The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

Russell was going past players with ease when he was at full back and had another natural wide player in front of him drawing the attention of the opposition full back, allowing him to overlap and/or go at the full back when he's already at full speed having run from deep.

He's always been poor in midfield and his current malaise can be traced back to when he was moved away from full back in the first place: moving him further forward again is going to solve nothing.

Iredale is obviously the first choice left back now, but the only way we'll see Russell rediscover his form is treating him as a left back again and hoping he rebuilds his confidence with time over a pre-season where he knows what's expected of him. Shunting him into a midfield role that he's clearly incapable of performing in on the basis of the primary school level logic that 'player who can skin other players = attacker' is only going to destroy his confidence all over again.

I agree that Iredale looks like a much better option at left back.  However releasing Russell, clearly a talented player, seems like a bad move.  At worst, Russell could cover at left back but I reckon he's got more to offer than just being a back up player.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My logic, if you want to call it that, and indeed what I said was that it was in a forward role that Russell was the 'star' in the development squad and that given his recent very patchy form and the fact that we have good cover at left back it might be worth trying him there again.

The development squad play in an absolute joke league and so performances at that level have no relevance to the second tier at all. Which is why a succession of hotshot players like Thomas Orr and Jon 'lad' Scullion have predictably slid out to the absolute pits of the Scottish game. 

Russell has to earn a place based on his performances now and not some rose-tinted memory of the past. As it stands, he's a competent option at left-back, won't be a high earner and has plenty of years to improve yet: we should offer a deal then, but him choosing to go elsewhere wouldn't be a huge blow. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We definitely need to renew up front, without question. We need a reliable goal scorer to lead the line. Oliver will come good as a second striker with a quality No.9 to play behind.

The wide midfield roles need filled and for those players to be played there consistently, rather than sacrificed to shoehorn three central midfielders in to the XI. Would be happy to have Ross on loan again if we can't sign someone more proven.

Harkins and Murdoch are my picks for the central midfield roles as part of a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. If we are to have a 4-3-3 then it would need to be Murdoch, Harkins and a Jamie Lindsay-esque signing. Tidser, for me, really hasn't been on it all season. He obviously has the 'footballing brain' but he has offered very little too often besides sideways and backwards passes, been caught for pace and shown chronic one-footedness - this may in large part be due to being played out of position on the right at times, but the same traits have shown up when he's been central also.

I'd keep Doyle. He's a good guy, obviously the source of much squad morale, and a tremendously hard working player. What he really needs is someone to strike up a regular partnership with on the right again. When Forbes was going through his purple patch of goal scoring form he and Doyle had a good understanding and complimented one another well - Doyle providing the industry and running, Forbes the attacking threat. Taking responsibility for the latter away from Doyle leaves him to focus on his strengths. A good RM signing could completely transform the team. Having said all that, we definitely need a second option at RB - we can't expect Doyle to play every game for another season.

As for the long-term injured guys, I hope Kilday can come back fit and ready to go, though not at the expense of Lamie or O'Ware's places in the squad.

Quitongo? We'll need to see what he wants to do. I really think he needs an experienced and reliable striker to shadow and learn from, to teach him how to make the most of what he's got (pace and strength) and improve where he's currently lacking (touch, consistency in finishing). Someone like Kenny Miller?

Ross Forbes I'm unsure on. He has shown before that he can offer a goal scoring threat and can deliver a good ball, but he has also had numerous games where these qualities have sadly abandoned him, without even work rate or pace to fall back on. He may be best served moving on and trying to reshape himself as a deep lying playmaker type in the way Harkins has.

I'd keep Doyle. He's a good guy, obviously the source of much squad morale, and a tremendously hard working player. What he really needs is someone to strike up a regular partnership with on the right again. When Forbes was going through his purple patch of goal scoring form he and Doyle had a good understanding and complimented one another well - Doyle providing the industry and running, Forbes the attacking threat. Taking responsibility for the latter away from Doyle leaves him to focus on his strengths. A good RM signing could completely transform the team. Having said all that, we definitely need a second option at RB - we can't expect Doyle to play every game for another season.

Sense at last.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I’d keep Russell. There’s a player in there and we’ve seen him have some excellent game at this level - he just needs consistency.

Anyone wanting rid of Tidser needs their head examined.

I’d keep Russell. There’s a player in there and we’ve seen him have some excellent game at this level - he just needs consistency.

Anyone wanting rid of Tidser needs their head examined.

I agree. Without Tidser we've won 2, drew 5, and lost 4 in the league. I don't want to put too much of an emphasis on that stat, but I think it's clear that he has an important influence on the team. In a team which resorts to long balls too often, he calms things down and tries to get us to pass the ball more. Good player, and not one of our problems. 

We've been very light up front and Duffy has changed the line-up and shape of the team too often, but I don't think there are many problems outside of that.

I agree. Without Tidser we've won 2, drew 5, and lost 4 in the league. I don't want to put too much of an emphasis on that stat, but I think it's clear that he has an important influence on the team. In a team which resorts to long balls too often, he calms things down and tries to get us to pass the ball more. Good player, and not one of our problems.

We've been very light up front and Duffy has changed the line-up and shape of the team too often, but I don't think there are many problems outside of that.

Exactly, the games where Tidser was absent this season turned up some horrendous hoofball. Just because he's not booting balls over the top doesn't mean he isn't a good centre mid.

Our problem in midfield this season has been a complete lack of balance. It seems like ages ago now but there was a point where Duffy was trying to shoehorn Tidser, Harkins, Thomson and Murdoch into the same midfield.

Our problem this season aswell as duffy changing the team every week has been lack of width and a goalscorer wonder if Nesbitt would come back(wages might be an issue) I would also be looking for an experienced striker might be controversial but I would go for big john Sutton somebody who came score goals,dangerous in the air and can hold the ball up

Potentially a controversial shout, but I'd be up for signing David Goodwillie from Clyde this summer. He's banged in 25 goals for a mid-table league 2 side, and as long as he's got his head on shoulders, is clearly too good for that level.

Bit rapey.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Potentially a controversial shout, but I'd be up for signing David Goodwillie from Clyde this summer. He's banged in 25 goals for a mid-table league 2 side, and as long as he's got his head on his shoulders, is clearly too good for that level.

No beasts at Morton.

Our problem this season aswell as duffy changing the team every week has been lack of width and a goalscorer wonder if Nesbitt would come back(wages might be an issue) I would also be looking for an experienced striker might be controversial but I would go for big john Sutton somebody who came score goals,dangerous in the air and can hold the ball up

Sutton is done.

Quitongo? We'll need to see what he wants to do. I really think he needs an experienced and reliable striker to shadow and learn from, to teach him how to make the most of what he's got (pace and strength) and improve where he's currently lacking (touch, consistency in finishing). Someone like Kenny Miller?

That's not the worst idea I've ever heard.  I doubt we could afford him but he would be of great value to us with his vast experience, if he still has the legs.  Maybe swap him with McHugh going to Ibrox (I wish).  Do it, Duffy...

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I see Morton community have been made to pay 8k compensation to a local guy for something to do with the state of the toilets at cappielow. Perhaps fell.

General point: the general state of the facilities in the main stand is poor. Toilet roll holders hanging off walls etc last time I was in. Broken locks etc.

Quite shoddy. Wouldn't take much to sort the broken things

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I see Morton community have been made to pay 8k compensation to a local guy for something to do with the state of the toilets at cappielow. Perhaps fell.

General point: the general state of the facilities in the main stand is poor. Toilet roll holders hanging off walls etc last time I was in. Broken locks etc.

What have any of the facilities at Cappielow got to do with the CT?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Presumably the grand a day to keep Cappielow open doesn’t stretch to bog roll holders.

He tripped on the step leading into the ladies toilet. What he was doing going into the ladies toilet is anyone’s guess.

St Mirren fan on P&B suggesting O’Ware might be signing for them.

You took what an idiot posted on P&B at face value - ran with it - and posted it on here?

In terms of looking for bites - looks like he caught a fucking big one.

Archived