The Rangers Circle The Wagons - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Rangers Circle The Wagons

Seige mentality from the Billy Boys at its finest.

They probably think everyone has forgotten about their restrained behaviour in Manchester by now.

"So, let everyone be clear on one thing – Rangers demands that players, staff and fans be protected from the violence and hatred of supporters of other clubs." 

I wonder if they typed that with a straight face?

HHkTu1F.jpg

I don't recall The Rangers' club officials, beetroot-faced 'former legends' (of a former club) or their seething mess of a fanbase taking a principled stance on 'protection for violence' after the league game at Ibrox. Fuck them then. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Hibs fans clearly in the wrong but rather than letting matters play out Rangers feel the need to release deliberately provocative statements only likely to fuel the 'hatred' of their club. Rangers fans were no angels on Saturday and offering them encouragement to take to the pitch to protect their players is an interesting development! As is often said in this cesspit - in the sea with the lot of them.

Much as the statement is laughable, and reeks of hypocrisy, at least the Rangers board are sticking up for their fans and employees when they feel wronged.

Of course, they're completely ignoring their own fans encroaching onto the park and the fighting on the pitch, which, even if provoked is indefensible, unless of course you're them.

There are other clubs, one in particular springs to mind, who, when their fans were faced with intimidation and assaulted chose to allow Rangers and Police Scotland to sweep things under the carpet either because they couldn't be bothered with the hassle or because they wanted to keep a good loan signing.

Commending their fans for their restraint was a belter though, but I had to laugh at them complaining that nobody from Hibs had got in touch to check that they were okay. Everyone involved in Hibs was still absolutely hammered at the time they posted that statement!

Can't help but think we missed a great opportunity to bury them once and for all four years ago.

Contrast that paranoid nonsense with Hibs' latest statement: http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6529

There's only one party in this scenario who are failing to condemn violence and are even actively defending it: it's Rangers.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

As I see it, the following issues are what clubs need to be punished for after that:

Hibs should be punished for:
1. Fans invading the pitch
2. Damage done to the pitch and goalposts
3. Fans fighting with Rangers fans
4. Fans attacking Rangers players

Rangers should be punished for:
1. Fans invading the pitch
2. Fans fighting with Hibs fans
3. Pyro let off throughout the game
4. Sectarian singing throughout the game

Hibs point four is obviously the most serious offence, and therefore Hibs should receive a more severe punishment. I reckon fines are as severe as it should get for both though, with any punishments such as games behind closed doors being suspended sentences if they're handed out at all.

For all that Hibs' punishment should be greater, it will be ridiculous if the current Daily Record narrative wins through and Rangers receive no footballing punishment whatsoever, but that's unlikely since the police are involved and there will be arrests of Rangers fans as well as Hibs fans. The SFA can't possibly adopt the Rangers line about provocation and self-defence in the face of that, and there's probably a fair argument that they should increase their fine for releasing official statements which endorse violence, single out individual journalists to drum up hatred towards them, and lie about the response of both the governing body and another member club.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The whole "provocation" thing is the biggest load of shite ever. In that case, maybe everyone in the Cowshed should have ran on the pitch to pick a ight with that tit Halliday when he got sent off at Cappielow.

Seriously though, if grown men are "provoked" by some clown gesturing in their general direction, they probably shouldn't be allowed out without a carer. It's a honking excuse for bawbaggery.

As for the Hibs fans who attacked the Rangers players, they should find themselves in a jail sentence and kept well away from all football stadiums for the rest of their lives.

AWMSC

Dunning had posted a similar post (if not the same post) on Facebook earlier and Id echo his comments. I mentioned that what Saturday does is reinforce certain issues in Scottish football; whether they are linked  or not, as part of the responses to Saturday- essentially all the washing is hung out for everyone to see.

I can see a debate about the concept of strict liability and Scottish football coming back again, now it was pretty much dumped back in January be interesting to see what the response is though I am guessing that Mike Mulraney's (Alloa) comment can be copied and pasted from January "I think there's no chance whatsoever of clubs agreeing to strict liability. That's pretty unanimous, I've come against strict liability in the past and will continue to do so. It is not the answer, it is the one system that is proven to fail repeatedly and I'm sure it would fail again". I see that the discussion around the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act is back again with a motion lodged against the previous motion to repeal it, the usual comments regarding pyrotechnics coming out again something about Policing/policing at football games with a wee nod to facial recognition technology.

It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this. 

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

Not content with not only failing to condemn violence by their own fans but explicitly justifying and endorsing it, Rangers are now indulging in institutionalised whataboutery.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14519776.Rangers_director_Robertson__Singing_The_Billy_Boys_was_better_than_invading_the_Hampden_pitch/

Yes, a vocal minority 99% of Stranger Dangers were singing a sectarian song, but but but what about the Hibs fans and the goading and Stuart Cosgrove and Tom English and BBC conspiracies WATP what about Celtic HEY LOOK OVER THERE NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!!

They really are beyond parody. They can't even condemn bigotry without whataboutery to say that someone else is worse.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived