Mckinnon To Leave For Falkirk Tonight - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Mckinnon To Leave For Falkirk Tonight

sammy

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allowing somebody to build an entire squad when they could contractually stroll away after a few weeks would be the most insanely stupid thing imaginable, which means that's probably exactly what's happened. 

Either you give the manager a year minimum or you don't take him.

Chris, with absolutely no motivation whatsoever to protect his mates, has decreed that most or all managers are gambles, so given that the BoD apparently didn't rate McKinnon anyway, this all worked out brilliantly. We don't have to pay his wages and we've got rid of a guy who, let's face it, we took a right gamble on.

EOho8Pw.png

If most or all managerial appointments were gambles then you'd see this happening a lot more often because everyone would have the same probationary clause. Then if a manager has a superb two-or-three months at a club, a bigger one can swoop in and take him for nothing. So why doesn't this happen multiple times a season across the UK? I can only think of one case in Scotland in the last few years. Does it happen a lot in England?

It would really just depend on the terms of the individual contracts. Wasn’t there talk of Livi timing Miller’s departure this season to keep it within a probabtion period?

It would really just depend on the terms of the individual contracts. Wasn’t there talk of Livi timing Miller’s departure this season to keep it within a probabtion period?

I'm going off what you say about most/all appointments being gambles.

You'll need to explain to me the parallels with Kenny Miller here. Who's he manager of?

EOho8Pw.png

Chris, with absolutely no motivation whatsoever to protect his mates, has decreed that most or all managers are gambles, so given that the BoD apparently didn't rate McKinnon anyway, this all worked out brilliantly. We don't have to pay his wages and we've got rid of a guy who, let's face it, we took a right gamble on.

What are you on about? I haven’t said a thing about whether McKinnon was rated, whether this worked out brilliantly etc. You are making that up. All I’ve said is that one explanation why someone under contract might not attract compensation is the existence of a probabtion period.

I'm going off what you say about most/all appointments being gambles.

You'll need to explain to me the parallels with Kenny Miller here. Who's he manager of?

He was the manager of Livi until recently where his departure was said by some to coincide with a probation period.

He was the manager of Livi until recently where his departure was said by some to coincide with a probation period.

Right. And which club approached him to sign him as manager during his probation period?

EOho8Pw.png

What are you on about? I haven’t said a thing about whether McKinnon was rated, whether this worked out brilliantly etc. You are making that up. All I’ve said is that one explanation why someone under contract might not attract compensation is the existence of a probabtion period.

I've asked for an explanation as to why successful managers don't just get signed by other clubs two or three months into their tenure as a matter of course, given that probationary periods apparently allow this.

EOho8Pw.png

While McKinnon's move might make sense in his personal situation (potentially a longer, more lucrative deal and a much shorter commute) it doesn't change the fact that this is a snaking of the highest order.

I hope Crawford is on the phone to potential replacements already. The shortlist nonsense we're usually treated to won't cut it at this stage of the season. There's a real chance a solid start could turn into a shambles if they spend 6 weeks on this.

None. I don’t follow.

Right, so Kenny Miller mutually agreeing to end his deal has no parallels whatsoever to Ray McKinnon leaving for Falkirk. Glad we have that one sorted.

Again - given that many or all managerial appointments are apparently gambles, why aren't good managers leaving for bigger jobs for nothing all the time?

EOho8Pw.png

I've asked for an explanation as to why successful managers don't just get signed by other clubs two or three months into their tenure as a matter of course, given that probationary periods apparently allow this.

A probabtion period might allow for it in an individual contract. It would depend on the terms of the individual’s contract.

Right, so Kenny Miller mutually agreeing to end his deal has no parallels whatsoever to Ray McKinnon leaving for Falkirk. Glad we have that one sorted.

Again - given that many or all managerial appointments are apparently gambles, why aren't good managers leaving for bigger jobs for nothing all the time?

I think you might be having a different conversation from me. Possibly because you started off by wrongly putting words in my mouth.

A probabtion period might allow for it in an individual contract. It would depend on the terms of the individual’s contract.

This is stretching the definition of 'probation' to its breaking point. If a club has a probationary period where they don't have to pay off an entire contract, that's probation. If the MANAGER has a clause where he can leave for nothing if a better club comes along, that's not probation in anyone's honest understanding of the word. Which is why the Kenny Miller situation is completely irrelevant.

EOho8Pw.png

This is stretching the definition of 'probation' to its breaking point. If a club has a probationary period where they don't have to pay off an entire contract, that's probation. If the MANAGER has a clause where he can leave for nothing if a better club comes along, that's not probation in anyone's honest understanding of the word. Which is why the Kenny Miller situation is completely irrelevant.

At no point in this thread has cmdc done anything other than suggest something, you've picked your own argument and making it with yourself here.

AWMSC

Archived