January Transfer Window Thread - Page 60 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

Would go with a 3-5-2 of:

McCrorie

Kilday   Buchanan  Waddell

O'Connell                                  Iredale

Millar      Dykes

Tidser

Dallas (#9)  Kiltie (#10)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant believe people still want to play 3 centre backs, when we dont even have one decent one.

All of them are decent but prone to mistakes. The same as O'Ware was and could be doing with a Gunning type figure in there to take charge.

Cant believe people still want to play 3 centre backs, when we dont even have one decent one.

I just don't rate any of our full back options as full-backs.

Personally, I think Tumilty is not good enough. He looks vulnerable in defence and his final ball is poor.

Iredale looks much better at wing back than full back, with protection behind him and he's most effective when taking people on and getting crosses into the box.

I think Mckeown looks slightly better at wing back than full back but he's below average at both IMO.

Kilday didn't look up to it when he played Rb earlier in the season.

We haven't seen Dykes or McAlister at Rb but having 2 poor Lb's negates that point IMO.

I didn't say that you had; but the idea that a couple of signings will change the mentality of a manager who tries to absorb pressure and hit East Fife on the break should be taken with a shovelload of salt right now. What he says and what he then sets out on the park have been two different things since the start of his tenure.

Sure. My previous post was quite ham fisted. I had thought the use of 3 CBs and wing backs was to account for the fact we didn’t have people naturally adept at playing as wide midfielders or wingers (5-3-2 in defence, 3-5-2 in attack) but that in practice we’ve tended to have 8 men behind the ball far too often. My hope is, with two more forward thinking players on the wings in front of the full backs, we’ll have more attacking impetus, width and quicker transition from back to front. Ideally being on the front foot as often as we can, counter attacking whenever we’ve had to defend. Obviously it remains to be seen how it will work out. I’ll share your disappointment if we are still setting up to play deep all the time.

I'd have liked us to have strengthened in defence as well, but essentially we've replaced the players that have moved on (and we haven't moved on any defenders): 

Dykes for Thomson

Kiltie for MacLean

O'Connell for Tiffoney

McCrorie for Scully

Dallas for Bell

I'd have liked us to have strengthened in defence as well, but essentially we've replaced the players that have moved on (and we haven't moved on any defenders):

Dykes for Thomson

Kiltie for MacLean

O'Connell for Tiffoney

McCrorie for Scully

Dallas for Bell

You’ve got to think every one of them is an upgrade.

We’ll find out soon enough.

I still hold out some small hope for Waddell, despite his recent blunders, but Kilday and Buchanan are a long way from decent.

Kilday has been quite comfortably our best defender for weeks now while Morton fans have been too busy idolising a flattering to deceive benchwarmer like Waddell instead. Says it all really.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

‘almost from day one’ = actually from about day 60, on the basis of a series of entirely unacceptable shoeings and dire football served up by said manager in the middle of a league campaign.

But those facts really don’t suit your wagon-circling agenda here, so were substituted with the Instant Persecution of St Jonathan myth instead.

Appointed 6th September.

Posters on here, for a number of reasons calling for him to be sacked before the end of September.

Simple facts and easily verified.

Appointed 6th September.

Posters on here, for a number of reasons calling for him to be sacked before the end of September.

Simple facts and easily verified.

And yet here, with an ever-increasing number of people of the same opinion. People thought Johansson was a dud from very early on because it was blatantly obvious from the off.

AWMSC

And yet here, with an ever-increasing number of people of the same opinion. People thought Johansson was a dud from very early on because it was blatantly obvious from the off.

Was going to really blatantly obvious from the off though?

Until the end of October, setting aside the alarming capitulations to Ayr and Ross County, he has 3 draws including away at Dundee United and Inverness and an away win against QotS with Reece Lyon in the team

There was evidence that he had something to build on.

His ultra defensive strategy lends itself to away games and teams who are coming at us. He has shown himself to be unable to work out how to break teams down such as Alloa and Dunfermline...and East Fife and Peterhead.....

I am willing to see how these loan signings bed in. Kiltie is undoubtedly an upgrade on what we have.

I think Dykes is someone he wants in the team which creates the problem of where Tidser plays. He has the problem of McAllister being team captain, one he didn't create. He can't exactly strip him of the armband but he could move his position.

What we do have now is competition. McHugh was in due to being the best of a bad lot. Oliver must be down the order a bit now. If all the new signings play that also means 2 from Tidser Telfer and Dykes don't start.

One thing is certain. He can't say it's not his team now.

Was going to really blatantly obvious from the off though?

Until the end of October, setting aside the alarming capitulations to Ayr and Ross County, he has 3 draws including away at Dundee United and Inverness and an away win against QotS with Reece Lyon in the team

There was evidence that he had something to build on.

Maybe not quite from the off as such, but the warning signings were there in the Dunfermline game at Cappielow. That was truly awful and a significant drop off from even the first half at Firhill a few weeks previously, and it never really got a great deal better.

AWMSC

Aye fair enough. That Dunfermline game was not good viewing and we were gifted a point. The following week was Ayr at home.

I wasn't at Palmerston but that, on paper is his stand out result, following on from a 5-0 bleaching at County.

He has had his chance to bring fresh players in now though.

I just don't rate any of our full back options as full-backs.

Personally, I think Tumilty is not good enough. He looks vulnerable in defence and his final ball is poor.

Iredale looks much better at wing back than full back, with protection behind him and he's most effective when taking people on and getting crosses into the box.

I think Mckeown looks slightly better at wing back than full back but he's below average at both IMO.

Kilday didn't look up to it when he played Rb earlier in the season.

We haven't seen Dykes or McAlister at Rb but having 2 poor Lb's negates that point IMO.

If we’re to go with wing backs, McAlister and Iredale would be our best options IMO. Jimbo was excellent at wing back for us, though mostly on left with Finlayson at RWB. Only slight doubt would be if he still has the engine and the pace for it.

How often did he play wing back for us? Maybe it's my age and memory, but I only remember him playing as a left winger.

I still would give him a go at right back.

Archived