The Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup 19/20 - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup 19/20

vikingTON

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duffy tinkered a bit with the team in this tournament. I never got the impression that he was particularly bothered about progressing. McKinnon clearly wanted out at the first opportunity. Our record looks really bad, but I'm not sure the managers involved would see it that way (they successfully extricated the club from the competition at the earliest opportunity each year).

That's a big issue with this cup. You can never be sure if your team is actually bothered about progressing, or your opponent for that matter. That makes it very difficult to get excited about it, which is a shame.

We go through this every year, but it's the only Cup we've got any realistic chance of winning. This is not a club that is anywhere near a lofty enough position to be turning it's nose up at any kind of final, we've won fuck all of note in close to a century. 

AWMSC

Yeah we clearly treat the competition with disdain, certainly what the current format deserves.

We should not be turning out noses up at a cup we have a realistic chance of winning but never have.

Bigger issue for me is if they are treating it that way, it is piss poor on the fans who are expected to turn up and pay full price for little effort.

Turning up and paying at Dumbarton last year to then discover that monstrosity of a lineup was shocking.

Leaving aside the reality that it is the only trophy we could win it is also arguably the best opportunity for an away day to somewhere new. If the club wants to treat the competition with disdain don't expect fans to turn up and pay full price.

With the exception of last year, have we ever actually treated the tournament with disdain, or has it actually not been more of a case that we’ve been absolutely shite and not deserved to progress?

With the exception of last year, have we ever actually treated the tournament with disdain, or has it actually not been more of a case that we’ve been absolutely shite and not deserved to progress?

Yeah,us simply being shite is how I remember those cup 'runs'.

Duffy tinkered. He dropped Quitongo, Russell and Lindsay for that awful game at Queen's Park, while giving McAleer and Strapp a rare start. It was more that level of changes that he would make. The following season against Livi was similar. We gave Strapp and Iredale a try before sending them out on loan.

It wasn't McKinnon level disdain, but there was always that feeling that it didn't matter very much.

Yeah we clearly treat the competition with disdain, certainly what the current format deserves.

We should not be turning out noses up at a cup we have a realistic chance of winning but never have.

Bigger issue for me is if they are treating it that way, it is piss poor on the fans who are expected to turn up and pay full price for little effort.

Turning up and paying at Dumbarton last year to then discover that monstrosity of a lineup was shocking.

You may have a point there, I’m probably guilty of judging our level with the Morton I was brought up with. The OF fans who accompanied me to the final thought they were watching a wee diddie team in a wee diddie cup final, but I did not. I felt that by supporting this tournament I would somehow be endorsing our diddiness.

• 5 weeks later...

The Famous now enter the competition in the third round after this evening's contests. The foreign teams are placed in different groups so as not to play each their national (and I suspect other foreign) counterparts, which at least has the benefit of increasing our chances of getting one of them. 

Four foreign pots:

The Failed Statelet - Ballymena United & Glenavon)
The Failed Principality - The New Saints & Connah’s Quay Nomads
Southern Ireland - Waterford & Bohemians
English National League - Solihull Moors & Wrexham

All the Scottish teams go into the same pot:
10 Championship clubs
Stenhousemuir
Kelty
Elgin
Cove 
Clyde
Stirling
Falkirk
Airdrie
Montrose
Formartine
Raith

Hearts U21
Sevco U21
Spoon-burners U21

The plum ties are Waterford, Bohemians or either of the two Bunfield teams in that order. Of the four gammon outfits Wrexham would be the only intriguing one: the rest are total cowps (worst of all being Solihull). From the Scottish side there are still a few good away days left: Formartine; Elgin or Montrose would all be good ties; the remainder would be largely AIDS though. 

Draw is scheduled for tomorrow at 12:30 on some live Youtube channel.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We are almost certain to get a really shite tie like Dumbarton at home.

Can't get excited about this competition anymore. The inclusion of u21 sides from the Premier League is ruining it. What a real shit idea that is.

*insert signature here*

We are almost certain to get a really shite tie like Dumbarton at home.

Can't get excited about this competition anymore. The inclusion of u21 sides from the Premier League is ruining it. What a real shit idea that is.

Impossible to get Dumbarton seen as they were knocked out tonight by one of those shit u21 sides from the Premier League.

Archived