Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow.. - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow..

delboy66

Former players of the club cant get tickets for Cappielow or have giving up or having to make there own arrangements because there dealing with Folk who have never heard of them or don't really care from a Era of the Team & the Club was on a high along with its Supporters late 70s early 80s its a disgrace that former Players in Jim Liddell & Charlie Brown have to do this..

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our average attendance is under 2,000 folk, so there's no reason why any ex-player can't get a ticket if they go to the ticket office with a couple of tenners in hand. Unless they are expecting freebies...

Edit to add:

We've got impoverished owners nowadays who are relying on the charity of supporters to do what is their responsibility to make sure they are solvent and not having to pawn their Aston Martins - some middle aged men who once made a decent living out of Morton can stump up like everyone else. No sympathy from me, but I enjoyed seeing Delboy throw his toys out the pram. GIFUY :lol:

*insert signature here*

Former players of the club cant get tickets for Cappielow or have giving up or having to make there own arrangements because there dealing with Folk who have never heard of them or don't really care from a Era of the Team & the Club was on a high along with its Supporters late 70s early 80s its a disgrace that former Players in Jim Liddell & Charlie Brown have to do this..

You mean they said 'don't you know who I am' for a freebie and got dingied?

Well boo fucking hoo.

Who gives a flying fuck? There's something to be said for inviting the better known ex-players along as special guests in the hospitality lounges, but there's absolutely no reason why they should otherwise be entitled to freebies.

Indeed, and where do you draw the line? Does Andy Barrowman get in free?

Is that normal for other clubs? If it is, we should act in the same way. If not, we have it right. Personally, former players of note should be made welcome. No matter what era they come from.

Being made welcome and getting in for free aren't the same things.

There’s now a new Morton forum where Gordon the mods promise you won’t get the pish ripped out of you for making a complete fanny of yourself for the umpteenth time, delboy.

I've never heard of them and don't particularly care about some team that people have been banging on about constantly for every one of the past forty fucking years either. 

Our VIP service should be reserved for genuine legends like Brian Wake. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Brown is a local lad who came up through whatever youth system we had back then, spent eight years at the club, never quite fulfilled his early promise but had some very bright moments. Guys like this, who are trying to maintain a connection with the club, I would like to see well-treated by the powers that be at Cappielow. I say this a lot but the only way Morton are going to survive as a professional outfit - at least one that's not basically a vehicle for dodgy agents - is to really get the community behind it, and that means encouraging a lifelong connection with the club whenever possible. So I'd like to know exactly what happened here. Two sides to every story and all that.

Jim Liddell on the other hand is a footnote. If someone like Paul Mathers rocked up asking for comps I'd tell him to get fucked, or at least ask him if he's planning on sticking around.

EOho8Pw.png

I say this a lot but the only way Morton are going to survive as a professional outfit - at least one that's not basically a vehicle for dodgy agents - is to really get the community behind it, and that means encouraging a lifelong connection with the club whenever possible. 

Hamilton are a two-bob tinpot outfit that not even their former club 'legends' would bother to highlight on their CV, yet have spent the best part of fifteen years now bobbing between the top two tiers. The Famous by contrast have always had a vastly larger 'community footprint' - or whatever pish metric the Community Trust wonks are using - yet have contrived to do absolutely fuck all on the park and as a result of that fact are a financial basketcase. 

I really don't think that doing favours to employees from donkeys' years ago is the big trick that we're somehow missing out on here to secure the future of the club. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Hamilton are a two-bob tinpot outfit that not even their former club 'legends' would bother to highlight on their CV, yet have spent the best part of fifteen years now bobbing between the top two tiers. The Famous by contrast have always had a vastly larger 'community footprint' - or whatever pish metric the Community Trust wonks are using - yet have contrived to do absolutely fuck all on the park and as a result of that fact are a financial basketcase. 

I really don't think that doing favours to employees from donkeys' years ago is the big trick that we're somehow missing out on here to secure the future of the club. 

No, it's not the big trick, but it's part of it. And unfortunately we've shown ourselves to be singularly unable to replicate the success of Hamilton. 

EOho8Pw.png

No, it's not the big trick, but it's part of it. And unfortunately we've shown ourselves to be singularly unable to replicate the success of Hamilton. 

When hardly anyone even in their own town cares about Hamilton and yet they're both i) more financially secure and ii) more successful on the park than GMFC then it stands to reason that 'greater community engagement' - never mind a particularly daft and costly exercises like handing out free comps on demand to for former employees - is not actually related to either of those two outcomes at all. 

When hardly anyone even in their own town cares about Hamilton and yet they're both i) more financially secure and ii) more successful on the park than GMFC then it stands to reason that 'greater community engagement' - never mind a particularly daft and costly exercises like handing out free comps on demand to for former employees - is not actually related to either of those two outcomes at all. 

It is, in my estimation, a small contributory factor to a long-term sustainability project. Look at MCT - among the kind of people who still read things like the "Greenock Telegraph", having ex-players trotted out to say "aye, give them your money" probably gave it a bit of credence. Having these guys on deck for situations like that is a relatively small investment with almost no downside attached, unless one of them turns out to be a terrorist or something. And the upsides, while rare and unusual, come very cheaply.

The fact that we spunked 20 years' worth of wages on dross is not really related to this. Had we spent 2001 onwards running a glorified creche for ex-players, I would agree with you. But that's not where the failings were.

EOho8Pw.png

Here's one deliverable and cost-neutral way of 'establishing a lifelong connection with the club': how about you stop treating the one competition that you can feasibly win every season as a glorified bounce match for your reserve players? Not least on the bogus ground that you need to 'concentrate on the league' (a full, fifteen day gap between the Inverness and Queen of the South league fixtures).

Pointing to a league table and the number of points that you've got at the end of it does nothing to engage with the core fanbase never mind the larger 'community' that we all should care about so much; actually demonstrating an ability to fucking win something for a change just might. As so often with the club, the genuine steps forward being made are so quickly reversed by attitudes (and stinking results like the televised Inverness game) that confirm to any casual observer that we're still just a glorified tinpot outfit with no serious intent of doing anything at all. 

Archived