Jim - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jim

Toby

Didn't know Jim that well but every encounter I had with him over the years he was friendly, kind and generous with his time.

A true Morton supporter and will be sorely missed. R.I.P Jim.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

400 to reach the 5k target in half a day that just shows how well thought of and how many people held jim in high regard within and outwith the morton community

A massive well done to everyone involved its times like this that put football in perspective.

Really sorry to hear this.  Met him years ago when i was a teenager, and then met up again when the Blades came to the Valley.  A genuine bloke, and my thoughts are with his family at this grim time.  RIP.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Been struggling to process this since I was told last night. I just can't believe it. A guy that I've always personally felt I owe a tonne of favours, given all he did for me. A massive part of my life over the last 10 years, there's very few people I know like him. Absolutely stunned. A massive loss to Morton, friends and family.

A guy that I've always personally felt I owe a tonne of favours, given all he did for me.

This is exactly how I felt about Jim. He once told me that all he looked for in his friends was loyalty and never asked for anything else back.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Was thinking about it earlier. I know a lot of morton fans either through going to games or from this forum, but if you put me on the spot and asked me to name a Morton fan, Jim Mcvicar would be the first name that came to my head, which for someone that hardly knew him I guess says a lot about the sort of man and fan he was.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I'm sure everyone can tell a story of how selfless Jim MacVicar was but I've two stories that summed the man up. My stag do was in Hamburg in 2008 and we were due to fly out from Edinburgh. I'd asked about transport on Facebook when Jim phoned me out the blue to say don't worry as he'd booked a minibus for us that he would drive up. He couldn't make the stag himself but point blank refused to take any cash for it and I had to force him to accept the petrol money. Secondly, I went a bit off the rails over the past couple of years and the first man to pick up the phone was Jim. He drove down to Largs within the hour and literally knocked sense into me, told me some home truths before handing me tickets to the circus insisting I took Elaine and Olivia, again refusing to take payment. He probably saved my marriage as I was ready for the heave ho at that point and I don't mind admitting that. He was a man that always put others first and I know he absolutely adored his wife and kids. This has hit me harder than I ever expected as I see a lot of myself in Jim and he told me I was a mirror image of himself. His passing will leave a huge void in my life. RIP Jim, I'll never forget you and thanks for everything x

I wouldn't normally post something this personal on the messageboard but this was Jim to a tee.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

On the way back from Kirkcaldy last night I heard him saying that he was looking forward to going to the Sheffield United v Bradford match tomorrow as it was a local derby and the Blades had just won promotion. I just hope that Morton can do it too and if we do, it should be in Jim's memory.

Can't imagine what his wife and kids are going through just now.

I'm sure everyone can tell a story of how selfless Jim MacVicar was but I've two stories that summed the man up. My stag do was in Hamburg in 2008 and we were due to fly out from Edinburgh. I'd asked about transport on Facebook when Jim phoned me out the blue to say don't worry as he'd booked a minibus for us that he would drive up. He couldn't make the stag himself but point blank refused to take any cash for it and I had to force him to accept the petrol money. Secondly, I went a bit off the rails over the past couple of years and the first man to pick up the phone was Jim. He drove down to Largs within the hour and literally knocked sense into me, told me some home truths before handing me tickets to the circus insisting I took Elaine and Olivia, again refusing to take payment. He probably saved my marriage as I was ready for the heave ho at that point and I don't mind admitting that. He was a man that always put others first and I know he absolutely adored his wife and kids. This has hit me harder than I ever expected as I see a lot of myself in Jim and he told me I was a mirror image of himself. His passing will leave a huge void in my life. RIP Jim, I'll never forget you and thanks for everything x

I wouldn't normally post something this personal on the messageboard but this was Jim to a tee.

Cheers for sharing LT, great post and gives a small insight into what kind of guy he was for people like me who only really knew him by name!

More stories the better!

Not nearly as life-changing as LT's example but I remember sitting in the stand with him at a reserve game against Gretna (which he drove me to... and back from :P ) when I was having some hard times at home and he was sharing a lot of his own experiences from growing up, which helped put a lot of things into perspective. It sounds like this was typical.

EOho8Pw.png

Sorry to hear about your own issues, LT, but an amazing post to read.

Don't mind admitting I had a lump in my throat reading that.

Thanks for posting that mate, as you said Jim to a tee. Big man was top class. Cannot get my head around this whole thing, really hope we can come through these playoffs and do it for him.

Archived