If The Rangers Go In To The First Division - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

If The Rangers Go In To The First Division

Of course, because the fans didn't boycott Hugh Scott's Morton at any point did they?

I'd see that as a different thing - there the boycott had a clear end game: to force Scott out of the club. If Rangers were to be placed in Div1 it is hard to see what the end game is, because it isn't going to achieve anything (in the sense that Rangers won't be taken back out of Div1 when (if) the decision is made). Does it last a season? Does it last until Rangers are promoted back to the SPL? Does it last forever (because the integrity of the game has been tainted)? It seems that opinion is mixed between these (and probably more) options (including a decision not to boycott).

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd see that as a different thing - there the boycott had a clear end game: to force Scott out of the club. If Rangers were to be placed in Div1 it is hard to see what the end game is, because it isn't going to achieve anything (in the sense that Rangers won't be taken back out of Div1 when (if) the decision is made). Does it last a season? Does it last until Rangers are promoted back to the SPL? Does it last forever (because the integrity of the game has been tainted)? It seems that opinion is mixed between these (and probably more) options (including a decision not to boycott).

My boycott would be forever. It may only " Last a year ", but the damage would be done. I'd know in my heart that if the same situation arose another 1000 times in my lifetime with the Old Firm, that the same decision would be made over and over again.

There would be no point in wasting my money on a so called professional football team.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Can everyone just get a grip , This is a lot of rubbish

So to protest at Rangers coming to the first division you would give up going to watch your club ? and some even giving up a lifetime of supporting the team

Ive supported Morton for as long as I can remember and I dont think there is anything other than Morton ceasing to exist that could stop me supporting my team and even then Id still class myself as a Morton fan .

Disappointing to hear people speak like this :(

This is where the trust can do some good before the s*** hits the fan. Judging by opinion on here and across various websites several fans may desert the club should Morton vote in favour of The Rangers entering the 1st Div. Mr Rae MUST be made aware of the feeling amongst fans so he can speak on behalf of the support next time he lets his belly rumble. <_>

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I feel uncomfortable about the whole thing, but I can understand where DDF is coming from (just as I can see the dilemma facing the SPL club chairmen). The actual quote seems to be "if it comes to it, I won't be entirely unhappy", rather than "I am all for it" - and that's understandable: the revenue that might come through sponsorship and extra gate money could make a big difference over the course of the season, and so it seems obvious to me that he wouldn't be unhappy about it (which is as strong a statement as he's made, he hasn't gone any further than that).

I don't think it would be a boycott as such - it would be more of a despondency with the whole of Scottish football that would stop most people going.

Why was there not the same re-structuring when Gretna went belly up, no sympathy, no debate. I don't like them but I wonder how Livi supporters will be relishing the new rubber rules.

This isn't just Morton, we are being used by the SPL throwing us a few scraps from the table so the status quo is maintained.

This isn't a punishment this is them being given 2 years automatic promotions for going down with £124 million in debt , double contracts , evading tax , corporate fraud and our Chairman thinks thats ok !!

Would he think the same if a rival confectionary form did the same and started up again .

This is a sport where integrity is supposed to mean something , cheats are not supposed to benefit from their wrong doing.

Can everyone just get a grip , This is a lot of rubbish

So to protest at Rangers coming to the first division you would give up going to watch your club ? and some even giving up a lifetime of supporting the team

Ive supported Morton for as long as I can remember and I dont think there is anything other than Morton ceasing to exist that could stop me supporting my team and even then Id still class myself as a Morton fan .

Disappointing to hear people speak like this :(

yes it is disappointing, but just goes to show the depth of feeling over this whole situation

until football chairmen sit up and listen to what their paying customers are saying football will never progress.

we can't all just act like ostriches and bury our heads in the sand

Is there any club from the three divisions who would be susceptible to a buy out and allow newco Ranger to buy them out allowing them to jump the leagues like Airdrie did to Clydebank?

Cowdenbeath ?

I'd love to have you both for dinner

This is where the trust can do some good before the s*** hits the fan. Judging by opinion on here and across various websites several fans may desert the club should Morton vote in favour of The Rangers entering the 1st Div. Mr Rae MUST be made aware of the feeling amongst fans so he can speak on behalf of the support next time he lets his belly rumble. <_>

DO Morton actually have a vote on this matter? Wouldn't it be decided by the SFL board?

DO Morton actually have a vote on this matter? Wouldn't it be decided by the SFL board?

It doesn't matter if they have a vote or not. If enough clubs declare that they are against (as the SPL guys are doing), the committee or board will have to vote against.

It doesn't matter if they have a vote or not. If enough clubs declare that they are against (as the SPL guys are doing), the committee or board will have to vote against.

All member clubs in the SFL vote on new member entry just as Dougie Rae wrote in his programme notes at the time about how voting for Gretna instead of Airdrie was the right thing to do.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

I have said on a few threads that the SFL could use letting Rangers into D1 as a bargaining chip and it looks like Longmuir has done just that. OK everyone accepts that the proper thing was to have them apply to D3 but I can put up with them in D1 in exchange for major reform and it looks like we are getting a lot of what is needed:

1) Sky money shared with SFL. That drops into the general SFL pot presumably for the benefit of all clubs

2)SPL/SFA replaced by one league body with two members each on the new board and a new chief executive. As long as that's not Doncaster, I am happy.

3) Play offs introduced immediately which partially covers for the nothing to play for point and will be there going forward long after the Rangers saga has calmed down

4) they are also talking about the player embargo and maybe Rangers may have to accept that as an alternative to suspension. If that happens maybe promotion at the first attempt might not be a foregone conclusion!

Presumably the new league body will have decent voting procedures, with no equivalent of the 11-1 nonsense of the SPL. There also have to safeguards to ensure the top league can never revert to type and break away again. We are probably also moving towards a pyramid system..

The one thing that sticks in the craw is that the rule changes have been made to accommodate Rangers and not because they are just common sense and should have happened years ago.

Very sad, integrity and credibility obviously means nothing, standby for stupid o'clock kick off times then.

I won't be at Ibrox

I have just sent an email to DDFR stating my intention to chuck senior football if this travesty takes place.

Given his comments, I'd consider him cuplablein it all.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I'd still say it's not going to happen....this is the daily retard FFS !!!

The rangers aren't even a club yet, it's a man with a club name & a stadium,& from what i've been reading, very little (if any) cash.

His players are deserting right now, like rats from a sinking ship, d'you think they'd be doing that if they thought they'd only have 1 year out the SPL ?

I smell s***e from this story.

The future just ain't what it used to be

Archived