#101 dunning1874

dunning1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8722 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:22 AM

POPULAR

He’s got an interview in The Sun today talking about his gambling problems: https://www.thescott...a-ban-gambling/

I don’t want to trivialise any addiction issues by going to a tangential point, but I can’t avoid picking up on this from the article.

“When I’d the chance to go to Stoke City as kitman three years ago, the then-Morton chairman Douglas Rae effectively doubled my wages, and so I’d more money to bet with.

“But I’m not for a second blaming him or anyone else. The mess I was in was all down to me. I was a typical punter, always thinking the next big win was around the corner. I got in trouble a few years ago and the club paid my debts and took the money off my wages every week.

The move to Stoke being offered was actually reported in summer 2014 but he says three years ago, so either way we’re looking at some time between 2014-2016.

At a time when we were hardly spending at the rate of the McInally era, when we still had annual threats of part-time football if we didn’t all bring a friend, when we were continually being reminded of the need to reduce the debt, the club decided to double the wages of the kitman to stop him leaving, rather than allowing him to then replacing him with someone else on the same wage. That’s a serious approach to sustainability.

This football club, honestly.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

#102 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6091 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:21 AM

He’s got an interview in The Sun today talking about his gambling problems: https://www.thescott...a-ban-gambling/

I don’t want to trivialise any addiction issues by going to a tangential point, but I can’t avoid picking up on this from the article.

The move to Stoke being offered was actually reported in summer 2014 but he says three years ago, so either way we’re looking at some time between 2014-2016.

At a time when we were hardly spending at the rate of the McInally era, when we still had annual threats of part-time football if we didn’t all bring a friend, when we were continually being reminded of the need to reduce the debt, the club decided to double the wages of the kitman to stop him leaving, rather than allowing him to then replacing him with someone else on the same wage. That’s a serious approach to sustainability.

Another fine example of mismanagement under the Rae's, crazy to double the wages of the shirt washer.

I hope the bit about Morton knowing he had gambling issues, presumably also that he gambled on Football against the rules, doesn't come back to bite the club who seemingly didn't report it if the charges only came about now?

#103 hoodless

hoodless

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:11 AM

Probably why they’re trying to get rid now.

#104 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5838 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

Surely it depends more on whether it would have cost them more to replace him or not though?

I've also no idea what a kit man's wage is, if he earns outside of football, the hours he works, his role before and after, etc so it's harsh to judge based on one line.

#105 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19587 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:54 AM

Surely it depends more on whether it would have cost them more to replace him or not though?

Yes, I'm sure they would have had to hire a top notch, City of London recruitment consultancy to find a glorified cleaner. Mebbe hold a The Apprentice style search among ten hotshots holed up in a QB high flat, being gradually emptied by Dougie in a boardroom showdown each week. 

With that level of gullibility it's no wonder that the club was able to double wages to any chancer under the sun under the Trust's watch. 

Edited by vikingTON, 13 November 2019 - 11:58 AM.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#106 Scott

Scott

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4165 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:06 PM

Dread to think what sort of wage he must be on  :mellow: another showing of complete incompetence from the Rae's that will no doubt be someone else's fault. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users