General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 3 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

The CL is the pinnacle of football and has been for years, and anyone who doesn't like it is a ****ing weirdo. My favorite is when people say "the Champions league should be for champions :angry: " and "it was better when there were more crap teams in it :angry: ", as if anyone's on the edge of their seat for Legia Warsaw against Barcelona or Salzburg at Juventus. The format is ace - all the continent's best teams plus a fair shot for the smaller countries to get involved.

And granted, not every knockout stage has been as amazing as this year's quarters, but this is what it's all about, the world's best facing each other with sparks flying and amazing comebacks and shocks.

The bit in bold, it was much better entertainment back then. The Champions League at is peak was when Rangers were carrying the pseudo-nations hopes on its shoulders only to get their arses handed back to them on a platter every time, and the annual realisation that the foreign diddies they spent millions on were every bit as crap as Maurice Ross.

Some people need to get their priorities right, why would anyone want to see Messi and the like when they could watch the Scotsport crew fucking seething at their beloved Rangers getting turfed out by Levski Sofia.

Edited by capitanus
  • Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

Buffon :crying:

Buffon :lol: :lol:

Reading and seeing some of the fall-out from the game between Real Madrid and Juventus makes me think that it serves the bastards right. Juventus are a shower of cheating bastards and have been for generations, any footballing misfortune that comes their way is well deserved.

Also, Italy at Hampden in 2007. Need I say more....

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

I don't think he did anything wrong at Hampden in 2007. One or two of his teammates did, however.

Anyway, the Europa League was also absolutely brilliant today. I'm delighted to see Marseille back in the (relative) big-time.

UEFA competition really is the best football has to offer, and I think we have a good balance of it. Any more would cheapen it.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

Not buying it. Just one screenshot going about, one that's extremely easy to fake. This happens all the time - some Twitter account posts all possible permutations of the draw days in advance, then deletes all the incorrect games as soon as the draw's made.

EOho8Pw.png

I don't think he did anything wrong at Hampden in 2007. One or two of his teammates did, however.

He played for a team of cheating bastards. Both club and country. That's a good enough reason to take comfort in his recent misfortunes.

Anyway, the Europa League was also absolutely brilliant today. I'm delighted to see Marseille back in the (relative) big-time.

Speaking of cheating bastards...

Arsenal vs. Marseille for the final, and Wenger to bow out with one final honour.

UEFA competition really is the best football has to offer, and I think we have a good balance of it. Any more would cheapen it.

They should have a purge. Get rid of some countries altogether.

*insert signature here*

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure everyone's seen the Old Firm result. Well, I thought this was interesting:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/315493-never-winning-the-league-again/

The stereotype of deluded Rangers fans is that they all think they just need a solid raynjurz man and a "war chest" and then it'll be back to European nights and trophies.

Well, for some of them, the jig is well and truly up. They know the score, and it's not just 5-0, but a ceaseless parade of 5-0s heading long into the future.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

I'm sure everyone's seen the Old Firm result. Well, I thought this was interesting:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/315493-never-winning-the-league-again/

The stereotype of deluded Rangers fans is that they all think they just need a solid raynjurz man and a "war chest" and then it'll be back to European nights and trophies.

Well, for some of them, the jig is well and truly up. They know the score, and it's not just 5-0, but a ceaseless parade of 5-0s heading long into the future.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that one. Cheers. :thumbup2:

Edit to add:

Check out this Tweet from Coral Bookies yesterday:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Coral/status/990564353480028160

:lol:

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

Was talking to my wife about that earlier, in fact, the idea of a job where - aside from the money - there's no real upside. He's vanishingly unlikely to win a title, he's got a job for life where he is, expectations of some fans are still to challenge when it's unrealistic against Celtic's resources, it's a pressure-cooker environment even moreso than Merseyside... but he might just have that spark of foolhardy ambition to go for it.

EOho8Pw.png

Was talking to my wife about that earlier, in fact, the idea of a job where - aside from the money - there's no real upside. He's vanishingly unlikely to win a title, he's got a job for life where he is, expectations of some fans are still to challenge when it's unrealistic against Celtic's resources, it's a pressure-cooker environment even moreso than Merseyside... but he might just have that spark of foolhardy ambition to go for it.

To be honest, I doubt he'll take it. It will be a last minute cold feet job.

Rainjurs will probably end up with an unemployed fringe-EPL rentajobber like Pardew, McClaren, Pulis, Holloway, Mike Phelan etc. Which will be exactly what they need, to be fair.

*insert signature here*

Yep, a Pulis would whip them into shape and stop the humiliation, at least.

One guy on the thread I linked earlier had it right: Rangers could potentially win a title again, but when it happens it will be because they did everything right and Celtic did everything wrong. Rangers will need to build a flawless, hard-working squad over several windows while Celtic sell their top players and replace them with dross. Celtic will need a Deila instead of a Rodgers and Rangers will need a Smith instead of a Caixinha. Celtic will need to fall out of Europe at the first hurdle while Rangers will need a little Europa League run. Every little thing will need to go their way - they will need to play the percentages for 38 games. An absolute bastard like Pulis is a necessary component for this to work.

EOho8Pw.png

Was reading the other day about what their fans are describing as “Espanyolification”- basically their club’s turning into an Espanyol, Torino or 1860 Munich in relation to their local rivals now, such is their irrelevance.

Of course the downside of that is that it brings such joy to the Celtic support, but it is delightful nonetheless.

Not sure any of the clubs I mentioned have suffered quite the humiliation of liquidation, although I know 1860 suffered licensing issues after relegation last season and ended up in the amateur leagues.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think for a second that Rangers* fans actually believe that. All it’ll take is one good start to the season, or one Old Firm result, and they’ll be back to being as unbearable/hilarious as ever.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Was reading the other day about what their fans are describing as “Espanyolification”- basically their club’s turning into an Espanyol, Torino or 1860 Munich in relation to their local rivals now, such is their irrelevance.

Of course the downside of that is that it brings such joy to the Celtic support, but it is delightful nonetheless.

Not sure any of the clubs I mentioned have suffered quite the humiliation of liquidation, although I know 1860 suffered licensing issues after relegation last season and ended up in the amateur leagues.

1860 are enjoying the journey, top of the Regionalliga Bayern and about to come back up to the 3. Bundesliga at the first attempt. They also beat Bayern's reserves in the league earlier in the season, which is nice (for them.)

• Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

The CL is the pinnacle of football and has been for years, and anyone who doesn't like it is a ****ing weirdo. My favorite is when people say "the Champions league should be for champions :angry: " and "it was better when there were more crap teams in it :angry: ", as if anyone's on the edge of their seat for Legia Warsaw against Barcelona or Salzburg at Juventus. The format is ace - all the continent's best teams plus a fair shot for the smaller countries to get involved.

And granted, not every knockout stage has been as amazing as this year's quarters, but this is what it's all about, the world's best facing each other with sparks flying and amazing comebacks and shocks.

Once again the CL delivers, two incredible matches in the last couple of days. The final has a really tough act to follow. If it's even half as good as the last games it's going to be one of the all-time greats.

EOho8Pw.png