439 replies to this topic

#421 cmdc

cmdc

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4958 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

At the risk of saying it once more for tedium, the difference between finishing third and finishing ninth is 200k, or pretty much all of the 300k losses. Couple that with increased revenue if challenging for the league and making decent business decisions like firing an ineffective CEO and getting someone decent in to grow the business and profitability is not some aspirational ask. This whole sustainability s***e should be seen As, and pointed and laughed at, as the most brainless idea ever, given it is,by it's very ambition, condemning you to deliberately give up on that 200k every year by definition. None of this is hard.

A major problem being that we don’t have any cover if we speculate to accumulate and fail to finish third - which has happened to us and to other clubs in the past. The owners will no longer absorb those losses or underwrite that risk. In that context we simply have to budget cautiously until such times as new investment or ownership comes along.

Edited by cmdc, 15 April 2019 - 12:34 PM.

#422 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18781 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

This whole sustainability s***e should be seen As, and pointed and laughed at, as the most brainless idea ever, 

You forgot about spunking £100k of the club's first significant profit ever in decades on some shan electronic turnstiles, another Iron Man classic.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#423 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7253 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

A major problem being that we don’t have any cover if we speculate to accumulate and fail to finish third - which has happened to us and to other clubs in the past. The owners will no longer absorb those losses or underwrite that risk. In that context we simply have to budget cautiously until such times as new investment or ownership comes along.

s***ebags. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#424 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18781 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

If the club wanted to 'budget cautiously' then it shouldn't have handed a novice dud of a manager a nearly two-year contract. If the club wanted to 'budget cautiously' then it shouldn't have let said manager already sign up a dung midfielder, who can't even get a game in a side currently winless in six, for next season. If the club wanted to 'budget cautiously' then it shouldn't have spunked a large part of its only significant profit in decades (and at a time when Douglas Rae was hardly a spring chicken) on a set of shan turnstiles. There is nothing 'cautious' about Iron Man and the club's actions. It is rather a complete lack of ambition for the first team squad combined with recklessness when it comes to all of the big decisions. 

Professional football is an industry that massively incentivises progression and punishes a lack of ambition with ever-declining returns. You can't just point to a set of account books to reverse that process, nor will they get season tickets flying out the front office in a few months time. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#425 cmdc

cmdc

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4958 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

If the club wanted to 'budget cautiously' then it shouldn't have handed a novice dud of a manager a nearly two-year contract. If the club wanted to 'budget cautiously' then it shouldn't have let said manager already sign up a dung midfielder, who can't even get a game in a side currently winless in six, for next season. If the club wanted to 'budget cautiously' then it shouldn't have spunked a large part of its only significant profit in decades (and at a time when Douglas Rae was hardly a spring chicken) on a set of shan turnstiles. There is nothing 'cautious' about Iron Man and the club's actions. It is rather a complete lack of ambition for the first team squad combined with recklessness when it comes to all of the big decisions. 

Professional football is an industry that massively incentivises progression and punishes a lack of ambition with ever-declining returns. You can't just point to a set of account books to reverse that process, nor will they get season tickets flying out the front office in a few months time. 

Well, those are different arguments to my point which is purely that we are no longer in a position to speculate (i.e. to spend more in the hope of achieving a higher finish and more prize money) to accumulate because there is no-one to underwrite the considerable risk.

Edited by cmdc, 15 April 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#426 EanieMeany

EanieMeany

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5633 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

Thing is though, over the last couple of decades the club must have lost a huge amount of prize money by tolerating a succession of s***e managers and allowing them to ruin one or more seasons. On a purely footballing front, the mismanagement has been astoundingly bad. 

AWMSC

#427 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18781 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:02 PM

Well, those are different arguments to my point which is purely that we are no longer in a position to speculate (i.e. to spend more in the hope of achieving a higher finish and more prize money) to accumulate because there is no-one to underwrite the considerable risk.

Erm no they're not - you claimed that the club has to 'budget cautiously' until new investment is found: the club has already had chances to proceed with caution this season; instead it gave a totally unwarranted extra year to a novice manager and sanctioned a new deal for a complete donkey until May 2020. 

So the club isn't 'budgeting cautiously'; it is in fact 'chucking it until the Easdales want involved' which is not actually a legitimate strategy at all.  

#428 cmdc

cmdc

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4958 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:03 PM

Thing is though, over the last couple of decades the club must have lost a huge amount of prize money by tolerating a succession of s***e managers and allowing them to ruin one or more seasons. On a purely footballing front, the mismanagement has been astoundingly bad.

Yep, wouldn’t disagree with that.

#429 cmdc

cmdc

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4958 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:04 PM

Erm no they're not - you claimed that the club has to 'budget cautiously' until new investment is found: the club has already had chances to proceed with caution this season; instead it gave a totally unwarranted extra year to a novice manager and sanctioned a new deal for a complete donkey until May 2020.

So the club isn't 'budgeting cautiously'; it is in fact 'chucking it until the Easdales want involved' which is not actually a legitimate strategy at all.

Again, that’s a different argument. I’m saying the club has to budget cautiously. Whether it is or isn’t doing so is a different point.

#430 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18781 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:11 PM

Again, that’s a different argument. I’m saying the club has to budget cautiously. Whether it is or isn’t doing so is a different point.

It's not a different point at all: this is a forum about Greenock Morton Football Club, not a theoretical case study in an accounting textbook. What the club actually does with its budget - tieing itself to complete donkeys for no reason until 2020 - is entirely relevant to what the bottom line figures are and whether that can be considered 'cautious budgeting' or not. 

But you just keeping rolling out that line to provide cover for the club's current decisions; it's fooling nobody though. 

#431 cmdc

cmdc

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4958 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

It's not a different point at all: this is a forum about Greenock Morton Football Club, not a theoretical case study in an accounting textbook. What the club actually does with its budget - tieing itself to complete donkeys for no reason until 2020 - is entirely relevant to what the bottom line figures are and whether that can be considered 'cautious budgeting' or not. 

But you just keeping rolling out that line to provide cover for the club's current decisions; it's fooling nobody though. 

Nope

#432 so72

so72

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:35 PM

The bit in bold, yes there are plenty of villains, charlatans and wrong'uns involved in Football over the years and despite regulations to prevent there being going forward, there probably will continue to be in the future, but considering our previous with a certain individual who fits the description of the above, should we not be a little bit more cautious?

Oh no, you are definitely right. There are far more horror stories than cinderella tales when it comes to such characters. It has Marrs brothers written all over it.

#433 HamCam

HamCam

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3662 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

Oh no, you are definitely right. There are far more horror stories than cinderella tales when it comes to such characters. It has Marrs brothers written all over it.

But in our current 'desperate' circumstances most fans cannot see any alternative to the Easdales.

#434 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5164 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

But in our current 'desperate' circumstances most fans cannot see any alternative to the Easdales.

And by all account, neither can the club (although meaningfully trying to seek out alternatives would be a start).

#435 capitanus

capitanus

The epitome of gentle respectability

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:26 PM

The previous two posts, the one word that stands out is "alternatives" however considering the reputation they have for their business dealings, there is unlikely to be an 'alternative'.

That's not to say that we are not an attractive business proposition or that a shrewd investor may not see potential in Morton, the prospect of being a rival bidder or consortium to the Charabanc Brothers may be too much hassle for an 'alternative' to come forward.
...I will make it through the day, And then the day becomes the night.
I will make it through the night.

#436 Lord Volvic

Lord Volvic

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

The previous two posts, the one word that stands out is "alternatives" however considering the reputation they have for their business dealings, there is unlikely to be an 'alternative'.

That's not to say that we are not an attractive business proposition or that a shrewd investor may not see potential in Morton, the prospect of being a rival bidder or consortium to the Charabanc Brothers may be too much hassle for an 'alternative' to come forward.

Are you banned from McGills buses?

#437 capitanus

capitanus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:53 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ton/4218680.stm

One thing that all Morton supporters should regret is not taking Gordon Ramsay's interest in the club seriously back then. There was a perfect opportunity to invite him up and get involved, similar to how we did with Alastair Donald just a short time afterwards and how Norwich done with Delia Smith around that time.

He is a very wealthy guy, has personal connection with Morton, understands Football, has A-list celebrity status and has made an absolute fortune showing others how to turn around their failing businesses. He ticks many boxes. Even if DDFR wasn't looking to sell up at that point, he should have treated his interest a bit more seriously rather than dismissing it by giving it the Finbar Saunders "Fnarr, Fnarr. Trifle etc" routine.

We would have been a better state today if only he did.

#438 capitanus

capitanus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:54 PM

Are you banned from McGills buses?

Aren't you banned from this messageboard Gordon?

Keep hitting the refresh button, there's a good lad. ;)

#439 Lord Volvic

Lord Volvic

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

Aren't you banned from this messageboard Gordon?

Keep hitting the refresh button, there's a good lad. ;)

This is my first ever time on a message board Captain.

Why should I keep refreshing?

#440 capitanus

capitanus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

This is my first ever time on a message board Captain.
Why should I keep refreshing?

^^^ Fooling no-one Champ.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users