Championship 2018-19 Thread - Page 31 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2018-19 Thread

Not really, to be honest. "Looky looky sir, buy a watch" was/is their patter, doubt anybody takes anything more from it than that.

Not really. Their patter could be "Hey Honky, buy a watch" so to call him a 'Looky Looky' would be to stereotype that guy by lumping him in with others, when his sales technique is a bit more original than theirs. That is therefore racist.

*insert signature here*

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dundee Utd taken over.

Cue a January transfer spree?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46613268

I reckon they will finish either 1st or 2nd anyway, but a few top quality players in January would surely make them favourites for the title. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Surprised me to find out that you can get an 85% share in United for £1m.

Going by that, what does that make our value?

That price includes taking on a club with a £2m debt who are in a massive loss making position - losing £1.5m 2 seasons ago then £1m last season.

Paying off another management team and still being stuck in the Championship, their financial performance is unlikely to be any better in this year's accounts.

Price reflective of that position and gambling on getting them back up and soon.

With us, there's theoretically the same £2m debt to get Crawford his inheritance back but our losses are far less (actually in profit in the last accounts).

£2m it is then.

That price includes taking on a club with a £2m debt who are in a massive loss making position - losing £1.5m 2 seasons ago then £1m last season.

Paying off another management team and still being stuck in the Championship, their financial performance is unlikely to be any better in this year's accounts.

Price reflective of that position and gambling on getting them back up and soon.

With us, there's theoretically the same £2m debt to get Crawford his inheritance back but our losses are far less (actually in profit in the last accounts).

£2m it is then.

You're forgetting what you're actually getting for your money mate. 

Even with the debt, I'd expect Dundee United, the club and ground etc, to be worth far more than Morton.

No. Doesn't matter what I think though, I ain't buying.

But they only went for £1m. So your expectation of 'far more' than Morton is wrong.

Regardless of what was paid for United, I'd still expect them to be worth 'far more' than Morton.

Regardless of what was paid for United, I'd still expect them to be worth 'far more' than Morton.

In terms of earning potential, value of the stadium*, and of current playing assets, absolutely, but the issue presumably is that they are mounting up huge losses in this division and without promotion they can't turn that around, short of cutting their budget to the marrow and hoping the fans stay on-side. If this guy rocked up with cash to take on the debt and allow the current BoD to get off a ship they demonstrably don't know how to sail, it makes sense for them to take that attractive offer.

It's like when clubs change hands for 1p: obviously any club is worth more than that, but they may have existing liabilities and spiraling debts that make a lot of sense. Then there's clubs that are realistically worth buttons but sell for quite a lot: this happens a lot in South Africa, where clubs with no stadium and few players under contract will sell their league place for someone to move to another city and start again.

So there are a lot of factors here, and the worth and potential of the club are just two of them.

*again, though, this is contingent on a lot of things. The stadium itself may be quite nice, and certainly much better for modern football than Cappielow, but it's a football stadium across the street from another one in the backstreets of Dundee. The Emirates it ain't. So it depends entirely on what else they can do with it, or what kind of money it can make during the week. And that I have no idea about, but given its location I'm guessing they don't do a huge amount with it outside of matchday.

EOho8Pw.png

I’m pretty sure that Dundee United, like their neighbours along the road, don’t actually own their ground anymore. Think the same former director now has the land for both of them.

It’s also located in a gubbins shanty town even by Dundee’s low standards so isn’t worth as much as prime real estate on the Clyde Riviera.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

In terms of earning potential, value of the stadium*, and of current playing assets, absolutely, but the issue presumably is that they are mounting up huge losses in this division and without promotion they can't turn that around, short of cutting their budget to the marrow and hoping the fans stay on-side. If this guy rocked up with cash to take on the debt and allow the current BoD to get off a ship they demonstrably don't know how to sail, it makes sense for them to take that attractive offer.

It's like when clubs change hands for 1p: obviously any club is worth more than that, but they may have existing liabilities and spiraling debts that make a lot of sense. Then there's clubs that are realistically worth buttons but sell for quite a lot: this happens a lot in South Africa, where clubs with no stadium and few players under contract will sell their league place for someone to move to another city and start again.

So there are a lot of factors here, and the worth and potential of the club are just two of them.

*again, though, this is contingent on a lot of things. The stadium itself may be quite nice, and certainly much better for modern football than Cappielow, but it's a football stadium across the street from another one in the backstreets of Dundee. The Emirates it ain't. So it depends entirely on what else they can do with it, or what kind of money it can make during the week. And that I have no idea about, but given its location I'm guessing they don't do a huge amount with it outside of matchday.

I guess a football club is only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. 

Interesting that the directors who sold the new guy the shares are staying on as directors. Looks like it's going to be a big push for promotion as soon as. 

They’ve still got a good chance of going up, especially if they throw a bit of money at it next month. If they go up I wonder if they’ll be the last of the traditional big hitters down here for a while. Most seem to have their house in order.

I guess a football club is only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. 

Interesting that the directors who sold the new guy the shares are staying on as directors. Looks like it's going to be a big push for promotion as soon as. 

The chairman himself has stepped down off the board, think the rest of them are hanging around. And yes, they need promotion yesterday.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived