Strict Liability - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Strict Liability

capitanus

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black people aren’t going to be offended by a half caste saying *racial slur removed*.

Hilarious that you think being Glasweigan is akin to being black. You realise that racial slurs carry offence because of the existence of oppression and such? Idiot.

P.S. You have managed to be racist in that post. Your opinion means absolutely jot to me.

Conveniently bypass two examples of elected politicians being involved in secterianism - didn't bother including the droves of examples from Tories because I don't imagine you are one of them. It benefits politicians and civil society to say that secterianism is football's problem.

Which conclusion about the role of sectarianism in modern Scottish society is more authoritative here: the one made by an entirely independent and expert-led body, supported by the lifelong work of Scotland's leading modern historian; or the one made up by you, based on some garbled and cherry-picked examples, to shore up your preconceived notion that OBFA was nothing more than a brazen attack on the once-proud working classes? 

Tough call IMO. 

We are just going to go in circles, I don't agree with you and you probably think I am a 'gormless' idiot who can't compete with your fact based analysis.

Except that you're not disagreeing with me, you're actually disagreeing with the fact-based conclusions of the experts who were specifically tasked with tackling sectarianism in Scottish society

Just because you don't like what they have to say doesn't mean that you have an equal say on the topic to them. You don't

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Black people aren’t going to be offended by a half caste saying *racial slur removed*.

Black people aren’t going to be offended by *racial slur removed* saying *racial slur removed*.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Which conclusion about the role of sectarianism in modern Scottish society is more authoritative here: the one made by an entirely independent and expert-led body, supported by the lifelong work of Scotland's leading modern historian; or the one made up by you, based on some garbled and cherry-picked examples, to shore up your preconceived notion that OBFA was nothing more than a brazen attack on the once-proud working classes?

Tough call IMO.

Except that you're not disagreeing with me, you're actually disagreeing with the fact-based conclusions of the experts who were specifically tasked with tackling sectarianism in Scottish society.

Just because you don't like what they have to say doesn't mean that you have an equal say on the topic to them. You don't.

I don't have to share the opinion of a body from 4 years ago. That doesn't mean I think that my opinion matters, clearly theirs carries more weight than mine. My opinion is obviously affected/biased by my own lived experiences.

Hilarious that you think being Glasweigan is akin to being black. You realise that racial slurs carry offence because of the existence of oppression and such? Idiot.

P.S. You have managed to be racist in that post. Your opinion means absolutely jot to me.

No, I was wondering why you think someone wouldn’t be offended at being called something depending on where the person who called them it was from.

No, I was wondering why you think someone wouldn’t be offended at being called something depending on where the person who called them it was from.

Ehh? The first reply to my post said weegies find it offensive when rural people call them that. I was pointing out the fact that I am not from a rural place.

Anyway, it will be a long chat trying to explain how discrimination works with someone who uses the words you do but you must know fine well that words mean different things depending on who uses them.

I don't have to share the opinion of a body from 4 years ago. That doesn't mean I think that my opinion matters, clearly theirs carries more weight than mine. My opinion is obviously affected/biased by my own lived experiences.

Theirs isn't an 'opinion' though; it's a conclusion based on all existing evidence and their own expertise. So your contrasting opinion and 'lived experiences' can be safely filed in the bin where they belong. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Religion has no place on a football top. Besides, it was the Celtic Cross I was referring to not a Crucifix.

Also - re flags - obviously in their simplest form they aren't bigoted. But they were used to cash in on the bigoted connotations that they hold. Now, I have stated before that I think Rangers are worse than Celtic - and considerably so. But neither club has any interest in ending this and both will continue to perpetuate the attitudes which reinforce these behaviours.

Who on earth are you to say what has no place on a football top?

You are either very ignorant or very stupid if you don't know or understand that a Celtic Cross is a crucifix, symbolising that Jesus Christ died on the cross. Celtic are proud of their Irish migrant heritage and the role that a Marist Priest played in the foundation of the club, and that's their own prerogative.

World football has countless examples of Christian symbols including as club crests or being incorporated as part of the club badges - even our own national flag depicts the cross of St Andrew - so whether you like it or not, Christian symbolism and people's faith beliefs has managed to find its way into just about every aspect of Western popular culture and has done for several centuries now.

Even Scotland's Parliament - Holyrood - is named after a relic of the cross which Jesus Christ was crucified which St. Margaret, Queen of Scotland had in her possession.

Faith isn't the problem here - intolerance and disrespect towards the faith of others is the problem and by stating that a symbol of faith has no place on a football shirt, you've demonstrated that you are pretty culpable yourself.

*insert signature here*

Also, I just couldn't be bothered writing Glasweigans. I don't think any people from Glasgow are going to be offended by a Greenockian saying weegie

I'm a glaswegian and I don't like the term Weegie. In the pre-internet days the only time you'd ever come across that term is when encountering someone from small-town Scotland who would use it as a derogatory term. In a similar way a Glaswegian would refer to that same person as a sheep-shagger, which would often mean anyone from outwith the Greater Glasgow conurbation.

*insert signature here*

Who on earth are you to say what has no place on a football top?

You are either very ignorant or very stupid if you don't know or understand that a Celtic Cross is a crucifix, symbolising that Jesus Christ died on the cross. Celtic are proud of their Irish migrant heritage and the role that a Marist Priest played in the foundation of the club, and that's their own prerogative.

World football has countless examples of Christian symbols including as club crests or being incorporated as part of the club badges - even our own national flag depicts the cross of St Andrew - so whether you like it or not, Christian symbolism and people's faith beliefs has managed to find its way into just about every aspect of Western popular culture and has done for several centuries now.

Even Scotland's Parliament - Holyrood - is named after a relic of the cross which Jesus Christ was crucified which St. Margaret, Queen of Scotland had in her possession.

Faith isn't the problem here - intolerance and disrespect towards the faith of others is the problem and by stating that a symbol of faith has no place on a football shirt, you've demonstrated that you are pretty culpable yourself.

I am a Catholic and find it offensive that my faith is exploited to sell football tops by a club whose Board think religion and bigotry are marketing techniques.

The rest of what you said - cool, whatever.

I'm a glaswegian and I don't like the term Weegie. In the pre-internet days the only time you'd ever come across that term is when encountering someone from small-town Scotland who would use it as a derogatory term. In a similar way a Glaswegian would refer to that same person as a sheep-shagger, which would often mean anyone from outwith the Greater Glasgow conurbation.

Again, how does 'sheep-shagger' equate to weegie? Anyway, Weegie has entered my lexicon after 5 years of being called a weegie since moving Coasts. If that word offends you or you think it is akin to what we are talking about in this discussion then grow up.

I see this thread's gone about as well as could be expected.

I'm all for strict liability with escalating punishments; warning, fines, stand closures, away allocation reductions etc. Theres no way the Old Firm will go for it though, it will have to be forced upon them. They've got too much vested interest in being able to point fingers through their surrogates and act the victim when it suits them.

I'm also kind of surprised the club hasn't made much of the scuffles on Sinclair St after the Falkirk game. Hawke went as far as to send individuals letters the last time there was a sniff of bother.

Again, how does 'sheep-shagger' equate to weegie? Anyway, Weegie has entered my lexicon after 5 years of being called a weegie since moving Coasts. If that word offends you or you think it is akin to what we are talking about in this discussion then grow up.

Who are you to tell people what they can and cannot be offended by?

Archived