The 'hampden Vs. Murrayfield' Debate - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The 'hampden Vs. Murrayfield' Debate

A suitable number of park-and-ride facilities, an increased number of trains for a longer time before/after the game, a suitable contraflow system that manages the traffic around the stadium and a complete re-think of where buses park around the stadium is all needed if we are to successfully manage Scotland games. As mentioned above, the Commonwealth games have shown that this can be done. I've been to football matches in other cities and the transport infrastructure surrounding transporting people to/from the game is night and day from Scotland. 

While it's entirely accurate to say these faults are more systemic than the SFA's remit, but the SFA are in a fantastic position to get the parties involved round the table and try to force a resolution through. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing which Hampden could have and something which that area of Glasgow could seriously do with is a good 250-300 room conference hotel. The closest hotels to Hampden are in the City Centre but there will be loads of people who would travel from elsewhere in Scotland/UK for football breaks at Cup Finals/Internationals plus with concert breaks, it would do a great trade; plus the Southside of Glasgow is one of the most densely populated areas of Scotland so from the local populus and business community there will be enough business to support this outwith these times.

*insert signature here*

• 1 month later...

Watching the Hearts-Celtic semi-Final at the moment and one thing which was noticable was the amount of space between all four stands to the pitch, which is/was one of the things that Hampden's critics always used against it in favour of the egg-chasers ground.

Although the debate is now academic as Hampden has been purchased outright by the SFA, but I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow there's a whole load of criticism of Murrayfield from Celtic supporters about restricted views etc. In phone-ins and forums.

*insert signature here*

Watching the Hearts-Celtic semi-Final at the moment and one thing which was noticable was the amount of space between all four stands to the pitch, which is/was one of the things that Hampden's critics always used against it in favour of the egg-chasers ground.

Although the debate is now academic as Hampden has been purchased outright by the SFA, but I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow there's a whole load of criticism of Murrayfield from Celtic supporters about restricted views etc. In phone-ins and forums.

Aye, Murrayfield isn't very good. You'd have thought it was the Bernabeu to listen to some people.

AWMSC

I quite enjoyed having both semi finals on the same day, for me it added to the occasion and I'd like to see it done this way every year. I always enjoy watching Aberdeen beat Rangers* too, especially in Glasgow. 

I quite enjoyed having both semi finals on the same day, for me it added to the occasion and I'd like to see it done this way every year. I always enjoy watching Aberdeen beat Rangers* too, especially in Glasgow. 

Once the authorities can get it down to a science, like in Holland and other places like that, it should be this way going forward. Maybe it's because of that unexpected late winner from Aberdeen but it seemed like a superb day's football to me - a proper sense of occasion.

And today should be a reminder to everyone that, although Scottish football may be pretty poor by continental standards, we can still generate massive crowds, great atmospheres, and incredible SCENES pretty much on tap. Croatia may go to the World Cup but their domestic games are in front of two men and a pseto. We, on the other hand, are a perpetual banter machine.

Someone on P&B pointed out that we got 110,000 through the turnstiles today for not a league decider, not a national cup semi-final, but a second cup semi-final. That's something to be proud of. And something for the SFA and SPFL to build off - if they can.

EOho8Pw.png

If you have ever been to Murrayfield you would know it does not have restricted view seats.

Well it clearly does. The distance between the goals an the two stands behind them is massive. Probably as big as Hampden

Well it clearly does. The distance between the goals an the two stands behind them is massive. Probably as big as Hampden

They're not restricted view in the sense that you can, theoretically, see the entire pitch from the seat. Of course if the guy in front of you is slightly tall then you won't see anything because it's a ridiculously shallow bowl, like Hampden.

EOho8Pw.png

They're not restricted view in the sense that you can, theoretically, see the entire pitch from the seat. Of course if the guy in front of you is slightly tall then you won't see anything because it's a ridiculously shallow bowl, like Hampden.

It is not theoretic though it is fact! Like Hampden, Murrayfield is far from perfect but from first-hand experience, I would say the views from all parts of the stadium are acceptable - I speak as an under-tall person who through work has been able to wander the place!

The feedback from the Hearts fans was by and large positive - aside from the football and sharing the place with Celtic fans. My own opinion is Murrayfield as a sporting venue and location is far superior to Hampden - it is however the home of rugby in Scotland and was rightly passed over in favour of Hampden for international football.

Moving to Murrayfield was an absolute non-starter. The last thing the authorities in this country should be transferring such a large sum of money into the egg chaser's pockets. Edinburgh is also a dump full of Tories, tourists, students and the English.

edit: But I do agree with the above saying that having the 2 games on the same day added a lot to the occasion. Having one semi there each year wouldn't be so bad.

I'd definitely like to see this year become a blueprint for the League Cup. Two semi finals on the same Sunday, one at Hampden and one at Murrayfield. It adds a sense of occasion that generally doesn't exist with the League Cup. 

I'd definitely like to see this year become a blueprint for the League Cup. Two semi finals on the same Sunday, one at Hampden and one at Murrayfield. It adds a sense of occasion that generally doesn't exist with the League Cup.

Not necessarily Hampden and Murrayfield but yes, the two games in the same day is definitely the way forward. If you've got something like Dundee or St Johnstone against Motherwell or Kilmarnock then Easter Road or Tynecastle will do the job though.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Not necessarily Hampden and Murrayfield but yes, the two games in the same day is definitely the way forward. If you've got something like Dundee or St Johnstone against Motherwell or Kilmarnock then Easter Road or Tynecastle will do the job though.

Agreed but I would also prefer if they were on a Saturday.

I'd go along with that. I think a 80% full Tynecastle or Easter Road would be a far better advert for Scottish football than a 25% full Hampden or Murrayfield. 

Agreed but I would also prefer if they were on a Saturday.

I actually prefer the Sunday. Have as many league fixtures as possible played on the Saturday, then on Sunday the only Scottish games played are the two semis. It's all about adding a sense of occasion and I think having league fixtures played simultaneously as the semis will diminish that.  

• 2 months later...

Back to this again.

Watching the Wolves v. Liverpool FA Cup tie this evening, and noticed that two of the stands at either side of the pitch are quite a big distance from the pitch:

molineux-wolverhampton-wanderers-fc-1418

That looks an even bigger distance from the action than the North Stand at Hampden.

*insert signature here*

Archived