Last Match You Went To? - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Last Match You Went To?

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lou Macari signed Gary Holt and Justin Whittle for Celtic from the military in the early 1990s, however neither played with Celtic because Macari got punted shortly afterwards. Holt signed for his hometown team, Kilmarnock, where in 1997 he won the Scottish Cup before going on to play with Norwich City and Nottingham Forest; whilst Whittle joined Macari at Stoke City before having successful spells at Hull City and Grimsby Town.

Holt was terrible, but ended up getting capped ten times for Scotland... well done Craig Brown, another success!

Useless trivia: He was a chef in the Army.

I studied a few years ago with a guy who was in the Royal Navy and played with their team in the 1980s and he showed me a programme for a game he was playing in, which a few players from that game went on to play at a senior level including Guy Whittingham, who played with Portsmouth and Sheffield Wednesday.

Lou Macari signed Gary Holt and Justin Whittle for Celtic from the military in the early 1990s, however neither played with Celtic because Macari got punted shortly afterwards. Holt signed for his hometown team, Kilmarnock, where in 1997 he won the Scottish Cup before going on to play with Norwich City and Nottingham Forest; whilst Whittle joined Macari at Stoke City before having successful spells at Hull City and Grimsby Town.

Theres probably loads more players that ended up in the senior game via the military, this could make a decent thread in itself, do you know of any others?

:)

There was a guy in the Queens Own Highlanders who went on to play for some team in the English League 2 although im stuck for his name.

David Cameron from our mob ( Argylls ) went pro. He trained with Raith Rovers although never played for them. We were in the Army Cup final 2 years on the trot back in 96 and 97 at Aldershot but were unlucky to be beaten twice on penalties. St Mirren scouts were down at it and David was offered a trial with them then went on to sign on the line for them also. He then went on to Brighton then sustained an injury. He played for a couple of other league teams before ending up at Rhyl FC in Wales where he became a prominent scorer. He now manages a team in the Unibond League Div 1 ( Bradford Park Avenue )

Link

You just have to look at Plymouth Argyle to see where they get their name from. As you say, there will be loads more down south that we dont hear of.

Holt was terrible, but ended up getting capped ten times for Scotland... well done Craig Brown, another success!

He played well enough to merit his chance at the time.

Gary Holt was one of those guys that have grafted their way into the Scotland squad rather than some who think it is their god-given right to get capped for their country, eg. Dominic Matteo.

*insert signature here*

He played well enough to merit his chance at the time.

Gary Holt was one of those guys that have grafted their way into the Scotland squad rather than some who think it is their god-given right to get capped for their country, eg. Dominic Matteo.

And he only won 6 caps. :lol:

He was actually an Engineer, his double up job was a Chef :)

Yes, and whenever he was in the press announcing his retirement from his international football career, Jim McLean wrote in his column that he didn't even realise it had started.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

_1930490_matteo300.jpg

Just had to double check and see, cos I think I missed most of it as well. Apparently "Matteo's absence [against Nigeria] will be a blow to Berti Vogts"

slightly off topic but...

since morton have a free week on next week

are any of the members of the board thinkin about going to another match

like any of the scottish cup games ?

thinking about going to watch Queens park v peterhead

Probably go to Stirling/Raith or the junior version of Hibs/Hearts (Leith Athletic v Tynecastle)

Went to the Ayr/Lochee game last night

1st half - two terrible teams showing how not to play football, but Ayr took their goal well.

2nd half - Lochee were dead on their feet and Ayr took advantage, their no 8 was sent off for persistent fouling which was fair enough (he'd been booked for clattering the Ayr player on the bye line in the first half). Their no 6 should have gone for a tackle very similar to the one John Terry was sent off for last night. Ayr pressed home their advantage and got sloppy allowing Lochee to get a goal back.

The striker Gormley is the worst striker I've ever seen at this level, Adam Coakley has been trumped by this talentless pleb.

this was also my last non morton/scotland game I went to.

2nd time I have seen Ayr this season - that was the better display !!!

reasonable crowd though, 1000 more than they have been averaging and the visiting support larger than anything they will get in 2nd div

went to tesco after the game - and came out to see a Lochee bus parked up having just received the brick to window treatment that the Ton busses got to often before they started leaving Ayr on other routes.

Ghost, think I have said before but my Uncle was in the KOSB a number of years ago and played for the army team, he was pals with John McMaster so he arranged a couple of matches with Morton during his time and said it was a great game- my Uncle was a pretty decent keeper and was offered trials by Stranraer following a friendly game with them one night but like yourself he was in the Army for a career.

On topic, it was the final Greenock Juniors got into a couple of years ago, this Saturday me and thebewilderedbeast and millartime are going to head to the Petershill v Bellshill game, TBB cousin is a Petershill fan (think he's on the committee too) and since we're at a lost.

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

It was a Pollok pre-season friendly, only coz my brother was playing and its 5 mins up the road from my flat. Apart from juniors, last one i think was the Threave Vs Raith Scottish Cup tie last season. Reason for that is that my mate plays for Threave.

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

It was a Pollok pre-season friendly, only coz my brother was playing and its 5 mins up the road from my flat. Apart from juniors, last one i think was the Threave Vs Raith Scottish Cup tie last season. Reason for that is that my mate plays for Threave.

what is his name?

know a player for them too

Archived