January Transfer Window Thread - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet we were reduced to playing MacLean there last week?

We weren't 'reduced' to playing MacLean there - that was the choice the management team made. We've got plenty central midfielders on the books - including the Thomson ringer who doesn't get a game; including Lyons who scored on his first team debut. In terms of first-team players - i.e. those who take up a serious part of our budget - we are already overloaded with Millar, McAlister, Tidser and Telfer. None of those players will have come cheaply. 

And it hasn't gone without notice that you're yet to explain what exactly Low would have offered last week.

And 4 cbs include our left back and Lee Kilday. In reality we have 6 defenders for 5 positions. 

Having four centre-backs for a back three system and six defenders including the wing-back positions is a far thinner selection than what we've got in central midfield. All it takes are two routine injuries or suspensions combining and it's a back of a fag packet job to field a credible back line. And our options at the back also aren't as good as the ones that we've got in central midfield because we've already spent much of our money on the latter area of the park. 

Adding yet another central midfielder to a team whose biggest problems by far are a defensive unit that leaks like a sieve and forwards who are either injured or dung most of the time is the working definition of insanity. It's no surprise to see that line of argument holding sway on this forum then. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Aye, we really could do with another midfielder. McAlister isn't doing close to enough regularly enough and Millar's been injured a lot. If Tidser or Telfer got an injury at the same time as Millar we'd have nothing there.

If Waddell gets injured then our central defence looks very ropey indeed. If Waddell and, say, Tumilty - who isn't even tearing up any trees - are out then you're looking at a complete rethink of the defensive unit yet again. With Johnstone's injuries the forward options have hardly been there at all since the start of the season.  

We don't have magnificent squad depth in midfield, but compared to our problem areas of the park an injury to Tidser and 'only' having McAlister, Telfer and Reece Lyons or some ringer to play in central midfield is really not a serious issue. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We weren't 'reduced' to playing MacLean there - that was the choice the management team made. We've got plenty central midfielders on the books - including the Thomson ringer who doesn't get a game; including Lyons who scored on his first team debut. In terms of first-team players - i.e. those who take up a serious part of our budget - we are already overloaded with Millar, McAlister, Tidser and Telfer. None of those players will have come cheaply.

And it hasn't gone without notice that you're yet to explain what exactly Low would have offered last week.

Having four centre-backs for a back three system and six defenders including the wing-back positions is a far thinner selection than what we've got in central midfield. All it takes are two routine injuries or suspensions combining and it's a back of a fag packet job to field a credible back line. And our options at the back also aren't as good as the ones that we've got in central midfield because we've already spent much of our money on the latter area of the park.

Adding yet another central midfielder to a team whose biggest problems by far are a defensive unit that leaks like a sieve and forwards who are either injured or dung most of the time is the working definition of insanity. It's no surprise to see that line of argument holding sway on this forum then.

Sorry I misread your comment, I thought you were saying replacing McHugh is more important than adding another defender. My mistake.

By wanting another option in midfield, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't also strengthen at the back. Both need to be done, in my opinion. A centre back and another option at right back are a necessity if we are to continue with the 3/5 at the back.

Where's the money coming from to sign another first team option at centre back, right wing back and a central midfielder? Squadbuilding is a matter of priorities - and central midfield quite clearly falls beneath both of those. Not to mention a centre forward who isn't gubbins: which should also be no. 2 on the list behind a centre back. A team with McHugh and Oliver as its best forward options will reach the top 4 under any circumstances. 

If we can find a way to pack Thomson back to Dumbarton, bin McLean and Tiffoney as we don't need wingers and make a few other minor changes then we might just have enough for JJ to add two good additions. We are not going to be able to add four unless Falkirk are told to sell everything they own, hand it over to us and then do the decent thing and fold. So it's a no to putting yet another central midfielder on the books then 

Do we know what Denny Johnstone's injury actually is?  Seems to be taking forever to recover.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

If Anderson and Sutton didn’t throw him in so quickly he would probably be playing. He only played 60 mins in a reserve match and they started him at Firhill.

He got 20 minutes the week before against ross cty too.

If Anderson and Sutton didn’t throw him in so quickly he would probably be playing. He only played 60 mins in a reserve match and they started him at Firhill.

He came on as a sub against Ross County and set up the winner. I’m sure he also started the game after Thistle.

• 2 weeks later...

Now we're a little over a month from the window opening. With Partick and Grangemouth due to throw money at it in January, I'd rather not risk us having a quiet window and ending up stagnating in the second half of the season. I know pro-active and Morton aren't synonymous to one another, but here goes... 

Out; 

Tiffoney - Not good enough, an absolutely abysmal attitude and has already directly cost us goals and points. That's before we even begin to cover the frankly ludicrous loan arrangement in regards to training schedules. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Scott.

Bell - Another signing who has dropped off the face of the earth. What was that accusation about McKinnon signing injured players without medicals?  :ph34r:  

Look to upgrade/replace; 

Kilday - Our lack of depth defensively is the only reason he doesn't feature in the section above. Absolutely nothing against the guy, but post-injury he just isn't good enough. Improvement needed. 

Tumilty - I tried to show a bit of patience and perseverance here, but he's been pish. If we are going to continue playing 3-5-2/5-3-2 then we simply need a better option in a crucial position than Tumilty. If we're going to revert to a back four then I'd possibly give him the rest of the season to really prove his worth. 

R Thomson - Again, the injury to Oliver may force our hand slightly on this one. In an ideal world he could possibly be worth persisting with, but we simply don't have the resources to treat his contribution as an added bonus any longer. I can't see the board agreeing with this one, given the amount of time and money they've put into his rehabilitation. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Now we're a little over a month from the window opening. With Partick and Grangemouth due to throw money at it in January, I'd rather not risk us having a quiet window and ending up stagnating in the second half of the season. I know pro-active and Morton aren't synonymous to one another, but here goes... 

Out; 

Tiffoney - Not good enough, an absolutely abysmal attitude and has already directly cost us goals and points. That's before we even begin to cover the frankly ludicrous loan arrangement in regards to training schedules. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Scott.

Bell - Another signing who has dropped off the face of the earth. What was that accusation about McKinnon signing injured players without medicals?  :ph34r:  

Look to upgrade/replace; 

Kilday - Our lack of depth defensively is the only reason he doesn't feature in the section above. Absolutely nothing against the guy, but post-injury he just isn't good enough. Improvement needed. 

Tumilty - I tried to show a bit of patience and perseverance here, but he's been pish. If we are going to continue playing 3-5-2/5-3-2 then we simply need a better option in a crucial position than Tumilty. If we're going to revert to a back four then I'd possibly give him the rest of the season to really prove his worth. 

R Thomson - Again, the injury to Oliver may force our hand slightly on this one. In an ideal world he could possibly be worth persisting with, but we simply don't have the resources to treat his contribution as an added bonus any longer. I can't see the board agreeing with this one, given the amount of time and money they've put into his rehabilitation. 

Agree with all of that. Would also not be surprised to see McKeown go and I think we could do with a better left back in that area anyway if we are going to persist with 3-5-2. 

K Thomson will definitely be away if he hasn't gone already. What a bizarre signing. 

Agree with all of that. Would also not be surprised to see McKeown go and I think we could do with a better left back in that area anyway if we are going to persist with 3-5-2. 

K Thomson will definitely be away if he hasn't gone already. What a bizarre signing. 

In fairness we all said the same about Iredale this time last year, albeit he at least had a loan spell. 

Tumilty was a disaster at right back in a back four and had to be dropped for Kilday at right back (which says it all, really). It would be a gamble on him making a massive improvement to give him the rest of the season in that role. 

Out; 

Look to upgrade/replace; 

Did Bell not play a few games when he first came in before his disappearance? It's a strange one though, seemed to take a while before anyone even mentioned he was injured. I dunno if he's any good, but he looks to be the type of player we could be useful for us if he reappears.

This never occurred to me before, but in the Tele today it says that Tiffoney and MacLean are both ineligible to play in the cup as they're on loan. Given that they are the only two wingers in the squad, didn't it occur to anybody that that could become an issue? MacLean I don't really bregudge, but if we must have Tiffoney forced upon us to help Livingston out then he should be available for all games or none at all. His return remains a strange bit of business, it's not really clear what Morton were supposed to gain from it.

On Tumility, I'm not really convinced he's as bad as has been made out. If somebody better became available and we could move him on then so be it, but if he stays then I wouldn't be upset about it. I'd be intrigued to see what he'd be like playing in midfield or something, he seems to have a reasonable amount of ability - no idea if it would work and wouldn't really want to risk it in a proper game, but would be interested to see it in a reserve match or the like. Wouldn't be the first time a switch like that has paid off for a player.

If we could acquire a good defensive midfielder, it'd help us out no end all over the pitch, I reckon. Admittedly they're not exactly easy to come by, but the type of player who'll drop in at centre-half if the defender goes out to cover the wing-back, for example, and who can read the game and make the right passes...all of which, our current captain does not do well. 

That said though, we can sign who we like but until such times as Johansson displays any signs of being able to adequately prepare his players to play in some kind of coherent, discernible system and style then we're going to be looking over our shoulders for the rest of the season rather than making any kind of credible challenge for the play-offs. 

AWMSC

Cup tie eligibility would hardly be a priority for a regime that actively tried to get turfed out of one cup and treated the other as a glorified pre-season tournament anyway. 

Did Bell not play a few games when he first came in before his disappearance? It's a strange one though, seemed to take a while before anyone even mentioned he was injured. I dunno if he's any good, but he looks to be the type of player we could be useful for us if he reappears.

This never occurred to me before, but in the Tele today it says that Tiffoney and MacLean are both ineligible to play in the cup as they're on loan. Given that they are the only two wingers in the squad, didn't it occur to anybody that that could become an issue? MacLean I don't really bregudge, but if we must have Tiffoney forced upon us to help Livingston out then he should be available for all games or none at all. His return remains a strange bit of business, it's not really clear what Morton were supposed to gain from it.

On Tumility, I'm not really convinced he's as bad as has been made out. If somebody better became available and we could move him on then so be it, but if he stays then I wouldn't be upset about it. I'd be intrigued to see what he'd be like playing in midfield or something, he seems to have a reasonable amount of ability - no idea if it would work and wouldn't really want to risk it in a proper game, but would be interested to see it in a reserve match or the like. Wouldn't be the first time a switch like that has paid off for a player.

If we could acquire a good defensive midfielder, it'd help us out no end all over the pitch, I reckon. Admittedly they're not exactly easy to come by, but the type of player who'll drop in at centre-half if the defender goes out to cover the wing-back, for example, and who can read the game and make the right passes...all of which, our current captain does not do well.

That said though, we can sign who we like but until such times as Johansson displays any signs of being able to adequately prepare his players to play in some kind of coherent, discernible system and style then we're going to be looking over our shoulders for the rest of the season rather than making any kind of credible challenge for the play-offs.

Tumilty's contributions to Alloa's two goals are good examples of why Tumilty gets so much criticism. He seldom escapes a match without giving away an opportunity or three.

I think if you look over the goals and chances we've conceded this season it's clear that the defence makes mistakes individually and as a unit which can't really be shifted too much onto other members of the team. A player like Jamie Lindsay would help, but only in the sense that the defence needs to be bailed out more than it should. Saturday's goal is a good example of that. Iredale gives the ball away, McKeown gets done, and perhaps McAlister could bail them out - but it's difficult to find a defensive midfield player who is good enough to do that level of recovery on any consistent basis.

Buchanan's another one who commits too many errors. He's a ball watcher. Some good attributes to his game but poor levels of concentration. He's never been a consistent part of a good defence and you can see why.

Archived