Morton team of the decade - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton team of the decade

Hej

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes but respond by giving YOUR best eleven!

Caroux

Fitzpatrick

Page

Peciar

Taggart

Bachirou

Habai

Imrie

Hands

O'Brien

Cham

Honourable mentions to Campbell, Wallace and McLaughlin.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

CM is the one area we’ve had decent players in for most of the time.

The trio of Tidser Fred and Hardie were a joy to watch. Lindsay and Murdoch were excellent as a pair as well.

Ross Forbes was also superb in 2016/17. Wand of a left foot.

Does Jenkins count even though he was only here until mid 2011?

Jenkins made over 50 appearances for us this decade, which is more than Lindsay or Hardie, so why wouldn't he count?

I was planning to start a thread on this for best and worst, agreed that polls are a good idea to get a definitive list once a few people have posted XIs.

Here’s the list of everyone who played in a competitive game for us this decade. I’ve noted anyone who made less than 10 appearances who isn’t still at the club, as some players didn’t really play enough. Some positions are up for debate with guys like Michael Miller who moved about and I’ve generally just considered wingers as forwards unless they were obviously a more defensive minded wide player like Finlayson, but I’ve probably misremembered some.

Goalkeepers

Colin Stewart

Kevin Cuthbert

Dominic Cervi (7 appearances)

Alan Combe (10 apps)

Alistair Deans (1 app)

Matt McGinley (2 apps)

Derek Gaston

David Hutton (4 apps)

Nicolas Caraux

Grant Adam

Jamie McGowan (5 apps)

Andy McNeil

Bryn Halliwell (1 app)

Conor Brennan (5 apps)

Ryan Scully

Robby McCrorie

Sam Ramsbottom

Danny Rogers

Defenders

Stewart Greacen

David MacGregor

Ryan McGuffie

Kevin McKinlay

Alan Reid

Dominic Shimmin

David Van Zanten (only 1 app this decade)

Grant Evans

Eddie Malone (1 app as trialist)

Stuart McCaffrey

Nathan Shepherd (2 apps)

Marc Smyth

Ross Forsyth

Andy Graham

Creag Little (3 apps)

Kevin McCann

Thomas O’Ware

Willie Dyer

Jordan Halsman

Mark McLaughlin

Simon Mensing (1 app as trialist)

Jason Naismith (7 apps)

Craig Reid

Kevin Rutkiewicz

Scott Taggart

Jordan Cairnie (3 apps)

Darren Cole

Stuart Findlay

Marc Fitzpatrick

Michal Habai

Craig Knight (3 apps)

Jamie McCormack

Jonathan Page

Tomas Peciar

Mark Russell

Ben Sampayo (2 apps)

Jordan Allan (8 apps)

Sean Crighton

Lee Kilday

Ricki Lamie

Stefan Milojevic

Luca Gasparotto

Frank McKeown (1 app)

John Tennant (1 app)

Michael Doyle

Gavin Gunning

Jamie McDonagh

Lewis Strapp

Darren Barr (5 apps)

Darren Hynes (3 apps)

Jack Iredale

Gregor Buchanan

Rory McKeown

Reghan Tumilty

Kerr Waddell

Jack Baird

Peter Grant

Adam Livingstone

Brian McLean

Henk Van Schaik

Stephen Welsh

Midfielders

Kevin Finlayson

Allan Jenkins

Ryan Kane (only 1 app this decade)

Neil MacFarlane

Stevie Masterton

Jim McAlister

Carlo Monti

Erik Paartalu

Michael Tidser

Fouad Bachirou

Paddy Cregg (1 app as trialist)

Iain Flannigan

Graeme Holmes

David O’Brien

Darren Young

Alan Frizzell (1 app)

Darren McGeough

Conor Ramsay (1 app)

Derek Young

Martin Hardie

Ewan McLean (1 app)

Stephen Stirling

Tony Wallace

Kyle Wilkie

Reece Hands

Dougie Imrie

Joe McKee

Jake Nicholson (5 apps)

David Robertson

Robbie Crawford

Ross Forbes

Jamie McCluskey

Michael Miller

Cameron O’Neil (2 apps)

Conor Pepper

Dylan Stevenson (8 apps)

Jamie Lindsay

Caolan McAleer

Andy Murdoch

Ben Eardley (2 apps)

Gary Fraser (7 apps)

Gary Harkins

Ruairidh Langan (7 apps)

Conor McManus (8 apps)

Jack Purdue (2 apps)

Dylan Dykes (8 apps)

Reece Lyon

Lewis McGrattan (4 apps)

Keelan O’Connell (6 apps)

Charlie Telfer

Kyle Thomson

Cameron Blues

Luca Colville

Kyle Jacobs

Forwards

Iain Russell (only 4 apps this decade)

Donovan Simmonds

Brian Wake (only 2 apps this decade)

Peter Weatherson

David Witteveen

Sean Fitzharris

Brian Graham

Stewart Kean

Kevin Kelbie

Derek Lyle

Jonathan Toto (4 apps)

Archie Campbell

Paul Di Giacomo

Lewis Hawke (9 apps)

Andy Jackson

Joel Kasubandi (2 apps)

Peter MacDonald

Aiden Fulton

Liam Gormley (1 app)

David Graham

Declan McDaid (1 app)

Dylan McLaughlin (2 apps)

Colin McMenamin

Kabba-Modou Cham

Aidan Ferris (4 apps)

Barrie McKay

David McNeil

Nacho Novo (10 apps)

Garry O’Connor

Jack Smith (2 apps)

Rowan Vine

Andy Barrowman

Ross Caldwell

Stefan McCluskey

Declan McManus

Thomas Orr

Jon Scullion

Bobby Barr

Denny Johnstone

Paul McMullan

Jai Quitongo

Romario Sabajo (9 apps)

Alex Samuel

Ben Armour

Luke Donnelly (7 apps)

Aidan Nesbitt

Gary Oliver

Kudus Oyenuga

Lawrence Shankland

Scott Tiffoney

John Baird (8 apps)

Bob McHugh

Frank Ross

Robert Thomson

Connor Bell (3 apps)

Andrew Dallas

Greg Kiltie

Ross MacLean

Nicky Cadden

Alexander Easdale

Billy King

Robbie Muirhead

Kalvin Orsi

Cameron Salkeld

John Sutton

Spoilered to avoid clogging up the thread.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

__________________Gaston

Taggart*__Rutkiewicz__McLaughlin__Russell**

_______Jenkins___Hardie___Tidser

Forbes___________________________Imrie

_______________MacDonald

*12/13

**14-16

That'd be mine too, with a couple of changes. 

The first might not be a popular opinion, but I'd be inclided to have Greacen in beside McLaughlin. He's not necessarily the greatest defender we've ever had but over the piece he was a pretty decent servant for the club and we've been quite short on players who've had a bit of longevity, so I'd be tempted to include him for that reason although in purely football terms I'd opt for Gunning.

The other change I'd make would be O'Brien for Forbes.

The striking thing for me when looking through the list Dunning posted is that there's a lot of players who had brief periods of being pretty good but never managed to sustain it over a full season or so (to the point you'd call their time with us "unremarkable"). There's also not really many at all who have left for substantially bigger and better things, both of which say a lot about the way players are developed (or not) at the club.

AWMSC

No sensible formation can be found for the best due to the dearth of full backs and need to shoehorn an abundance of central players in, so 3-3-3-1 it is.

McCrorie

McCaffrey - Gunning - Lamie

Jenkins - Lindsay - Hardie

Imrie - Tidser - Kiltie

MacDonald

Murdoch, Bachirou and Forbes could all have made it too, the midfield is a tough one.

The worst is easier:

Ramsbottom

McCormack - Cole - Page - Fitzpatrick

Robertson - Blues - Wallace

Barrowman - Dallas - Simmonds

4-3-3 with three centre forwards is obviously silly but you could probably justify a 4-0-6 with three of O’Connor, Fitzharris, Di Giacomo and Oyenuga going in as well.

I’ve not included anyone who played less than 10 so the likes of Sabajo and Dykes miss out.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

__________________Gaston

Taggart*__Rutkiewicz__McLaughlin__Russell**

lol wut

We'd be best shutting the gates of Cappielow for good right now if that defence (other than McLaughlin) was the best that we could possibly muster over the past decade. Luckily that isn't the case though. 

The correct way to do this is to follow a fantasy football approach by leaving team shape out of it and going purely for the most effective eleven players on the pitch. We should also discard any hand-wringing about how many appearances they had, as this just gives plodding mediocrities a chance to get in through the back door. 

McCrorie

Sir Gavin Gunning McLaughlin Sir Richard Lamie

Lindsay Bachirou

Murdoch Hardie Tidser

Sir Douglas Imrie MacDonald 

You could make a decent case for swapping out McLaughlin with a similar standard of centre back from that period (and Grant is not far away from that in terms of quality either). I'm sure as hell not including any of our 17 million, utterly shite sand-dancer full backs or wingers in the team though. 

The presence of two King Snakes in the lineup is regrettable though they would of course be put firmly in their box by no fewer than three knights of the realm.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The worst is easier:

Ramsbottom

McCormack - Cole - Page - Fitzpatrick

Robertson - Blues - Wallace

Barrowman - Dallas - Simmonds

Stefan Milojevic was just as bad as Cole while playing at a far lower level and Dallas would barely make the top ten of our worst forwards. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Dallas was further out of his depth than any other centre forward on that list with the exceptions of Kelbie, who I forgot about when picking the team, and Toto, who I discounted due to only playing four times. I’d replace Barrowman with Kelbie rather than Dallas. He always looked out of his depth, never threatened to score or create anything, never managed a single competent performance.

There are other players who are more disliked for various reasons, but none actually worse than him. O’Connor for example is rightly a joke figure, but he did actually score once and set-up goals for others, mustering the occasional competent performance despite putting in 0/10 performances most of the time. Likewise, Kabba-Modou Cham managed one single game where he didn’t look completely lost for the full 90 minutes. Even David McNeil, who went straight to the Juniors after leaving, had enough about him to score a couple of times. Dallas didn’t have a single appearance where he wasn’t useless from start to finish.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Mark McLaughlin and Rutkwiewicz were past-it haddies. How anyone can put them over Lamie and Gunning, and even O'Ware, is laughable

You'd know all about haddies, having picked Mark Russell and Michael Doyle in your clowncar selection. 

Dallas was further out of his depth than any other centre forward on that list with the exceptions of Kelbie, who I forgot about when picking the team, and Toto, who I discounted due to only playing four times.

And here we are again, using number of games played to hastily shift the goalposts around to suit an agenda - when the objective case for any players who were actually contracted to and played for the club will do just fine instead.

Toto, Kelbie and Cham were all worse, Sabajo was also worse playing at a lower level and Luke Donnelly's sole contribution in his gubbins spell at the club was missing an absolute fucking sitter at Ibrox when that rabble were there for the taking. All of them are higher than Dallas on the list and Wallace is also there because we actually paid real money to sign him as a forward. In fact, Dallas wasn't even the worst forward to play for the club last season - step up, one 'Connor Bell' - and Orsi is also quite clearly an all-time dung pick from this season's crop as well. 

Dallas is down there with Kudus scrapping it out for merely a place in the top ten of haddy forwards to have played for the club this decade. Just let that sink in. 

Archived