Who Is The Biggest Arsehole To Have Played For Morton? - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who Is The Biggest Arsehole To Have Played For Morton?

Toby

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You make a good case for both, included.

Such is his insignificance, I've now deleted the option for Donovan Simmonds. I've also deleted Brian Graham, a figure who was never very popular, but given the lack of comment on him, perhaps a harsh nomination. The others without a score of course are Craig Reid, who I feel can get on the board soon, such is his odious nature, and McAnespie. Given he helped prompt me into starting the thread, I feel it would be rude to exclude him at this early stage.

I can only speak for myself but looking back on it I'm not sure why I disliked Graham so much. He didn't do much wrong. He didn't play the way his later career would suggest but he wasn't actively a snake.

McAnespie is a worthy addition to this "Morton's Least Wanted."

EOho8Pw.png

Who you thinking?

Andy Brownrigg for a start.

Edit - some decent players became complete arseholes when they left (a number of them became arsehole managers).

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Not that I think he should be on the list but an honourable mention for Scott Bannerman as he had his moments. My favourite was at an away game (cannot remember the opposition) when he was getting dogs abuse for his efforts, he just chucked the game and turned to do the 1,000 yard hardman stare at who he thought was the main culprit - unfortunately for, I think it was WDE, he was the chosen one! The other player who should be considered for the list was I think our captain at the time who called off playing with an injury only to turn up in another country playing for a Celtic old boys select - his name escapes me for the moment.

Not that I think he should be on the list but an honourable mention for Scott Bannerman as he had his moments. My favourite was at an away game (cannot remember the opposition) when he was getting dogs abuse for his efforts, he just chucked the game and turned to do the 100 yard hardman stare at who he thought was the main culprit - unfortunately for, I think it was WDE, he was the chosen one! The other player who should be considered for the list was I think our captain at the time who called off playing with an injury only to turn up in another country playing for a Celtic old boys select - his name escapes me for the moment.

Bannerman sending me a private message on Bebo telling me to watch my back when I was about 13/14 is my favourite Bannerman moment.

Not that I think he should be on the list but an honourable mention for Scott Bannerman as he had his moments. My favourite was at an away game (cannot remember the opposition) when he was getting dogs abuse for his efforts, he just chucked the game and turned to do the 100 yard hardman stare at who he thought was the main culprit - unfortunately for, I think it was WDE, he was the chosen one! The other player who should be considered for the list was I think our captain at the time who called off playing with an injury only to turn up in another country playing for a Celtic old boys select - his name escapes me for the moment.

Did McPherson not do that with Rangers?

The other player who should be considered for the list was I think our captain at the time who called off playing with an injury only to turn up in another country playing for a Celtic old boys select - his name escapes me for the moment.

That was the aforementioned Stuart McCluskey. He asked McInally to let him go to Dubai as he had an offer of a trial, McInally was happy to let him go, then it turned out that he was playing in an Old Firm Legends charity game despite never having played for either of them. His contract was torn up as a result, which was a relief because he was absolutely shite. His tendency to blame other players for his mistakes far surpassed O'Ware as well, he was an absolute charlatan.

I've also heard that it was his refusal to do a drill in training that led to things kicking off the week McCormack was sacked, but no idea of the truth in that one.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I wonder if other clubs have had such a high number of either arseholes or exceptionally terrible players as Morton have had. It feels like we've had an uncommonly high number of them and that they appear far too frequently, which doesn't really reflect very well at all on the club when you think about it.

Perhaps everybody has them, but I wonder if it's maybe due to the amount of time we spent in the lower leagues as a relatively big fish that caused us to be a magnet for diddies and dicks? Hopefully the fact that we seem to have a bit of ambition and purpose these days draws a line under those days, felt like pretty much every season we had a new contender for a Worst Ever XI.

Carlo Monti's a worthy contender too. 

AWMSC

I wonder if other clubs have had such a high number of either arseholes or exceptionally terrible players as Morton have had. It feels like we've had an uncommonly high number of them and that they appear far too frequently, which doesn't really reflect very well at all on the club when you think about it.

Perhaps everybody has them, but I wonder if it's maybe due to the amount of time we spent in the lower leagues as a relatively big fish that caused us to be a magnet for diddies and dicks? Hopefully the fact that we seem to have a bit of ambition and purpose these days draws a line under those days, felt like pretty much every season we had a new contender for a Worst Ever XI.

Carlo Monti's a worthy contender too.

Lower league football is full of players who skip from club to club each season so it stands to reason that plenty of them have had their share of complete wanks, but Morton maybe do stand out in having so many in that short period of time from the mid to late noughties.

I'd put that down to:

1. A manager who not only tolerated but at times actively encouraged such behaviour

2. That manager keeping his job for four years despite the unprofessional and toxic culture he inflicted on the club

Those factors combined to create a dressing room culture to where you were shunned for not being such a #lad and young players getting their first exposure of professional football never had anyone to show them the correct attitude to make the best of themselves, with the good committed professionals only being able flourish and realise their potential - Millar, McAlister - once they'd made their escape from Morton and got the chance to develop in a proper environment. The manager responsible keeping his job for so long meant that culture was so embedded that it didn't disappear when he finally went, lasting for years after and only really ceasing to stain the club once every single player who'd been part of that dressing room was gone.

No matter who the biggest arsehole of the playing squad in that time was, there's absolutely no doubt that Jim McInally is a far more malicious arsehole with a far more damaging legacy and influence than any of them. That's before we even get to specific examples like his treatment of Kenny McLean or Andy McLaren, which show the type of person he is.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived