Club statement- Gambling on football - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Club statement- Gambling on football

pink_panther

Remember we are talking about a fan of the club who has served us through thick and thin (even turning down the chance to go down south).

No, we are talking about an employee who is currently putting his employer's name into disrepute in the tabloid press. Nothing else is relevant right now, and if it was for example a Tesco employee showing up their company on social media then they'd get the full weight of disciplinary action, up to and including the sack, regardless of how big a fan or devoted servant they claim to be. 

Assuming that the matches he placed bets on do not involve Morton, has he really done anything wrong other than being stupid enough to not use a fake name.

Well yes he has, as by breaching this rule he is currently dragging the club's reputation through the mud as explained above. Which in the form of a betting story is really not acceptable given that it was just five years ago that the club was accused of throwing the last game of the season by that fat disaster Hartley, and fifteen since the infamous collapse/betting scandal collapse. For someone who was actually at the club during both of those extremely damaging incidents, you'd expect to him a) know better than this B) at least try to cover his tracks if having a fly punt instead of openly flouting it in the public domain and c) act in a far more contrite manner when he got caught red-handed. It's those three points that have undone whatever sympathy I might have had in this case. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the lad chris raised money for something else. He just commented with a throwaway comment about using it to pay his fine.

Trivial, but he really ought to keep his powder dry with respect of this.

Agree with the rules or not, they are the rules and are getting the club bad publicity from it. If he's joking about it then he should be punted.

No coincidence for me that the two members of staff who the new manager didn’t want to still be at the club under his rain are now under investigation. In Andy’s case, while he has been stupid enough to be posting online about his bets, why is it only coming to light now?...Only a short period of time after his van was stolen. Possibly a coincidence, or is the gambling only coming to light as the first attempt to displace him didn’t work.

Remember we are talking about a fan of the club who has served us through thick and thin (even turning down the chance to go down south). Assuming that the matches he placed bets on do not involve Morton, has he really done anything wrong other than being stupid enough to not use a fake name.

I assume you are related Mr 1 post. 

If he has broken rules that are well known he should pick up his Daz and walk.

No coincidence for me that the two members of staff who the new manager didn’t want to still be at the club under his rain are now under investigation. In Andy’s case, while he has been stupid enough to be posting online about his bets, why is it only coming to light now?...Only a short period of time after his van was stolen. Possibly a coincidence, or is the gambling only coming to light as the first attempt to displace him didn’t work.

Remember we are talking about a fan of the club who has served us through thick and thin (even turning down the chance to go down south). Assuming that the matches he placed bets on do not involve Morton, has he really done anything wrong other than being stupid enough to not use a fake name.

Who else does he not want at the club then?

No, we are talking about an employee who is currently putting his employer's name into disrepute in the tabloid press. Nothing else is relevant right now, and if it was for example a Tesco employee showing up their company on social media then they'd get the full weight of disciplinary action, up to and including the sack, regardless of how big a fan or devoted servant they claim to be.

Well yes he has, as by breaching this rule he is currently dragging the club's reputation through the mud as explained above. Which in the form of a betting story is really not acceptable given that it was just five years ago that the club was accused of throwing the last game of the season by that fat disaster Hartley, and fifteen since the infamous collapse/betting scandal collapse. For someone who was actually at the club during both of those extremely damaging incidents, you'd expect to him a) know better than this B) at least try to cover his tracks if having a fly punt instead of openly flouting it in the public domain and c) act in a far more contrite manner when he got caught red-handed. It's those three points that have undone whatever sympathy I might have had in this case.

I take your point and it’s hard to disagree. Being a fan of the club/loyal servant unfortunately doesn't make you untouchable in the event of wrongdoing. In terms of punishment, Im not sure what the SFA will issue. Morton’s own punishment though is of course subject to the ‘internal investigation’. Quite what this will involve I have no idea. I don’t imagine we have a disciplinary procedure let alone one for this offence. If the outcome is one of sacking, then as unfortunate as it is, no one can really have any complaints.

My main point though was the circumstances surrounding this seem to be suspicious imo as there hasn’t been any recent social media activity from him on the topic of betting. If the SFA were wanting to make a point that it won’t be tolerated etc then I find it hard to believe this is the case they would go for instead choosing someone more high profile.

As it’s been mentioned, the rules surround the topic are clear. And it comes down to personal opinion whether they are excessive or not. I have to agree that the kitman being excluded from betting on any football seems a bit extreme but I can understand the reasoning for your own league and even the country you operate in. Ultimately though, he has broken the rules and must now face the fire.

I'm far less concerned about the tabloids, who are sensationalists at the best of times, and more about the SFA punishment and scrutiny this will bring to the club, not to mention how well (or not well) we handle things like this internally. It's a real can of worms.

EOho8Pw.png

Lots of reference being made to the kitman being unable to influence results - I've always thought the reason these rules extend beyond the playing squad and coaches is down to insider information. He might be able to gain an "unfair" advantage when compared to the usual bookie v punter betting terms.

Lots of reference being made to the kitman being unable to influence results - I've always thought the reason these rules extend beyond the playing squad and coaches is down to insider information. He might be able to gain an "unfair" advantage when compared to the usual bookie v punter betting terms.

Or put bets on for players, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived