Holland Vs Scotland - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Holland Vs Scotland

Was talking about this today, who would your midfield pairing be for the game (or 3 in the middle depending what system you would play)?

If we were playing with 2 central midfielders, I would be tempted to go with Brown and Hartley. Brown is a ball winner, will tackle anything, and generally wear his heart on his sleeve. He commands the game and always seems to do well for Scotland.

As for Hartley, I think he is quite underrated. His attacking ability especially since he now plays a more defensive role for Celtic than he did for Hearts. His work rate is outstanding and in Paris I think he played a blinder and was my nomination for MOTM after Craig Gordon. This for me proved he plays well on a big stage and I think we should give him that opportunity.

As for Ferguson, I think hes over the hill. He is still a decent player, but doesn't command the midfield and isn't the engine room of the side anymore. He has shown this with both Rangers and Scotland is recent times. To be fair he has been carrying a few injuries, but Sunday's performance summed it up for me. He isn't the player he once was and is now meriting his start by reputation now.

Darren Flecture I'm not sure about, he never really does it for Scotland. He does the McGuffie disappearing act sometimes, and I think he isn't really in his comfort zone playing for his country. With Man U he seems to be a cracking player, but for whatever reason he just isn't the same when playing for Scotland.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brown is a must. Definitely the best midfielder for Scotland, if not the best player we have in my opinion.

It will definitely be Ferguson, Brown, Fletcher and one other though. None of the three aforementioned will be dropped. I would love Hartley to play instead of Ferguson. As has been said, he doesnt command the way he used to be able to. Seems to be a confidence thing with him now. Few years ago he'd pass the ball forward and look to get in and around the box whenever possible to help out. Nowadays he looks out of ideas and likes the back pass a bit too much.

I know Hartley is similar but he's more of a fighter which is what we need in this one. We're never gonna outplay the dutch, our only hope is to nip at their heels n try n sneak it like in France. Also Hartley is the business, Ive never hid my liking for him. Not just because hes a good player, I just think hes bloody hilarious. This typical wee neddy bearded scotsman whos patriotic as f*** ^_^ cannae beat it

I'm smart and I want respect!

f*** the tactics, tickets have arrived. :D

Seriously though Ferguson is an enigma, he undoubtidly has the ability but flatters to decieve and gets right on yer tits at times. He is however one guy who can put his foot on the ball and dictate play, but if that means the crab direction or in reverse his inclusion will be useless.

Brown and Fletcher (if played in the correct manner) are a given, imo Hartley is a good shout as he rarely puts a foot wrong for us and his commitment is plain to see.

By the time I get to the Arena I won't know who is in midfield. :ph34r: :P

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Hartley
Fletcher Brown Robson Commons

Ferguson has about one good game a year, and I see no reason why it should happen against Holland given his performances so far this season. If he must play though, then I would move Robson out one and bring Ferguson in for Commons.

As for the rest of the team, we'll really need to see the squad first, the full-backs and the striker are the main problem areas.

AWMSC

I'm not a big fan of McCulloch usually, but he wins a lot of the diagonal balls so I'd be tempted to bring him back in on the left hand side. In the middle, Brown and Fletcher MUST play, whether it's them 2 or them and another I'm not sure. And while EanieMeany mentioned full backs, I'd like to see Whittaker in the right back position, or even right mid with Broadfoot behind him. Cracking player.

TTG JIM!!!

I'm not a big fan of McCulloch usually, but he wins a lot of the diagonal balls so I'd be tempted to bring him back in on the left hand side. In the middle, Brown and Fletcher MUST play, whether it's them 2 or them and another I'm not sure. And while EanieMeany mentioned full backs, I'd like to see Whittaker in the right back position, or even right mid with Broadfoot behind him. Cracking player.

McCulloch has 'retired' and was also the worst player on the park at the cup final on Sunday so I'd rather he was kept away from the team. And neither Broadfoot or Whittaker are cracking players, less so Broadfoot. Whittiker had potential and might still fulfil that but right now he's too inconsistant and makes too many mistakes to be an international. Playing both of them on one side of thepark is laughable and a recipe for disaster.

I'd keep Ferguson in the team as he keeps the ball and I think we'll need to keep it off Holland as much as we can or they'll overun us like last time.

From the squad (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7947922.stm) I'd go with:

Gordon

Hutton Caldwell McManus Naysmith

(if fit, Alexander if not for bit of experience)

Harley

Fletcher Brown Ferguson Commons

Miller

Miller is the only one I'd pick to start from the forwards so has to be a 5 man midfield for me.

As with the forwards there is only 5 players I would start so it doesnt leave many options. I'd rather not have Fletcher out wide but dont really see any other option and think Brown is more productive than him in the middle.

The defence mostly picks itself too as I wouldnt disrubt a central pairing in a game such as this. Naysmith is really the only left sided option and if fit Hutton is a given.

The only other options would maybe to leave Ferguson out with Caldwell coming into a midfield holding role and Weir coming in with McManus at the back for a bit more experience. The would leave two guys who will give their all while Caldwell is decent at sweeping up loose balls in that role as well as picking out a decent pass from time to time.

All in all I'm not too confident about this one :(

I forgot McCulloch had "retired". He was playing in the centre of midfield for the cup final - is it any wonder he wasn't at his best. I don't normally rate him, but if played out wide left he'd win his fair share of high diagonals and against Holland that could be beneficial. Commons or whoever plays there won't have the same effect.

Any time I've seen Whittaker play, he has been excellent to say the least. I didn't realise Hutton was back in the squad though, I thought he was still injured. Hutton with Whittaker in front wouldn't be too bad IMO.

TTG JIM!!!

Alexander in case we get a penalty, the guy has made a living out of scoring them!

Might be our best hope of scoring!!

I forgot McCulloch had "retired". He was playing in the centre of midfield for the cup final - is it any wonder he wasn't at his best. I don't normally rate him, but if played out wide left he'd win his fair share of high diagonals and against Holland that could be beneficial. Commons or whoever plays there won't have the same effect.

Any time I've seen Whittaker play, he has been excellent to say the least. I didn't realise Hutton was back in the squad though, I thought he was still injured. Hutton with Whittaker in front wouldn't be too bad IMO.

We cant reply on long cross field balls all game to a guy thats not been playing well at club level so I cant see how that would be benificial at all. If we were to play with the tactic of hitting long balls out wide to a guy who might win his fair share of them we'd be as well calling up Harding to hit the balls out to him!

Commons on the other hand has scored against top oposition, played well against Argentina and his form is attracting bids from the likes of Newcastle. We have plenty of guys who can dig and win balls in the air - we need a bit of width and pace in the team and Commons is the only player who offers either.

did james morrison get called up or is he injured :unsure:

The Netherlands v Scotland

Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam

Saturday, 28th March, 2009 - Kick-off 8.45 pm

Scotland v Iceland

The National Stadium, Hampden Park, Glasgow

Wednesday 1st April, 2009 - Kick-off 8pm

George Burley has named his 26-man squad to face The Netherlands and Iceland in the forthcoming World Cup qualification matches.

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

David Marshall (Norwich City)

Defenders

Graham Alexander (Burnley)

Darren Barr (Falkirk)

Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton W.)

Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers)

Gary Caldwell (Celtic)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur)

Jamie McAllister (Bristol City)

Stephen McManus (Celtic)

Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United)

David Weir (Rangers)

Midfield

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Kris Commons (Derby County)

Barry Ferguson (Rangers)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Paul Hartley (Celtic)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Gavin Rae (Cardiff City)

Gary Teale (Derby County)

Forwards

David Clarkson (Motherwell)

Steven Fletcher (Hibernian)

Chris Iwelumo (Wolverhampton W.)

Ross McCormack (Cardiff City)

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

Just copying and pasting the squad from the e-mail I received from the SFA today. Yes he is.

Morrisson is bloody awful. Him, Gary Teale and Gavin Rae in the midfield, oh dear... :unsure:

I would rather have Gary Caldwell as the holding midfielder, but I'm not convinced Weir is quite up to playing against some of the best players in the world anymore.

AWMSC

Morrisson is bloody awful. Him, Gary Teale and Gavin Rae in the midfield, oh dear... :unsure:

I would rather have Gary Caldwell as the holding midfielder, but I'm not convinced Weir is quite up to playing against some of the best players in the world anymore.

I'd imagine Hartley will play the role of holding midfielder infront of Hutton, Naysmith, McManus and Weir, although I'd prefer to see Caldwell in than Weir. Most probably a midfield of Fletcher, Brown, Ferguson and Commons with Miller on his own up front. If fit I could've seen McFadden out on the left but Commons has done a decent job when selected so far.

Hartley

Fletcher Brown Robson Commons

Ferguson has about one good game a year, and I see no reason why it should happen against Holland given his performances so far this season. If he must play though, then I would move Robson out one and bring Ferguson in for Commons.

As for the rest of the team, we'll really need to see the squad first, the full-backs and the striker are the main problem areas.

That'd be my midfield if everyone was available, but Robson's injured. :P

I'd imagine Hartley will play the role of holding midfielder infront of Hutton, Naysmith, McManus and Weir, although I'd prefer to see Caldwell in than Weir. Most probably a midfield of Fletcher, Brown, Ferguson and Commons with Miller on his own up front. If fit I could've seen McFadden out on the left but Commons has done a decent job when selected so far.

That's a recipe for disaster.

McManus has, on what I've seen of Celtic, had his worst season yet and is inconsistent. Being alongside Weir would only make it worse. He needs Caldwell beside him. Weir's past it and is now a complete bombscare. We'd be as well picking Andy Millen.

Caldwell's been easily the best Scottish centre back this season for me, and he's been carrying McManus through games at times. He simply has to play.

Agreed with that midfield, it basically picks itself.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived