Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow.. - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow..

delboy66

There are sections of the Morton fanbase who, simply put, wouldn't care if Morton didn't win anything for the next decade, because they can still talk about Andy Ritchie and the team of '79. 

I think that's complete and utter nonsense, to be honest, at least among the fellow coffin-dodging fans I know. I'd argue that anyone who'd put nostalgia before success today (if indeed such a person actually exists, which I severely doubt), then they can't be a fan in the first place. I'd give my right nut (no use for it now anyway, ha!) to have a stable and successful Ton playing in the Premiership, in a packed Cappielow.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to agree with you, but I just don't think that's the case. How many supporters openly lambasted any form of critique of Dougie Rae's tenure because he saved the club, despite making an arse of pretty much everything from that moment on? How many supporters didn't/refused to realise the damage (on and off the field) that Jim McInally was causing? How many supporters are content clapping the team off the park when we lose at home to part-time opposition (especially during the relegation season)? How many supporters didn't call out (and bought into) Jim Duffy's mantra of 'poor wee Morton don't have the resources to compete with the likes of Queen of the South, Ayr United and Falkirk'?

I remember someone saying to me when I was a bit younger 'Morton are the shite team that their fans deserve'. I didn't really understand what he meant at the time, I think I get it now. There's a section of the fanbase who are content with abject mediocrity, and they tend to be the same folk who want to bore you to death in a pub talking about a game or a player from the 80s. I'm fed up of people being content with us doing nothing beyond existing. 

All of the questions you raise are valid, and each will know their own answers. For the record, I probably tolerated McInally and Duffy for longer than I ought to but wouldn't stop others having a go at them, including those having a go at DDFR - some of whom have not yet returned to Cappielow. 

As for applauding defeats, it all depends on the circumstances. After a good display against higher opposition (like Hibs recently), or rarely, if all their hard work and effort was undone by satanic refereeing - fair enough. Don't see any point after defeats to crap opponents.

It was once put to me that our fanbase contain those who have followed the club "through thick and thin" and those who have followed "through thin and thinner", suggesting an age/era divide. I don't think it's as clear cut as that, though, between critics and those who appear to accept mediocrity.  

Also, don't dismiss reminiscing about past games, regardless of how far back. It's one of the things that I'm hoping will prevent me having any serious case of dementia later in life.  ;)

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I didn’t even applaud us when we lost at Ibrox, Parkhead, ER etc, never mind against part time dross at home. Perhaps it’s a generational thing but I’d only ever praise a win/credible draw.

As for the Bishop’s points, I’m not sure I’d say the older parts of the fanbase aren’t arsed about achieving anything, but they’re perhaps more content than someone that’s only seen us since the start of this century for example.

All of the questions you raise are valid, and each will know their own answers. For the record, I probably tolerated McInally and Duffy for longer than I ought to but wouldn't stop others having a go at them, including those having a go at DDFR - some of whom have not yet returned to Cappielow. 

As for applauding defeats, it all depends on the circumstances. After a good display against higher opposition (like Hibs recently), or rarely, if all their hard work and effort was undone by satanic refereeing - fair enough. Don't see any point after defeats to crap opponents.

It was once put to me that our fanbase contain those who have followed the club "through thick and thin" and those who have followed "through thin and thinner", suggesting an age/era divide. I don't think it's as clear cut as that, though, between critics and those who appear to accept mediocrity.  

Also, don't dismiss reminiscing about past games, regardless of how far back. It's one of the things that I'm hoping will prevent me having any serious case of dementia later in life.  ;)

This is purely anecdotal but on Facebook, the majority of the "just be thankful we have a club to support" and all that crap are older guys. But it's by no means all of them. Unfortunately the acceptance of utter failure at Morton cuts across generational lines. It's a real problem and while fans have only a very small role to play in a club's outlook, I think acceptance of rubbish over the past twenty (thirty?) years hasn't been helped by a generally servile attitude towards the club, and an acceptance of the idea that we're a wee rubbishy outfit. This I would accept if we were a Brechin or a Forfar or something, but for all its problems, Inverclyde is a decent-sized catchment area with a long tradition of professional football.

EOho8Pw.png

This is purely anecdotal but on Facebook, the majority of the "just be thankful we have a club to support" and all that crap are older guys. But it's by no means all of them. Unfortunately the acceptance of utter failure at Morton cuts across generational lines. It's a real problem and while fans have only a very small role to play in a club's outlook, I think acceptance of rubbish over the past twenty (thirty?) years hasn't been helped by a generally servile attitude towards the club, and an acceptance of the idea that we're a wee rubbishy outfit. This I would accept if we were a Brechin or a Forfar or something, but for all its problems, Inverclyde is a decent-sized catchment area with a long tradition of professional football.

Morton barring the period from 97-2001,have been run by local businessmen in a similar way, I suspect to the wanderers and the cricket club. The attitude dripped down from them.

I recall the old board getting it tight in the early 90s and their being a similar split in the crowd.

There is definitely a correlation there, but there are younger fans with the same attitude. Fans are the people who realistically set the expectation levels for management and the playing staff, off-the-park operations such as communications and the overall direction of the club, so I wouldn't underplay the role fans do/should play at a club of this size. We should be doing better on and off the park, and it's high time supporters started demanding more from the club.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Archived