The Govan bottle chuckers - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Govan bottle chuckers

Jamie_M

If one dies the other dies slowly of fan apathy.

Can’t come soon enough.

One has died, and the other has turned over consecutive record annual profits and regularly plays in front of an average crowd of over 55,000 supporters. Love them or loathe them, both Celtic and Rangers mk2 will be around for some considerable time to come.

*insert signature here*

Had they not been allowed in, the club which took that place would have suffered a backlash from their Neanderthal support for essentially killing them off for good. Hence why no other club applied.

Also, it was the SFL minus Stranraer, who proposed a vote to not let them in (no one backed it up).

Of course they didn't. All these club officials have families and personal lives to consider, and Rangers FC are a club with a large paramilitary following. This was also in the same era as several 'high profile' Celtic supporters received viable explosive devices in the post which was sent by Ayrshire bigots as a result of their faith and/or the club they choose to support.

Rangers would have been around in some form, whether by fair means or foul, even if the SFL didn't allow them membership. There would have been no shortage of possible 'donor' clubs out there, indeed having read some extracts of Craig Whytes autobiography, he said that he was approached by the directors of one SPL club at the time to discuss this possibility. Another was the possibility of Rangers joining the Northern Irish Leagues, where they would be have huge away crowds every second saturday. It makes for an interesting read.

Anyway, the one thing that really irks me is the SPL, who were essentially a breakaway league of clubs who no longer wanted to be part of the SFL, abandoned Rangers at the doorstep of the SFL to sort out the mess of one of their members. There is a lot of politics involved in Scottish football which the average Rangers (or Celtic) supporter is either oblivious or ignorant to, and the fact that the SFL and SPL were two separate bodies were one of these intricacies.

*insert signature here*

Of course they didn't. All these club officials have families and personal lives to consider, and Rangers FC are a club with a large paramilitary following. This was also in the same era as several 'high profile' Celtic supporters received viable explosive devices in the post which was sent by Ayrshire bigots as a result of their faith and/or the club they choose to support.

Rangers would have been around in some form, whether by fair means or foul, even if the SFL didn't allow them membership. There would have been no shortage of possible 'donor' clubs out there, indeed having read some extracts of Craig Whytes autobiography, he said that he was approached by the directors of one SPL club at the time to discuss this possibility. Another was the possibility of Rangers joining the Northern Irish Leagues, where they would be have huge away crowds every second saturday. It makes for an interesting read.

Anyway, the one thing that really irks me is the SPL, who were essentially a breakaway league of clubs who no longer wanted to be part of the SFL, abandoned Rangers at the doorstep of the SFL to sort out the mess of one of their members. There is a lot of politics involved in Scottish football which the average Rangers (or Celtic) supporter is either oblivious or ignorant to, and the fact that the SFL and SPL were two separate bodies were one of these intricacies.

Your last point - that was one of the more amusing parts.

The SPL chucked Rangers into the SFL, expecting to get them back in a year once they’d won the Championship. Then, under pressure from their fans, the SFL clubs made noises about letting them into the bottom tier and the SPL clubs could only look on in dismay but do nothing about this.

Ironic that the famously prophesied “Armageddon” never emerged and instead a shed load of teams in the top flight won trophies (Hibs winning the Scottish Cup was particularly memorable).

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

For those who like a laugh at Sevco’s expense, the opening post on this thread from P&B is well worth a read.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/249121-the-chronicles-of-the-banter-years-2012-∞/

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

The SPL chucked Rangers into the SFL, expecting to get them back in a year once they’d won the Championship. Then, under pressure from their fans, the SFL clubs made noises about letting them into the bottom tier and the SPL clubs could only look on in dismay but do nothing about this.

Ironic that the famously prophesied “Armageddon” never emerged and instead a shed load of teams in the top flight won trophies (Hibs winning the Scottish Cup was particularly memorable).

Hibs weren’t in the top flight when they won the cup.

I’m pretty sure Hearts and Hibs would just take their place.

Would this be the same Hearts and Hibs who have been in the second tier on multiple occasions - including within the last decade - and who get regularly overtaken by the likes of Kilmarnock, Saint Johnstone, Motherwell and Inverness in any given top flight campaign? The idea that they would dominate Scottish football in any alternative reality is laughable.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Would this be the same Hearts and Hibs who have been in the second tier on multiple occasions - including within the last decade - and who get regularly overtaken by the likes of Kilmarnock, Saint Johnstone, Motherwell and Inverness in any given top flight campaign? The idea that they would dominate Scottish football in any alternative reality is laughable.

I took the post as saying that if Rangers and Celtic weren’t around, the knuckle scrapers would use Hearts and Hibs as the vehicle to promote their politics/prejudices, and the impact on society, rather than football.

I might be wrong, but isn’t that what Sammy meant?

Hibs weren’t in the top flight when they won the cup.

Fair point.

Was quite amusing though.

I took the post as saying that if Rangers and Celtic weren’t around, the knuckle scrapers would use Hearts and Hibs as the vehicle to promote their politics/prejudices, and the impact on society, rather than football.

They are nowhere near big or influential enough to carry out that role. Without dominating the league the idea of their mini sectarian rivalry drawing in anyone outside of Edinburgh is nonsense.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Not exactly a scientific study, but I was talking to a guy in Kirkcaldy a while back about Rangers* and Celtic and their cuntishness and he was of the opinion that Hearts and Hibs are every bit as bad. Obviously not as pervasive as the other two, but it's a reasonable enough point that in the absence of the Glasgow pair, the east coast bumpkins would take it upon themselves to try to be the big boys.

AWMSC

I meant with the sectarianism, not football domination.

I actually think the OF disappearing would lead to greater competition in the Scottish game.

That’s what I meant.

The bit in bold, the SPL didn't "chuck Rangers into the SFL" as you stated, instead by voting to object and therefore refusing the transfer of ownership of the SPL "Share" between the receivers of Rangers Football Club PLC and the then new owners of Rangers Football Club Ltd (Charles Green & Co.), they effectively left the club without a League membership. Instead of the breakaway SPL containing and dealing with a problem relating to one of their own members, the SPL had effectively kicked out Rangers from the SPL which they were perfectly entitled to do, with Rangers having to go 'cap-in-hand' to the SFL to regain membership of a League which they broke away from around two decades earlier. Of course, comprehension of this situation is far beyond the average Harry Dunn, including many who were being paid handsomely as broadcasters at the time.

This is the reason why DDFR and other SFL chairmen at the time were canvassing the thoughts and opinions of the supporters, and why Rangers had to start at the bottom tier of the SFL set-up.

*insert signature here*

Not exactly a scientific study, but I was talking to a guy in Kirkcaldy a while back about Rangers* and Celtic and their cuntishness and he was of the opinion that Hearts and Hibs are every bit as bad. Obviously not as pervasive as the other two, but it's a reasonable enough point that in the absence of the Glasgow pair, the east coast bumpkins would take it upon themselves to try to be the big boys.

Hearts certainly seem to have some horrible problems of their own bith secterian and fascist.

On the subject of them and UEFA, it's interesting to see their differing reactions to Daniel Candeias' two admittedly dubious red cards in recent weeks.

The one in domestic competition is greeted with statements and accusations of bias against the official as they throw their weight about to the SFA knowing that they're the big boys that can do what they want, whilst with the red against Villareal, they've sat down, shut up and taken their medicine because they know that UEFA won't entertain that sort of behaviour.

It's almost as if they know their place in the world after all.

Archived