Jonatan Johansson Is The New Manager - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jonatan Johansson Is The New Manager

TRVMP

I don't really think simply making the play-offs is necessarily a good benchmark, to be honest. If over 36 games you finish 4th, it's not particularly anything to write home about if you fancy yourself as a credible challenger. It's fairly average by definition.

Whether that's where Morton are or not is debatable, I suppose, and when you look at the standard of the league this year it's going to be tough but unless you're Alloa or a perma-diddy like Ayr, squeezing into the top half shouldn't be taken as an bona-fide achievement in itself. We should be in it to go up and if we don't do that then we should be asking questions about it rather than going "well that was awright" even though we got pumped 6-0 in the play-offs.

The club's stated goal is to achieve promotion within three years after finishing 7th last season. Fiishing in the play-offs would count as progress under any credible definition - all the ore so given King Snake has thrown everything into disarray after three games of the league season.

Under normal circumstances I'd be looking for a decent cup run to supplement finishing but not competing in the play-offs but barring a shocker in the Scottish all blame for that already lies with King Snake. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main reservation about Johansson is that commanding the respect of the players is probably going need to come from the training he puts on and getting his tactical decisions right, as opposed to force of personality. Nice guys that don’t get it right on the park don’t last in Scotland - see Ronny Deila. Hard nosed leader types get a bit longer - see someone like Peter Houston. That’s probbaly the sort he needs as assistant.

My main reservation about Johansson is that commanding the respect of the players is probably going need to come from the training he puts on and getting his tactical decisions right, as opposed to force of personality. Nice guys that don’t get it right on the park don’t last in Scotland - see Ronny Deila. Hard nosed leader types get a bit longer - see someone like Peter Houston. That’s probbaly the sort he needs as assistant.

I think that's a vast generalisation. I think Johansson's playing career combined with his coaching work will earn him a lot of respect from the players. I can't imagine him being the sort of guy who will go in and try to stamp his authority over the experienced guys in the squad. You don't need to be a venom-spitting 'leader' to get your point across if you're making a good point. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Of course LinwoodTON’s not a bigot.

That would entail actually forming an opinion about someone, as opposed to thinking what he’s told to think by some alcoholic, bed wetting tramp who’s on death’s door.

He probably still gets his hole more often than you do. 😆

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I think that's a vast generalisation. I think Johansson's playing career combined with his coaching work will earn him a lot of respect from the players. I can't imagine him being the sort of guy who will go in and try to stamp his authority over the experienced guys in the squad. You don't need to be a venom-spitting 'leader' to get your point across if you're making a good point.

Aye, he played at a high level, has over 100 caps and already has a decent coaching career so I don't think he'll struggle for respect that much.

I don't think he seems too much of a nice guy anyway. Seems pretty stubborn and knows what he wants so I'm pretty confident he'll do a decent job.

None of the above really goes for anything but questioning the respect he gets is a bit daft.

The club's stated goal is to achieve promotion within three years after finishing 7th last season. Fiishing in the play-offs would count as progress under any credible definition - all the ore so given King Snake has thrown everything into disarray after three games of the league season.

Under normal circumstances I'd be looking for a decent cup run to supplement finishing but not competing in the play-offs but barring a shocker in the Scottish all blame for that already lies with King Snake. 

Think it just depends on the circumstances, really. If you finish 4th and don't win a game in the second half of the season, you've made an arse of things and the play-off spot shouldn't wash away a monumental collapse; if you finish 4th, play consistently well over the year and look like you're a few players from a serious title challenge the next year, it's a good season's work; if you're steady but uninspiring in an average league, you've just had an average season. Of course, if you win the play-offs then all of that is irrelevant.

My point really is that it's not an absolute barometer for a season - the only absolute one of those is promotion. 

For what it's worth, I think that if we can get into 4th and give a decent account of ourselves in the play-offs after what's happened then it represents a huge step in the right direction and a solid foundation for next season.

I also think we could just about walk away thinking similar if we finish 5th, so again, in terms of how you've performed/progressed over 36 games, the play-off spot isn't the be all and end all. It'd be disappointing not to get it, of course, but it wouldn't radically alter the assessment of  how much closer we are to a title challenge. 

AWMSC

How does not rating Rangers players or calling them a "mob" make you a bigot? :lol:

What an attention seeking nonce

Nah, he's clearly onto something here.

The only possible explanation for thinking Graham Dale, John Adam, Chris McLeod, Lee Robinson, Barrie McKay and Darren Cole were hopeless for Morton could be bigotry. There's no footballing evidence whatsoever to support that view.

As for anyone having a bad feeling about the appointment, yeah, we can't say either way if it's good or bad at this point - we can only go on gut feelings. As with every manager taking their first ever managerial job, you could be landing on a Tommy Craig or Willie McStay level of disaster area who'll lose every game and be sacked in a few months, or you could be finding a total genius who'll over-achieve massively.

There's no way of knowing so some concern is understandable, but I think we can certainly say that with a solid squad built, a small unappealing list of experienced out of work Scottish managers and the way McKinnon left that it's the right time to take this kind of gamble, whether Johansson himself turns out to be the right choice or not.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Nah, he's clearly onto something here.

The only possible explanation for thinking Graham Dale, John Adam, Chris McLeod, Lee Robinson, Barrie McKay and Darren Cole were hopeless for Morton could be bigotry. There's no footballing evidence whatsoever to support that view.

Stop letting facts get in the way of Gordon's drivel.

I'm not concerned about Johansson's personality traits. The idea that being a fire & brimstone sort of manager at a Morton-sized club is automatically an advantage just isn't backed up by recent successes in this league and the lower reaches of the one above.

Even if it is an advantage, it's not as if we've got a squad full of nutters. McAlister, Millar, Denny, Kilday, Tidser etc all have reputations for taking things seriously.

It actually concerns me about the Morton support that folk actually think that our players will have more respect for a wall puncher like Peter f*cking Houston than a guy that has won every major trophy the Scottish game has to offer (presumably), played in the Champions League and the English Premier League and has over 100 caps for his country.

If that’s the route we want to go down, just shut the doors now. We didn’t fight so hard to save our club 17 years ago for THAT.

Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me that some punters think inarticulate ranting shows passion and quiet application and competence shows you that you don''t care. 

Scottish football has been cursed for decades by Jock Wallace wannabes.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived