David Wylie Gone... - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

David Wylie Gone...

delboy66

I'm convincing myself more and more that the budget can't be as bad as we think. Appointing a GK coach with vast experience in England and from a much bigger club than us on a 3 year deal? Bringing an assistant in who worked at Spurs and a new CEO who has experience working with a number of clubs across Scotland and did very well by all accounts.

If you add in all the work we are doing at Cappielow etc surely we can't go into the new season with all that behind us only to have a rubbish team on the park??

Sounds like we are doing a lot of good things and I just can't see us putting all these building blocks in place and then signing a team full of  Dylan Dykes wannabe's. 

And yet the CVs of our first team signings do frankly point to Dykes' level. It seems clear that we're putting the bulk of our investment into the coaching side (as well as work on the ground) and banking on Hopkin imposing a distinct style of play to get the most out of the obscure jobbers as well as the handful of proven performers that we've retained. Maybe we'll add a quality player or two as the outcome of the MCT scheme and season ticket uptakes becomes clear.

I think it's a better approach than trying to compete with every other Championship club for the same bunch of overpaid journeymen in the Scottish second/third tiers, as it at least offers the chance of getting a better return than budget alone can vouch for. It's definitely a risk though - it's just as well that there is a stack of permadiddies in the division this season (Alloa, Arbroath, Ayr) to break any fall. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its what was done for McKinnon and Taylor as well as giving them a car.

Not entirely unlikely

Who i) held much more important positions in the hierarchy than goalkeeping coach and ii) were employed at a time when Crawford was pledging top flight football within three years with GC ready to sign off limitless IOUs. That's not happening anymore. 

If we had appointed a coach from Aberdeen or anywhere else in Scotland then we really wouldn't be fretting about 'accommodation costs' right now; the border does not make a wage any less valuable.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Who i) held much more important positions in the hierarchy than goalkeeping coach and ii) were employed at a time when Crawford was pledging top flight football within three years with GC ready to sign off limitless IOUs. That's not happening anymore.

If we had appointed a coach from Aberdeen or anywhere else in Scotland then we really wouldn't be fretting about 'accommodation costs' right now; the border does not make a wage any less valuable.

Seems that he's quite heavily involved in recruitment too so it's not just as a coach.

Archived