If The Rangers Go In To The First Division - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

If The Rangers Go In To The First Division

Would you boycott?

And before anyone says, I know I rarely go these days but;

If they were to be put in to the first and Dougie was for it (seemingly as he is) then I'd be done for quite a while! I've made a lot of noise about how Rangers should be treated and I'm not suddenly then going to be part of their 'revival'.

seor-gif-shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A boycott suggests that maybe I'd come back at some point, but I wouldn't be back ever.

Morton are more to me than just a football club to follow, they are who I went to see with my dad before he died, and they are who I went to see with my best friend before he died, when I think of Morton I think of them and when I think of them I think of Morton, so for me not to go back shows how strongly I feel about this.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

i respect everyones opinion but to be honest i feel that boycotting would only effect our team and not rangers, i think they should start in the third if anything but that wont happen. I dont like the way things have happened and do feel that no matter what scottish football has been tainted as a whole. I will wait and see what happens, the sooner this mess is cleaned up the better.

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

Can everyone just get a grip , This is a lot of rubbish

So to protest at Rangers coming to the first division you would give up going to watch your club ? and some even giving up a lifetime of supporting the team

Ive supported Morton for as long as I can remember and I dont think there is anything other than Morton ceasing to exist that could stop me supporting my team and even then Id still class myself as a Morton fan .

Disappointing to hear people speak like this :(

yes_to_a_just_scotland_cover.jpg?itok=zU

So to protest at Rangers coming to the first division you would give up going to watch your club ? and some even giving up a lifetime of supporting the team

Ive supported Morton for as long as I can remember and I dont think there is anything other than Morton ceasing to exist that could stop me supporting my team and even then Id still class myself as a Morton fan .

There is no way I could support a club that voted against over a century of sporting integrity, proud tradition and a history of decades of losing potential supporters to both the old firm, to vote in favour of breaking rules, making up rules as they go along and treating a club differently to how any other club would be treated all for ONE YEAR of slightly better accounts at the end of the year.

There is no viable way for a new club to jump straight into the Scottish 1st division, and if it happens it will be an even bigger swindle than if the SPL vote them into their league, and if my club plays a part in that then I'm done with them.

It makes me sick that after over a century of proud tradition, my club could be about to throw that away for one year of having an extra few grand in the bank. I could almost understand if it was a life changing amount, but in the grand scheme of things it will hardly be a drop in the ocean, and when rangers are back in the SPL next season we will continue to keep racking up the losses as usual.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Douglas Rae is merely the current incumbent of the club, he is not Morton, therefore his opinions will not dictate the opinion of Morton Football Club from this day until the end of time.

For this reason, I would not be boycotting the club forever based on his opinion on this matter.

As others have said, boycotting Morton games will only serve to put our own club in danger of going out of existence, and is completeley counter-productive.

Would those saying that they will boycott be happy to see our own club go out of business as a matter of their own misguided principles? If the answer to that question is yes then I seriously despair.

For the record, I don't believe for one moment that this new version of Rangers be playing anywhere other than in the 3rd division next season.

There is no way I could support a club that voted against over a century of sporting integrity, proud tradition and a history of decades of losing potential supporters to both the old firm, to vote in favour of breaking rules, making up rules as they go along and treating a club differently to how any other club would be treated all for ONE YEAR of slightly better accounts at the end of the year.

There is no viable way for a new club to jump straight into the Scottish 1st division, and if it happens it will be an even bigger swindle than if the SPL vote them into their league, and if my club plays a part in that then I'm done with them.

It makes me sick that after over a century of proud tradition, my club could be about to throw that away for one year of having an extra few grand in the bank. I could almost understand if it was a life changing amount, but in the grand scheme of things it will hardly be a drop in the ocean, and when rangers are back in the SPL next season we will continue to keep racking up the losses as usual.

That is unlikely. the extra gate money from 2 games against Rangers would be lost due to the lack of any chance of winning the league from day one, thus rendering many games meaningless, leading to small crowds for most of our games.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

What a load of pish !

Rae wont have a say either way as to whether Rangers get into SFL 1 2 or 3 but why boycott your club even if he did ? Hugh Scott did far worse things in the name of Morton and we're all still here.

The Govan Sevco's fate will not be in hands of SPL or SFL chairmen either but will be down to a lack of funding ( CG doesn't have money) a floating charge with mass player exodus not to mention the fraud investigations, SFA sanctions and endless litigation. They're dead - relax! ^_^

"More and more people, no matter their political persuasion, are now seeing this for what it is; not a YES vote for SNP led nationalism but simply a YES vote for self-determination and the best way forward for a nation, increasingly ignored and disadvantaged by a London biased Government "

http://nationalcollective.com/

I've supported Morton for a lot longer than you have. I'm disappointed that you can trivialise this matter. Sporting Integrity must come before dishonesty. If a shopkeeper overcharged or cheated you, would you continue to give them your business?

That is unlikely. the extra gate money from 2 games against Rangers would be lost due to the lack of any chance of winning the league from day one, thus rendering many games meaningless, leading to small crowds for most of our games.

I think the decision needs to be based not only on the direct economic effects over the course of 1 season but also the benefits that might be gained by negotiating changes in voting structures, promotion issues, league structures, distribution of revenues etc. Until it is clear exactly what is on offer, I think it might be a bit premature to rush to judgement. DDFR has an obligation to do what is right for Morton. In a long term view, that MIGHT be to vote in favour.

J.T.

I've supported Morton for a lot longer than you have. I'm disappointed that you can trivialise this matter. Sporting Integrity must come before dishonesty. If a shopkeeper overcharged or cheated you, would you continue to give them your business?

No but whats your point ? :huh:

"More and more people, no matter their political persuasion, are now seeing this for what it is; not a YES vote for SNP led nationalism but simply a YES vote for self-determination and the best way forward for a nation, increasingly ignored and disadvantaged by a London biased Government "

http://nationalcollective.com/

I'm definitely uncomfortable with the prospect of Rangers (in any guise) being fitted into the First Division to accomodate 'Scottish Football' I'm also uncomfortable with turning my back on Greenock Morton... regardless of our Chairman's take on the situation.

They should be having to apply for a place in the Third Division and let 'Scottish football' take it's chances with that process. To hell with this business based gerrymandering.

I think I'll have to go down as an undecided at this juncture.

Show Racism the Red Card

It's the only way clubs will pay attention to fans and it is a last resort I would guess for 99% of us. It's already a chore to go to games never mind giving up a season for a quick buck!

What a load of pish !

Rae wont have a say either way as to whether Rangers get into SFL 1 2 or 3 but why boycott your club even if he did ? Hugh Scott did far worse things in the name of Morton and we're all still here.

The Govan Sevco's fate will not be in hands of SPL or SFL chairmen either but will be down to a lack of funding ( CG doesn't have money) a floating charge with mass player exodus not to mention the fraud investigations, SFA sanctions and endless litigation. They're dead - relax! ^_^

The current teams will have a say which team gets into the league. There are already processes in place for this to happen. I hope that you are correct, and that they are indeed dead. If the follow on (no pun) club are invited to join the SFL, they should be subject to the same rules as everyone else. If the rules are ignored or bent to allow them in, then I want nothing more to do with it. What's pish about that?

Douglas Rae is merely the current incumbent of the club, he is not Morton, therefore his opinions will not dictate the opinion of Morton Football Club from this day until the end of time.

For this reason, I would not be boycotting the club forever based on his opinion on this matter.

As others have said, boycotting Morton games will only serve to put our own club in danger of going out of existence, and is completeley counter-productive.

Would those saying that they will boycott be happy to see our own club go out of business as a matter of their own misguided principles? If the answer to that question is yes then I seriously despair.

For the record, I don't believe for one moment that this new version of Rangers be playing anywhere other than in the 3rd division next season.

I don't see that as an excuse. It's no better than Rangers fans not being ashamed or feel guilty about what their club has done because " It's all David Murray and Craig Whyte's fault ". It's no better than Charles Green or Ally McCoist thinking Rangers don't deserve any real punishment because " It's all David Murray and Craig Whyte's fault ".

Clubs have to be held accountable for their actions, in the eyes of the law, press, and fans. It might be Douglas Rae that votes for it, but he is Morton right now, and in turn Morton would have voted in favour of it.

Not going back is an individual decision, and considering the crowds have went from 6000 in the 2nd division at times, to 1300 or so in the space of 5 or 6 years it seems that thousands of fans have made individual decisions not to go back to Cappielow for whatever reason, so i wouldn't feel any more guilty about the club going out of business than they would.

Morton have had my blinded loyalty for nearly 20 years, there's not much they could do to change that. Screwing themselves over by changing rules at the last minute, to vote a completely new club with no history right into the top of the SFL, for the sake of one year of slightly better accounts is the one of the only things they could do to make me stop going. I'd be too ashamed of my club to ever set foot in Cappielow again.

32.gif

Of course, because the fans didn't boycott Hugh Scott's Morton at any point did they?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The current teams will have a say which team gets into the league. There are already processes in place for this to happen. I hope that you are correct, and that they are indeed dead. If the follow on (no pun) club are invited to join the SFL, they should be subject to the same rules as everyone else. If the rules are ignored or bent to allow them in, then I want nothing more to do with it. What's pish about that?

I feel uncomfortable about the whole thing, but I can understand where DDF is coming from (just as I can see the dilemma facing the SPL club chairmen). The actual quote seems to be "if it comes to it, I won't be entirely unhappy", rather than "I am all for it" - and that's understandable: the revenue that might come through sponsorship and extra gate money could make a big difference over the course of the season, and so it seems obvious to me that he wouldn't be unhappy about it (which is as strong a statement as he's made, he hasn't gone any further than that).

I think the decision needs to be based not only on the direct economic effects over the course of 1 season but also the benefits that might be gained by negotiating changes in voting structures, promotion issues, league structures, distribution of revenues etc. Until it is clear exactly what is on offer, I think it might be a bit premature to rush to judgement. DDFR has an obligation to do what is right for Morton. In a long term view, that MIGHT be to vote in favour.

J.T.

Sensible post... although at this point, it all smells a bit like desperation and throwing the diddy clubs a few sweeties.

Show Racism the Red Card

Archived