Pre Season Tours and Fixtures - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Pre Season Tours and Fixtures

capitanus

I can see the logic of doing it. If we're serious about playing a pressing game then the squad will need to get up to speed with that method as soon as possible; it's the one approach where the value of getting players to buy into the system and understand how to execute it probably overcomes the opportunity cost of funding a slightly higher budget instead. I can't see the current management team letting it turn into a jolly for walloper squad players to fanny around the whole time* either. 

* see Keenan, Dean under some comprehensively useless management

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see the logic of doing it. If we're serious about playing a pressing game then the squad will need to get up to speed with that method as soon as possible; it's the one approach where the value of getting players to buy into the system and understand how to execute it probably overcomes the opportunity cost of funding a slightly higher budget instead. I can't see the current management team letting it turn into a jolly for walloper squad players to fanny around the whole time* either.

Think you're pretty much spot on here and this can be extended to the desire to have a decent gym in Cappielow and Ice Baths for the players recovery.

The other benefit is that it might make the club more attractive to players if there's not a lot in it between wage offers from us and others. You might even find some take a lower wage to work with someone who's had a proven success in this league along with being treated like a proper athlete (as opposed to the likes of Duffy who preferred to run players into the ground at Parklea).

Certainly does seem some questionable expenditure during a period of cost cutting and the fact they shout the term 'reduced budget' at every opportunity.

- Trip to Portugal

- New dugouts

- Installing a gym

- Ice baths

Not quite Iron Man's white elephant turnstiles level of needless expenditure, but certainly a bit of a head scratcher.

The players signing on have been talking about being impressed by changes at the club, and the approach which is being taken. I don't think this side of things should be neglected.

For too long we've neglected looking after the stadium and facilities properly. Making investments which improve the infrastructure of the club is important. It's got to be balanced, but the alternative can be throwing all the money at the squad, it fails anyway, and there's nothing to show for it in the longer term. It's a tough job getting the balance right, but at least they seem to be trying.

It's a better investment than paying £80k on Chris Templeman. I know that's a bit of an outlier in terms of an example, but I hope you get my point.

The players signing on have been talking about being impressed by changes at the club, and the approach which is being taken. I don't think this side of things should be neglected.

For too long we've neglected looking after the stadium and facilities properly. Making investments which improve the infrastructure of the club is important. It's got to be balanced, but the alternative can be throwing all the money at the squad, it fails anyway, and there's nothing to show for it in the longer term. It's a tough job getting the balance right, but at least they seem to be trying.

It's a better investment than paying £80k on Chris Templeman. I know that's a bit of an outlier in terms of an example, but I hope you get my point.

At no point did I say any of the changes weren't a good idea. Of course there's positives to them and the players returning from last year's squad are obviously going to be happy with any upgrades put in place.

The raised eye brows would be less prominent though if they stopped ramming the phrase 'reduced budget' at us every time they get the chance. At the end of the day, fans care about the product on the park and the quality of the team over anything else.

If it's actually true then the trip to Portugal is probably sponsored or heavily subsidised, and in the twitter post about the dugout work they made the point of thanking the company who were carrying out the work, so there's every chance that this work was done in exchange for sponsorship or minimal payment.

I very much doubt at a time of costcutting where Golden Casket refuse to operate at a loss and are open to selling the club that they are splashing the cash on trips to Portugal for the squad.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

If it's actually true then the trip to Portugal is probably sponsored or heavily subsidised, and in the twitter post about the dugout work they made the point of thanking the company who were carrying out the work, so there's every chance that this work was done in exchange for sponsorship or minimal payment.

I very much doubt at a time of costcutting where Golden Casket refuse to operate at a loss and are open to selling the club that they are splashing the cash on trips to Portugal for the squad.

Wish I could afford a trip to Portugal!

Proper, thorough communication with the fans, as always, would stop the questions and frustrations from growing legs.

Proper, thorough communication with the fans, as always, would stop the questions and frustrations from growing legs.

This trip (that is only hearsay at the moment) hasn't been announced yet, so there's no need to clarify it because a parent of a young player told one of their friends.

The dugouts, even if it was paid at full cost is not something that needs clarified to fans either. They communicated with the fans that the work was being done which is all  that was needed. 

The amount of conspiracy theories and made up truths on this site would have them releasing statements every other day to clarify things. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

At no point did I say any of the changes weren't a good idea. Of course there's positives to them and the players returning from last year's squad are obviously going to be happy with any upgrades put in place.

The raised eye brows would be less prominent though if they stopped ramming the phrase 'reduced budget' at us every time they get the chance. At the end of the day, fans care about the product on the park and the quality of the team over anything else.

My point was only that, no matter the budget, you've always got to try to strike a balance. I'm in no position to know what anything is costing or to be able to judge how well they're striking that balance. I really hope we've not spent too much on a trip to Portugal, for example, but even on a restricted budget the club needs to invest in more than just the playing staff (and ice baths, dugouts with actual legroom, and gym facilities at Cappielow are things that will help get more out of our investments in players). There also seems to be a trade off in investing in Cappielow and saving on rent at Parklea. We need to learn to be a better run club. I don't know if these things will work out for us, but at least we're investing in some things for the longer term.

My point was only that, no matter the budget, you've always got to try to strike a balance. I'm in no position to know what anything is costing or to be able to judge how well they're striking that balance. I really hope we've not spent too much on a trip to Portugal, for example, but even on a restricted budget the club needs to invest in more than just the playing staff (and ice baths, dugouts with actual legroom, and gym facilities at Cappielow are things that will help get more out of our investments in players). There also seems to be a trade off in investing in Cappielow and saving on rent at Parklea. We need to learn to be a better run club. I don't know if these things will work out for us, but at least we're investing in some things for the longer term.

Are we saving on rent at Parklea? We will not be training at Cappielow. We will still be training at Parklea.

The amount of conspiracy theories and made up truths on this site would have them releasing statements every other day to clarify things.

Which is the absurd opposite extreme, but preferable to their current communications 'strategy'.

Are we saving on rent at Parklea? We will not be training at Cappielow. We will still be training at Parklea.

I heard we will be training twice at Cappielow and twice at Parklea so saving on some rent costs and the pitch won't take too much of hammering, although not sure Mark would agree!!

My impression was that we would be making savings by moving certain aspects of training to Cappielow, and that was why we were making improvements there.

I don't know the specifics though. I certainly can't say anything for sure.

Im sure we're probably paying a fair deal to IL for the use of gym facilities ie the waterfront on top of pitch rental

This bit is more relevant.

Only quotes from the club have been that the use of Cappielow is as a base to help club identity for the team. Things like meals there, video analysis and recovery rather than training.

There's no gym at Parklea so that aspect will move to Cappielow rather than the Waterfront.

This bit is more relevant.

Only quotes from the club have been that the use of Cappielow is as a base to help club identity for the team. Things like meals there, video analysis and recovery rather than training.

There's no gym at Parklea so that aspect will move to Cappielow rather than the Waterfront.

I had no idea what the exact range of facilities they had been using at Parklea or elsewhere was, just that they seemed to be wanting to save on rental costs by moving certain aspects of training to Cappielow (my assumption being on what you state above). Video analysis and recovery, for example, are aspects of training. I also assumed, and hoped, that we wouldn't be training on the pitch at Cappielow all week. The basic point being that we're saving on rental costs and investing in facilities at Cappielow.

Archived