January Transfer Window Thread - Page 61 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

Jim McInally had us playing 3-5-2 for a lengthy spell when we were competing with Gretna for the Div 1 title. Finlayson was RWB and McAlister LWB. Both were criticised as wingers but were excellent wing backs with great pace, great engines and were good defensively. They played directly against Gretna’s Baldacchino and Skelton, who they completely outplayed in one game at Raydale, which we won 2-1 I think with a Chris Millar double.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and promptly lost 0-4 at home to Ayr United, finished a country mile behind Gretna in said ‘title race’ and bottled the playoffs as usual.

If we’re resorting to a cherrypicked view of a crap,Jim McInally-led seaside league squad from fully 13 years ago to set up our team at this level then we’re as well locking the gates for good right now.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Tele’s Morton reporter on Twitter “Morton manager Jonatan Johansson says there's likely to be no more players coming in or out of the club today.

Might be a reserve team goalkeeper signing confirmed later but that's it.”

Can’t say I’m too surprised.

This was a response to questions on whether Jim McAlister has ever played wing back for Morton, I did say earlier that I’m unsure if he still has the engine and pace to play the role.

Your claim about having 'great engines' and doing 'good defensive work' didn't extend beyond a single game to the actual record of the team at the time though. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

If we’re to go with wing backs, McAlister and Iredale would be our best options IMO. Jimbo was excellent at wing back for us, though mostly on left with Finlayson at RWB. Only slight doubt would be if he still has the engine and the pace for it.

McAlister has been a yard short for most of the season playing cm, so I seriously doubt he'd manage to charge up and down the wing for 90mins.

Doubt JJ will drop him regardless, so the best I can hope for would be McAlister in for Dykes in the team I suggested.

McAlister has been a yard short for most of the season playing cm, so I seriously doubt he'd manage to charge up and down the wing for 90mins.

Doubt JJ will drop him regardless, so the best I can hope for would be McAlister in for Dykes in the team I suggested.

Yep, why exactly his poor performances merit a move elsewhere rather than dropped to the bench, I don't really know. It's like an inverse version of the "he's a good full-back, let's play him at centre-mid" carry on we usually get landed with.

AWMSC

Yep, why exactly his poor performances merit a move elsewhere rather than dropped to the bench, I don't really know. It's like an inverse version of the "he's a good full-back, let's play him at centre-mid" carry on we usually get landed with.

Oh f**k aye. I still remember Kenny Sheils trying to make a holding midfielder out of Scott Taggart. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Kilday has been quite comfortably our best defender for weeks now while Morton fans have been too busy idolising a flattering to deceive benchwarmer like Waddell instead. Says it all really.

He probably has been yeah. Hes been the least worst of three poorly performing centre halfs. Kilday, however, has been dreadful for about 5 years therefore he gets less leeway from me than Wadell who is a young player who has shown some small signs of being half decent. Idolising is a strange way of describing my feelings towards him.

I want a pretentious signature too.

McAlister at RWB is not the way to go. Maybe as a full back that's not expected to run the line all game, with someone more mobile in front of him, but even then I'm not sure he's going to be well suited. He'd have a torrid time against quick forwards running in behind. Would likely necessitate an even deeper defensive line than we're currently using to compensate.

Yeah. Kilday was outstanding in the few months leading up to his injury worries.

Compared to last year our defence is mince. Doyle was heavily criticised however he's far better than this years incumbent

Kilday looks consistently unfit or just perhaps not very good

We’ve used up all our domestic loans now, so you’d imagine so unless we have any more English targets lined up or there are players becoming free agents at the last minute.

What's the ruling on loans, that Grangemouth shower have 7 loans in their squad now...

Compared to last year our defence is mince. Doyle was heavily criticised however he's far better than this years incumbent

Doyle was, and remains, complete and utter guff.

Doyle was an excellent full back for us. People got too hung up on his ability to cross a ball. We should never have let him go with hindsight.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Doyle was an excellent full back for us. People got too hung up on his ability to cross a ball. We should never have let him go with hindsight.

He was adequate. He was not excellent. His crossing was the source of many opposition counter attacks. 

Archived