Which players would you keep - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Which players would you keep

Interested

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Activated the clause, ie played enough games.

Doesn't constitute signed or willing to sign.

I wasn't at the Q&A so I didn't hear exactly how it was phrased, but aren't those clauses automatic? Like if you play 25 games you automatically get an extended deal?

An extension clause that isn't automatic doesn't make much sense to me.

EOho8Pw.png

Such a bizarre clause to have at a club our size considering how small the squads are and that they're being offered to players who were always going to be important members of our first team squad and on decent wages.

The fact two of them have been absolute gubbins is only going to hinder us more going forward.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I wasn't at the Q&A so I didn't hear exactly how it was phrased, but aren't those clauses automatic? Like if you play 25 games you automatically get an extended deal?

An extension clause that isn't automatic doesn't make much sense to me.

Automatically entitled to an offer but not automatic it would be acceptable to the player or that you would accept it. Unlikely to be automatic continuation of contract giving the player no option to back out. 

McAlister, when the clause was first mentioned, talked about it in terms of being entitled to an offer of an extra year but also said they'd look at the details of that later. 

Ok, you would assume it would be written as 'automatically entitled to an extension on the same terms' rather than Morton being able to offer them a token £1 a week to meet the clause with no likelihood of it being accepted.

A lot of it also hinges on Morton's administrative ability which is well documented to be completely abysmal anyway.

Activated the clause, ie played enough games.

Doesn't constitute signed or willing to sign.[/quote

Suppose it’s how you read it

Indeed. and I read them explicitly list exactly who was under contract for next season in a separate paragraph which doesn't include the 3 with the clause. 

That's such a Morton clause. "Play a certain number of games and you might get a new contract!"

Wonder if some agent insisted on it or something? Utterly bizarre.

McAlister's quote when he 'activated' his (by playing the required games):

“I’ve played the games to activate another one-year-deal at the club, we’ll see how that goes long term.

I’ll be entitled to another year’s contract which will be good for my security going forward and we just need to see what the club come up with.”

McAlister's quote when he 'activated' his (by playing the required games):

“I’ve played the games to activate another one-year-deal at the club, we’ll see how that goes long term.

I’ll be entitled to another year’s contract which will be good for my security going forward and we just need to see what the club come up with.”

Any chance the 'see what the club comes up with' refers to the other players they might bring into the squad for next season? That might also make sense in the context of the article.

Suspect it was to caveat the inability to offer two year deals. Or the s*** wages.

In fairness, they might have all asked for 2 year deals but the club didn't want to be stuck with injured players (like Denny). It's not the worst idea - of course, it all depends on the actual quality of the players on these deals.

Yeah, maybe it's a same-or-better clause or something that they're now required to give.

Would think that's what it's supposed to be and assuming Morton set it up correctly.

Some security for the player in terms of a status quo offer, but not chaining them to it, preventing them look around for better or hoping they've deserved more than that.

Any contract system that enables Gregor Buchanan to continue stinking the place out until May 2020 needs to get in the sea. It's an actual incentive to just padlock the front gates and start again in the North Caledonian League from August. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived