Season Tickets - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Season Tickets

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said at the time that last season’s ticket prices were madness, it was always going to lead to reduced income over the season - incredible that Crawford Rae backed the idea.

The fans that were praising the club at the time (and there were plenty), obviously didn’t have much clue about economics/finance either.

Wishing Hoppy all the best for this season. He knows his stuff, and he’ll give it everything he has, but he’ll need to be a miracle worker to have us challenging.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Does anyone know regarding season book v MCT:

1/ Who controls the funds?

2/ What will they do with the funds?

They are two totally separate things. MCT is nothing to do with the club at the moment and even if it does buy shares then season tickets won't have anything to do with them.

Said at the time that last season’s ticket prices were madness, it was always going to lead to reduced income over the season - incredible that Crawford Rae backed the idea.

The fans that were praising the club at the time (and there were plenty), obviously didn’t have much clue about economics/finance either.

Wishing Hoppy all the best for this season. He knows his stuff, and he’ll give it everything he has, but he’ll need to be a miracle worker to have us challenging.

When tickets at this level represent horrendous value for money, even moreso when compared to other 'entertainment' activities, it is almost impossible to attract new customers and hard enough to cling on to the existing ones.

Any attempt to make it more attractive and affordable was rightfully commended.

Where the club failed was not in the introductory offer itself, but failing to build on that. The binned 3 year plan with accompanying radio silence, little to no additional marketing to the season ticket holders to encourage additional match day income to make up the shortfall and now no follow up to build on the acquired subscriber base.

All of that made the introductory offer end up a bad idea.

So are you buying a season ticket?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

So are you buying a season ticket?

He'll be buying two after he rips up the first one and flings on the pitch in a hissy fit when we don't have our full team together by the first Betfred Cup game. Or perhaps he's actually just a hypocrite who will wind his neck in now that his Peroni-swilling mate has slithered into the hotseat for a wee while. 

Tough call tbh.

No you didn't. Another golden nugget of utter shite being laid by our new resident fantasist (RIP Racist Ed).  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

For whatever the club want to I'd imagine.

The answer to your next question is, no idea but they probably would reduce their own player budget depending on what comes to them through MCT.

I’m thinking if fans like myself who normally buy season books, opt to join MCT instead, then the club could conceivably have more income from MCT than season books. If so I’m not sure the club would contribute anything to the MCT player budget.

They are two totally separate things. MCT is nothing to do with the club at the moment and even if it does buy shares then season tickets won't have anything to do with them.

Not this Supporters/Community Trust level of deliberate obfuscation again FFS. Of course MCT is 'something' to do with the club at the moment: its entire purpose as an organisation is to secure the future of GMFC and has been drafted in direct collaboration with Crawford Rae as club chairman.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Not this Supporters/Community Trust level of deliberate obfuscation again FFS. Of course MCT is 'something' to do with the club at the moment: its entire purpose as an organisation is to secure the future of GMFC and has been drafted in direct collaboration with Crawford Rae as club chairman.

I meant it's separate from the club. They are two completely different organisations.

Have you not got any of your own patter you can use?

You could always spend some more of your members money to buy a new book of patter.

They won't mind, won't know, don't care.

The irony of Ernie's puppet talking about someone not using their own patter.

[Tl;]

The more you think about this pricing structure, the more needlessly daft and alienating it seems. The club wants more money than last season to make up the shortfall, which is fine. To do this, they could have made £300 the starting season ticket price and played the guilt trip card. Or they could have encouraged fans to sign up to the MCT initiative and guilt tripped through that instead. The problem is that they're trying to have their cake and eat it at the same time.

To make the maths straightforward, let's say that the club had 1000 adult ST holders last season - so £195k guaranteed revenue. Obviously the real figures are more nuanced, this is simply an illustration of how daft the club's stance currently is. 

- If the club went for £300 season tickets and guilt-tripped everyone into signing up again, that would guarantee £300k in revenue - but that's not likely to happen. Indeed, if less than 65% of season ticket holders renew at that price hike - which without any sort of reward or nod to their loyalty is not out of the question - then the club stands to earn less guaranteed revenue than last season. Now they'd still turn over more money overall due to increased walk-up tickets on the day, but without creating a strong incentive to renew then it's not going to be a huge money-spinner. But crucially, take-up of these expensive season tickets will also be strongly and negatively correlated to buy-in for the MCT scheme: because both exist for the same purpose and come from the same limited amount of money in people's pockets. If only 65% of ST holders buy into that scheme then MCT only gets a guaranteed £78k from them over each of the first two years. 

- If the club instead set a ST price at £250 then it would stand to earn £250k if everyone signed up. Being less of an exorbitant price hike, renewals are likely to be far closer to 80 or 90% than at the currently proposed price (and the club would still get more revenue from increased walk-up sales). It would almost certainly generate substantially more revenue than last year's pricing structure. But with the ST at a still justifiable level compared to others in the division, uptake of the MCT scheme would almost certainly be much higher as well. If 90% of the season ticket holders buy into that, then MCT gets a guaranteed £108k per year. It could therefore get over 50% of its fundraising target from ST holders alone, even if they all chose only the minimum monthly pledge level.

Put the two figures together from the £250 option and the club gets more money than it would from 1000 ST holders paying £300 a pop and well over £100k a year more than it got last season. If MCT could then raise the other 50% of the fund target from non-season ticket holders, outside backers or increased pledge levels then the entire shortfall in revenue would be wiped out. '£250 for the football and another third for a stake in the club' should be the pitch here. I simply cannot see the club getting even close to that from browbeating people to stump up fully £420 each to prop up their chronic mismanagement. [/dr]

Is the whole “all money will go to support the manager and player recruitment” the new “bring a friend”?

That's my growing concern right now. The explanation could be simple enough: McKinnon has only been in place for barely a couple of weeks, and the fact that MCT shot its bolt in launching its own scheme before the end of the season has just caught the club completely off guard, though I'm not sure why that should happen given Crawford's role in the latter.

The more cynical interpretation is that the club is building up unrealistic season ticket and MCT pledge targets to fail: the club would still get more money of course, but not enough to fulfil GC's verbal pledges. And then the club can pass the blame to the fans for just not wanting it enough when they're fielding jobbers in the name of 'sustainability'. 

MCT can play the 'boost the first team budget' card and get away with it. When the club pitches season tickets to its customers though, it should be telling us about the squad that they are going to put on the pitch, as well as the aspirations and the targets that the club expects to be met. It should never be qualified with an 'only if you actually buy in, or else we'll be shite' guilt trip. 

Archived