folk are turning their hands at boxing as some sort of easy sport. 

Not to mention that he hasn't long lost his wife - one wrong punch and his kids are fatherless as well. 

Boxings reputation has been in tatters for as long as anyone can remember. Adding another tabloid fodder wannabe to the pantomime won't make much difference.

The genuinely good reason is that football fans were singing and spreading a song (in the sense that clips of it had been widely shared) based on a racist stereotype that black athletes in the past have been quick to condemn (see the Christie example above). It’s not just an example of classing ‘everything’ as racist: it’s calling out/informing people about the negative connotations of the song/stereotype.

But not in the actual circumstances being discussed, right now. Kick It Out having a hysterical, shrieking reaction about it then simply costs them respect among the vast majority of the population who a) believe that context matters and B) aren't professional victim-mongers.

It's a disastrous intervention on their part because their officials are starved of attention.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

But not in the actual circumstances being discussed, right now. Kick It Out having a hysterical, shrieking reaction about it then simply costs them respect among the vast majority of the population who a) believe that context matters and B) aren't professional victim-mongers.

It's a disastrous intervention on their part because their officials are starved of attention.

The thing that worries me is, by 'crying wolf' on non-issues like this they lose respect, credibility and influence, which will then dilute their effectiveness when they try to intervene in cases of genuine racism. This 'machine gun' approach does them and the anti-racism cause no good at all.

The thing that worries me is, by 'crying wolf' on non-issues like this they lose respect, credibility and influence, which will then dilute their effectiveness when they try to intervene in cases of genuine racism. This 'machine gun' approach does them and the anti-racism cause no good at all.

That turns on this being a non-issue, which is highly questionable.

Archived