Morton vs Foreign Opposition - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

TRVMP

Was looking around on Google earlier for Morton gear I wasn't familiar with and came across a match programme for a game against FC Metz from 1964:

s-l1600.jpg

This was, of course, just a friendly (and a mid-season one at that.) Morton were in in the top flight that year, finishing 10th (for reference, Rangers were 5th, Celtic 8th, St. Mirren 15th, and the champions were Kilmarnock, beating Hearts in a heart-stopping goal average finish.) Metz were then - as now - a yo-yo club, but were in the midst of a five-year spell in Ligue 2.

Does anyone know what this game was all about, or why it took place when it did?

And what other friendlies against non-British sides have we had? They're far less common these days, since smaller teams can't afford to travel and bigger ones won't want to faff about with teams like Morton, but we must have had others over the years, not just Metz.

EOho8Pw.png

We played FC Eisenstadt in Austria just before our disastrous 87-88 campaign and lost 1-0. Albert Kidd made his first appearance for Morton and had a direct free kick chalked off.

Kidd also played in the next friendly, a 1-0 defeat at Cappielow by Arsenal (Charlie Nicholas played - his last visit to Scapa was with Celtic and saw Joe McLaughlin break his leg). Kidd probably played in the Shrewsbury game which followed (2-0) but emigrated to Australia before the season started.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I recall playing Leningrad Zenit at Cappielow, mid to late seventies, lost 3-2 I think, again a mid season friendly.

I reckon we need to arrange the reverse fixture for next pre-season.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Was looking around on Google earlier for Morton gear I wasn't familiar with and came across a match programme for a game against FC Metz from 1964:

s-l1600.jpg

This was, of course, just a friendly (and a mid-season one at that.) Morton were in in the top flight that year, finishing 10th (for reference, Rangers were 5th, Celtic 8th, St. Mirren 15th, and the champions were Kilmarnock, beating Hearts in a heart-stopping goal average finish.) Metz were then - as now - a yo-yo club, but were in the midst of a five-year spell in Ligue 2.

Does anyone know what this game was all about, or why it took place when it did?

And what other friendlies against non-British sides have we had? They're far less common these days, since smaller teams can't afford to travel and bigger ones won't want to faff about with teams like Morton, but we must have had others over the years, not just Metz.

Not really relevant to the game itself, but Metz is a beautiful place. Lot's of interesting history surrounds it. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

We actually won that game 3-2 against Zenit Leningrad, in 1972.

My sister in law found this badge on Ebay a few years ago and got it for my Christmas;

DU9PyTWW4AAg-uM.jpg

There was of course the 1-3 defeat by Unirea Urziceni in 2009 as well, before they drew Rangers in the Champions League.

A few years later, they died. And so did Unirea Urziceni.

here was of course the 1-3 defeat by Unirea Urziceni in 2009 as well, before they drew Rangers in the Champions League.

They almost signed Jim McAllister after that game. He knocked back an offer of a trial with them.

I think the reason we had a friendly against Metz was something to do with us signing Jorn Sorensen from them.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

They almost signed Jim McAllister after that game. He knocked back an offer of a trial with them.

Aye, I remember being pretty pissed off with him posing with a Rangers top in the lead up to their game as the Scottish press looked for any angle they possibly could for a story ahead of a Rangers European tie against relatively unknown opposition.

He had a trial. Played for them in their next friendly as a sub against Plymouth. Knocked back an offer to extend the trail back in Romania, get a feel for the place. Went on trial with Watford instead.

Press angle about the Rangers fan who could have went abroad and could have played against them was obvious but still horrible.

There was of course the 1-3 defeat by Unirea Urziceni in 2009 as well, before they drew Rangers in the Champions League.

A few years later, they died. And so did Unirea Urziceni.

They didn't merely 'draw' Rangers (RIP) in the Champions League: they came from behind to horse them 1-4 on that horrible midden on 'Sir Walter's' watch. Which was delicious:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xykg70

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There was also a game against Concordia Chianja, also from Romania in the pre-season of 2012 which we lost 0-1. I thought it was a closed doors game at Cappielow but a google search suggests it was played at Grangemouth Stadium.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/match/greenock-morton-v-concordia-chiajna/3pxpl9bqy88g7gremcjwvm2fp

It was, Concordia had one fan at the game but he was quite vocal.

There were some murmurings of a potential pre-season tour this coming pre-season. Portugal i think was the rumoured destination. 

Needless to say that the club would only announce said tour 0.5 seconds before the plane left, just like their tour of Austria a few years ago. #together

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There was also a game against Concordia Chianja, also from Romania in the pre-season of 2012 which we lost 0-1. I thought it was a closed doors game at Cappielow but a google search suggests it was played at Grangemouth Stadium.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/match/greenock-morton-v-concordia-chiajna/3pxpl9bqy88g7gremcjwvm2fp

We played rapid Bucharest in a closed doors game there the week before. Lost 5-2

Needless to say that the club would only announce said tour 0.5 seconds before the plane left, just like their tour of Austria a few years ago. #together

No doubt. They'd need to chop down the Amazon jungle for the amount of 'warning letters' they'd issue after a boozed up trip abroad. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Archived