Arbroath v Morton - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Arbroath v Morton

Ton4life

That’s plenty. Mark Russell was in the same category until he washed up playing for some tinpot Irish rabble for a living instead.

Mark Russell isn't Lewis Strapp though. Well get a couple of million for him. It will just get reported as £50,000 as the lesser Rae's will concoct a fly move with the rest of the transfer fee so they can plead poverty for even longer.

In the meantime, continue with your 'ivry buddy chips in munny' subscription, as your £300 a year season ticket money isn't enough and can only buy complete whammy's.

*insert signature here*

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arbroath fans on P&B seem unanimous that we were absolutely terrible. Some said that the game was heading for 0-0, others said they deserved the win, but none thought we were in any way a threat and that our weaknesses were clear.

Hoppy's not daft, he's been around the block both as a player and a manager. One hopes he's not delusional enough to think this is anything but an emergency.

Hate to say it but it's looking increasingly like when Gary Locke got Raith relegated. Panic signings as the season wears on, a bloated squad but weak in core positions, and a manager who just changes things constantly rather than drilling the basics into the team. I don't think we'll go down, but those core weaknesses are going to cost us dearly and are sacrificing what is a very possible top four place.

EOho8Pw.png

Lewis Strapp is a great player. Probably the greatest Morton player we've produced since Derek Lilley.

There’s a statement that sums up how completely ineffective the Morton youth set-up has been over the last 20 years.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Mark Russell isn't Lewis Strapp though. Well get a couple of million for him. It will just get reported as £50,000 as the lesser Rae's will concoct a fly move with the rest of the transfer fee so they can plead poverty for even longer.

In the meantime, continue with your 'ivry buddy chips in munny' subscription, as your £300 a year season ticket money isn't enough and can only buy complete whammy's.

A couple of million :lol:

A delusional valuation. Not even Shankland is worth a solitary million playing at this level

Well slept on it only to awaken and find yesterday's results were real and we are heading the wrong way.

The A92 is red tarmac and I hope my red raged face was hopefully out shined by Grant's embarrassment at putting that one over the bar.

Cadden pulled up and the guy who came on didn't look to know what to do. Is he really our replacement physio?

They usually say up and on but might be on and down this year, hope not.

And by the way red dot man I would take £50,000 for Strapp as only average. Hoppy please play RL in central midfield before I die and turn Blue.

Crawford Rae said that was the case at the Gamble halls

That the same one they refused to allow minutes to be released from, or another one?

The same Crawford who does not have the sole autonomy to make such a pledge and nothing from the other shareholders to say his pledge had any foundation?

And the fact the game is now changed where Morton fans are pledging money to secure tiered write offs going completely against any previous thinly veiled, unsubstantiated pledge to write it off anyway?

Yeah. All points to a write off happening anyway.

That the same one they refused to allow minutes to be released from, or another one?

The same Crawford who does not have the sole autonomy to make such a pledge and nothing from the other shareholders to say his pledge had any foundation?

And the fact the game is now changed where Morton fans are pledging money to secure tiered write offs going completely against any previous thinly veiled, unsubstantiated pledge to write it off anyway?

Yeah. All points to a write off happening anyway.

Exactly would not trust the guy .

If our game plan is to constantly launch high balls to Sutton then we need bodies around him to win his flick ons. We were second to every ball and barely managed to string 2 passes. A woeful performance, a few Arbroath fans in the boozer at full time were saying we’re easily the worst side they’ve played this season.

Also, that miss from Grant in the first half is absolutely criminal.

Seriously - pipe down with this patter. Strapp is 19 years old and has less than 65 professional games under his belt, with the majority of those games being at League Two level. He has potential, nothing more than that. It benefits absolutely nobody, least of all Strapp, to keep banging on about how wonderful he is going to be. Plenty of players with far more potential than Strapp have fizzled out and the last thing we needs is unnecessary pressure being placed upon him. 

Am I the only one who hasn't been overly impressed by Lyon this season? Good young player who looks like he could have a really good career in front of him, but I'm not convinced that he has what we're missing in midfield. We're playing with 3 centre mids and not finding any creativity between them.

I'd rather see us drop a central midfield player and go 4-4-1-1. Let Nesbitt drop deeper in more central areas to get the ball and have the freedom to also support McHugh, with Cadden and Salkeld/King out wide and two central midfield players playing with a bit of discipline.

At the moment I'd have him in the team ahead of Millar and definitely ahead of Blues. A shape change should be looked at, but I'd rather some variation on a 3-4-3 to protect our piss poor defence and get more bodies around Sutton. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

If our game plan is to constantly launch high balls to Sutton then we need bodies around him to win his flick ons. We were second to every ball and barely managed to string 2 passes.

Indeed. Cadden was saying in the Tele during the week that the plan was to "get the ball into the Arbroath third as quickly as possible" but it didn't really look like the long balls to Sutton were a tactic, so much as the absence of any. There's no movement behind him, no variety or aim in the balls up to him: it just gets scudded forward every time...or sliced aimlessly in the air, as often as not. So many of our players quite literally cannot kick a ball properly - I doubt Ramsbottom himself knows where his kicks are meant to be going, it's a lottery every time. The defenders aren't any better.

Given all of that, it's hard to see how Nesbitt and Cadden are meant to get involved in games when there's no midfield, there's no point in having them or any of the other batch of wide players in the squad. Why on earth has Hopkin insisted on having so many when he clearly doesn't want to or doesn't know how to use them? 

Sutton in particular must be furious about how things are going. On top of expected to win a ridiculous amount of duels on his own just to see a defender winning the second ball every time, he spends his week coaching youth players at a club claiming to value youngsters then watches the likes of Cameron fuckin Blues playing ahead of Reece Lyon. 

Morton are an absolute shambles at every single level. 

AWMSC

Same old laundry list of excuses: it wiz the injury and we’ve got such a young squad for this level blah blah nonsense. And Billy King actually played like a young Jairzinho in his useless, sand-dancing cameo.

Two goals scored and seventeen conceded in five sway league defeats, three of which were against tinpot outfits. When is he going to take responsibility for this parade of shambolic failure?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'd rather see us drop a central midfield player and go 4-4-1-1.

Yes, let's remove a central midfielder so that any of our superb combinations can be outnumbered most weeks, just to allow us to field even more useless, sand dancing wide midfielders. Which is the case with 99% of all winger and wide midfielders picked up from the scrapheap at this level of the game and is why we shouldn't have wasted about seven wages on them in the current squad. Oh and let's continue playing with a right back even though Welsh is so uncomfortable playing there that he wouldn't go within five yards of his man to block a cross on Saturday and all our other options there have proven to be hopeless liabilities. You are Jonatan Johannsson and I claim my £50 prize. 

The correct formation involves a back three, this has been screamingly obvious from the start of the season, and perhaps Cadden's injury will prove a blessing in disguise if it ends the doe-eyed sentimentality about not being able to fit him and Strapp in that formation. The team on Saturday should look something like this:

Rogers

Welsh Baird Grant

Salkeld Lyon Jacobs McAlister (or Millar) Strapp

Sutton McHugh

Nesbott should sit on the bench for at least a week as he's been terrible since returning from his injury. If we want to really go at a team then you can risk dropping a midfielder out for him and go with a 3-4-3 instead. This is not complicated stuff, David Irons managed to make this work with Kevin Finlayson FFS. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Yes, let's remove a central midfielder so that any of our superb combinations can be outnumbered most weeks, just to allow us to field even more useless, sand dancing wide midfielders. Which is the case with 99% of all winger and wide midfielders picked up from the scrapheap at this level of the game and is why we shouldn't have wasted about seven wages on them in the current squad. Oh and let's continue playing with a right back even though Welsh is so uncomfortable playing there that he wouldn't go within five yards of his man to block a cross on Saturday and all our other options there have proven to be hopeless liabilities. You are Jonatan Johannsson and I claim my £50 prize.

The correct formation involves a back three, this has been screamingly obvious from the start of the season, and perhaps Cadden's injury will prove a blessing in disguise if it ends the doe-eyed sentimentality about not being able to fit him and Strapp in that formation. The team on Saturday should look something like this:

Rogers

Welsh Baird Grant

Salkeld Lyon Jacobs McAlister (or Millar) Strapp

Sutton McHugh

Nesbott should sit on the bench for at least a week as he's been terrible since returning from his injury. If we want to really go at a team then you can risk dropping a midfielder out for him and go with a 3-4-3 instead. This is not complicated stuff, David Irons managed to make this work with Kevin Finlayson FFS.

I would say that looks to be our best lineup. Also the one that involves all players in natural positions. For me, Jacobs and Lyon have to play in our midfield.

Unfortunately, what is most likely to happen if this formation is used is Jacobs will play right wingback with Millar, Mcalister and Blues in the middle... And mibby Brian McLean will feature.....and the result will be similar to before...and the formation will be ditched...and the tombola will come out again for the next collection of 11 players...

Archived