Which players would you keep - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Which players would you keep

Interested

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know we're living in bad times when even Dundee display more business nous than the empty suit chief executive at Cappielow. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Not sure if mention app Dundee looking for £30k development fee

That was estimated if Morton offered him a contract. They'd need to offer him something to get that. If they do offer him something, we wouldn't be able to match it.

If I was another team, I'd look at the biggest majority of our squad and go "aye, they're alright, I'll take them" but it'd be hard to be enthusiastic about too many staying after the way things have went. 

I've probably said it before, but we've got a squad of players that mostly consists of alright mid-table Championship players. With a run of the mill manager getting the basic level out of each of them, we'd be on the coat-tails of the play-offs and probably just squeezed out in the end; with the right manager, which could or could not have been McKinnon, getting a bit more out of them, we'd most likely be fairly comfortable in 4th place by now; with a really s***e one, we'd be exactly where we are now.

We'd probably get on better if the players weren't still trying to work out what Johansson wants and just ignored him: all you need to do is look at the way the midfielders stand at the half-way line, desperate to push forward and clearly being told not to. 

This is similar to the point I was making earlier, a good number of these players were looking good under McKinnon, and even at the start under JJ. Managers like Jim Goodwin and Gary Holt seem to get a tune out of players of a similar standard, even the likes of Andy Graham who we felt was past his best and not up to Morton standard. In some games under JJ these players have been decent in the first half and it seems he couldnt wait to get them in the dressing room to explain that we're only Morton and need to sit back and try to hit on the break. As I said and you've alluded to above, there's a lot of evidence on this forum alone that the "manager" is confusing and stifling the players. For that reason I am pretty sure some of these players will be at least competent with a proper manager.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that there's just a dead rubber game left to play and probably a fair bit more league prize money coming in over last season to mitigate the cutbacks a little, it's time to asses the squad for next season, assuming that none of our loanees are going to come back - too good (McCrorie, Kiltie) and too shan (the other jobbers) for that respectively.

Goalkeepers

Pearson: has been signed to compete for next season and won't be on much so it's a KEEP.

Gaston: if he's willing with his other work commitments to sign up for a reduced wage, essentially part-time deal (training on a couple of days would be fine) then I'd keep him around to offer competition. But backup goalkeeper should be the first position to cut back on in the squad so if that's not acceptable to Gaston then we need to get rid and rely on a cheap loan from somewhere else. UNDECIDED

Centre-backs

Waddell: bizarrely rated for a brief time but isn't actually any good - it's no thanks for me when Dundee punt him in the summer. GET RID

Kilday:  has had a bit of a hot and cold campaign though at least injuries haven't kept him out for long spells again. As one of the club's longest-serving players I'd KEEP and try to bring in experience alongside him again.

I've got very little patience in general and absolutely none of it has been kept for Gregor Buchanan. His improved performances over the last three games isn't enough to save him for me - GET RID. So far, so quickly. Let's hope that contract extension trigger can be untriggered, or simply tell him that he'll be spending the year as a glorified training cone. 

Full/wing-backs

Iredale: hasn't had a stellar season but is likely cheap and still capable of doing better, so it's a definite KEEP.

Tumilty: looked largely useless months ago but has grown less offensive over time. If we were going for the play-offs then we should definitely be upgrading in his position but we're not now. On the fence with this one. UNDECIDED

McKeown: GET RID. Strapp returning from loan offers us relatively cheaper competition for Iredale so McKeown is useless to us now.

Midfield

Only an absolute moron would refuse McAlister and Millar another year as set out in their contracts. Both their continued quality and experience have come to the fore recently and will be all the more important next season. KEEP X2

Lyon: self-explanatory KEEP

Dykes: Wake weeps at the fact that he's already signed up until May 2020. Someone find the fucking receipt and GET RID. 

Telfer: Has largely had a disappointing season although if his interview with the Tele is to be believed then he was also been playing with an injury during a lot of the campaign as well. I wanted him to show his worth to the club in the closing stages of the campaign before making my mind up and he certainly came good when it was required by putting the final stake in the heart of those vermin. We need to bear in mind finances though and I suspect that the club and the player may just be too far apart from this one. I'm leaning towards KEEP but I wouldn't be surprised - or massively bothered - if he left instead. 

Forwards

And now begins the purge.

Thomson: not the Ján Koller figure that TTGJ foolishly thinks he is but has failed in every other role before that as well. Part-time football is probably going to be his preference but we must make sure of that as well - GET RID.

Oliver: Kiltie has done more in the same role in the last six weeks than that sand-dancer has delivered in the last 24 months at the club. There is some ability there but a lack of consistent application, combined with a poor return and serious injury concerns means that this has to be a GET RID.

McHugh: not buying for one moment any revisonism about this player. Being the most prolific of these Morton forwards is like being the world's tallest dwarf. He simply does not score enough goals to get away with doing very little when we don't have the ball and is probably a fairly high earner given Duffy handed him that deal two years ago as well. He has been part of the dire forward play at this club for too long and so we should GET RID and start over with an entirely clean slate. 

Johnstone: Almost entirely forgotten about him; it's simply been a disaster and we need to cut our losses. Unless some sort of very favourable pay-as-you-play deal could be stitched up off the back of GMFC's extreme generosity this season, we must GET RID. Would not be surprised if his career is coming to an end as well tbh. 

Core of the squad to start 2019/20: Pearson; Kilday; Iredale; Strapp; McAlister; Millar; Lyon. 

Mebbes: Gaston; Tumilty; Telfer. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Now that there's just a dead rubber game left to play and probably a fair bit more league prize money coming in over last season to mitigate the cutbacks a little, it's time to asses the squad for next season, assuming that none of our loanees are going to come back - too good (McCrorie, Kiltie) and too shan (the other jobbers) for that respectively.

Goalkeepers

Pearson: has been signed to compete for next season and won't be on much so it's a KEEP.

Gaston: if he's willing with his other work commitments to sign up for a reduced wage, essentially part-time deal (training on a couple of days would be fine) then I'd keep him around to offer competition. But backup goalkeeper should be the first position to cut back on in the squad so if that's not acceptable to Gaston then we need to get rid and rely on a cheap loan from somewhere else. UNDECIDED

Centre-backs

Waddell: bizarrely rated for a brief time but isn't actually any good - it's no thanks for me when Dundee punt him in the summer. GET RID

Kilday: has had a bit of a hot and cold campaign though at least injuries haven't kept him out for long spells again. As one of the club's longest-serving players I'd KEEP and try to bring in experience alongside him again.

I've got very little patience in general and absolutely none of it has been kept for Gregor Buchanan. His improved performances over the last three games isn't enough to save him for me - GET RID. So far, so quickly. Let's hope that contract extension trigger can be untriggered, or simply tell him that he'll be spending the year as a glorified training cone.

Full/wing-backs

Iredale: hasn't had a stellar season but is likely cheap and still capable of doing better, so it's a definite KEEP.

Tumilty: looked largely useless months ago but has grown less offensive over time. If we were going for the play-offs then we should definitely be upgrading in his position but we're not now. On the fence with this one. UNDECIDED

McKeown: GET RID. Strapp returning from loan offers us relatively cheaper competition for Iredale so McKeown is useless to us now.

Midfield

Only an absolute moron would refuse McAlister and Millar another year as set out in their contracts. Both their continued quality and experience have come to the fore recently and will be all the more important next season. KEEP X2

Lyon: self-explanatory KEEP

Dykes: Wake weeps at the fact that he's already signed up until May 2020. Someone find the fucking receipt and GET RID.

Telfer: Has largely had a disappointing season although if his interview with the Tele is to be believed then he was also been playing with an injury during a lot of the campaign as well. I wanted him to show his worth to the club in the closing stages of the campaign before making my mind up and he certainly came good when it was required by putting the final stake in the heart of those vermin. We need to bear in mind finances though and I suspect that the club and the player may just be too far apart from this one. I'm leaning towards KEEP but I wouldn't be surprised - or massively bothered - if he left instead.

Forwards

And now begins the purge.

Thomson: not the Ján Koller figure that TTGJ foolishly thinks he is but has failed in every other role before that as well. Part-time football is probably going to be his preference but we must make sure of that as well - GET RID.

Oliver: Kiltie has done more in the same role in the last six weeks than that sand-dancer has delivered in the last 24 months at the club. There is some ability there but a lack of consistent application, combined with a poor return and serious injury concerns means that this has to be a GET RID.

McHugh: not buying for one moment any revisonism about this player. Being the most prolific of these Morton forwards is like being the world's tallest dwarf. He simply does not score enough goals to get away with doing very little when we don't have the ball and is probably a fairly high earner given Duffy handed him that deal two years ago as well. He has been part of the dire forward play at this club for too long and so we should GET RID and start over with an entirely clean slate.

Johnstone: Almost entirely forgotten about him; it's simply been a disaster and we need to cut our losses. Unless some sort of very favourable pay-as-you-play deal could be stitched up off the back of GMFC's extreme generosity this season, we must GET RID. Would not be surprised if his career is coming to an end as well tbh.

Core of the squad to start 2019/20: Pearson; Kilday; Iredale; Strapp; McAlister; Millar; Lyon.

Mebbes: Gaston; Tumilty; Telfer.

Tl;dr

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

You should read it, seems pretty fair. The only thing I’d take exception to is keeping Kilday. No harm to him, but his time is done.

EDIT: And possibly ditching McHugh.

That is the only changes I would make too. Although I would definitely keep Telfer rather than probably keep him.

I'd personally get rid of Telfer, McHugh and Kilday. If you told me we had to keep one then I'd pick Telfer based purely on his past few games but I just can't forget how ineffective and off the pace he's been the majority of the season.

This has been one of the least enjoyable morton teams to watch in my 25 years supporting them and I don't think the past few decent performances warrant keeping them despite kilday and telfer playing really well in them (ICT and Falkirk games anyway as I didn't see dunfermline game).

I'd rather a clean slate and get this team out of our consciousness. Without Tidser and Kiltie I don't think I could put up with another season of the same performances we've put up with at times from a lot of these players.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I’m not fussed about keeping anyone. I’d be fine with keeping Telfer but up until about two weeks ago I was fine with most of them going and that hasn’t really changed. We need a relatively clean slate.

I’m not fussed about keeping anyone. I’d be fine with keeping Telfer but up until about two weeks ago I was fine with most of them going and that hasn’t really changed. We need a relatively clean slate.

In addition to this we presumably won't have much of a choice. This is likely to be our lowest budget in many years.

EOho8Pw.png

I would like to keep the following (if possible):

Goalkeepers: Gaston and McCrorie

Defenders: Iredale, Buchanan (with the right partner), Strapp

Midfielders: Millar, McAllister, Tidser, Lyon

Forwards: Kiltie, Johnston (but only if we can get/keep him fit)

The rest I'm afraid are either very inconsistent or tend to hide when needed most.

If the loan players they are after are of the quality of Kiltie or even McCrorrie then we could have a decent season if we are ruthless with who we spend money on. However, I expect it to be more like Dallas and O'Connell - maybe even as bad as Luke Donnelly.

On Telfer, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his recent improvement has happened at the same time as Kitlie hitting a level where he’s man of the match every week. Having a player of that calibre ahead of him to link with and create space for him is clearly something that makes a big difference for him, and Kiltie isn’t going to be here next season with the odds of someone half as good replacing him being slim.

I’d agree with offering him a new deal but not being too bothered if he rejects it because of our budget cuts, however there’s really no harm in making the lower offer because I don’t see many other clubs rushing to get him on the strength of the season overall.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I would like to keep the following (if possible):

Goalkeepers: Gaston and McCrorie

Defenders: Iredale, Buchanan (with the right partner), Strapp

Midfielders: Millar, McAllister, Tidser, Lyon

Forwards: Kiltie, Johnston (but only if we can get/keep him fit)

The rest I'm afraid are either very inconsistent or tend to hide when needed most.

Pretty much what i would go for as well.

Seeing as JJ is now almost definitely staying I'd like to see him use his connections at Rangers and get us Zak Rudden on loan for next season, although it's likely he may step up to a premiership club for a loan deal instead

here today, gone to hell

Pretty much what i would go for as well.

Seeing as JJ is now almost definitely staying I'd like to see him use his connections at Rangers and get us Zak Rudden on loan for next season, although it's likely he may step up to a premiership club for a loan deal instead

If we could get Rudden and McCrorrie for next season, that would be great.

On Telfer, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his recent improvement has happened at the same time as Kitlie hitting a level where he’s man of the match every week. Having a player of that calibre ahead of him to link with and create space for him is clearly something that makes a big difference for him, and Kiltie isn’t going to be here next season with the odds of someone half as good replacing him being slim.

I’d agree with offering him a new deal but not being too bothered if he rejects it because of our budget cuts, however there’s really no harm in making the lower offer because I don’t see many other clubs rushing to get him on the strength of the season overall.

Tidser coming into the team has made a big difference as well. Quality players help raise the levels of those playing around them. It can sometimes look like a whole team needs replaced, but adding quality in a small number of key positions (even just a couple) can make all the difference. 

The big issue for next is losing that quality. The worry is that we'll stuff the squad with players like Dykes. In that case we'll need players who at least have a level of general athleticism which allows them to compete to an acceptable level without that quality around them. Telfer hasn't shown that this season. If he really has been struggling with injuries, then there's a serious judgement call to make. Otherwise we shouldn't keep him. 

Archived