The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

He's a forward, he averages 7 goals a season over his career - is that really good enough?? Yes, he's a decent footballer, but his goals return, and general attacking threat in games, is poor.

Of the forwards I'd only keep Quitongo and Tiffoney... neither of whom are very good, both lack a decent first touch or footballing brain, but they're both young and quick, and can potentially improve. Tiffoney shouldn't have been starting games this season... not ready for it, not his fault he was thrown in.

So your logic for letting him go is for having a poor goalscoring record?

U do know both Jai and Tiff have worse goal scoring records than Oliver, yet you are quite happy to keep them?

Oliver has scored 22 in 116 career league apps (that's 1 in every 5.5 games)

Quitongo has 5 in 35 (1 in 7)

Tiff has 3 in 41 (1 in 13.5)

(Granted Tiff is more of a winger than a forward, per say)

Is 1 in 5.5 games good enough? Probably not, he needs to improve in this dept. But it's not necessarily his goals that have been keeping him in the team. And it's not the definitive factor in determining whether he should be awarded a new contract or not.

Let's not forget Gary is still only 22 aswell. I'd say that's relatively young. He's nowhere near his "peak" years anyway, which means he still has time to improve his overall game.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't be looking to change much over the summer. The most frustrating thing for me is that the squad is decent but Duffy hasn't been making the most of that.

In the not too distant past we seen full revamps every summer which was no good - the consistency from season to season should be a benefit with a fairly young team like ours. Again though, Duffy seems determined not to capitalise it this or the squad we have.

Wouldn't be looking to change much over the summer. The most frustrating thing for me is that the squad is decent but Duffy hasn't been making the most of that.

In the not too distant past we seen full revamps every summer which was no good - the consistency from season to season should be a benefit with a fairly young team like ours. Again though, Duffy seems determined not to capitalise it this or the squad we have.

Pretty much this really. We're not sliding down the league because the players aren't good enough. The run in January-February when Duffy found a good left side of the park in Iredale and Ross patched up a weak spot in the squad and sent us on a run playing a fairly threatening 4-4-2 and it worked. It showed we had the ability in the team to kick on for the rest of the season.

Somewhat inexplicably Duffy stopped playing that team in the last 2 months and results have badly suffered for it. We haven't troubled a full time side since Inverness away and you're right the word is frustrating. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I've been saying it all season long, we are a couple of players away from a very, very competitive first eleven. Add that and a soupcon of depth and we could have been contenders.

The stage is set for DU and Falkirk recovering over the summer - there's every chance DU will be like Dunfermline after the season we came up, where they got their wilderness season out of the way and strolled it. Whoever comes down could potentially be a threat.

This was a year we could have made a proper go of it, and say what you will about the board's lack of ambition but for me Duffy is the one who really screwed the pooch.

I think next season will be tougher and we blew a big chance this time around.

EOho8Pw.png

So your logic for letting him go is for having a poor goalscoring record?

U do know both Jai and Tiff have worse goal scoring records than Oliver, yet you are quite happy to keep them?

Oliver has scored 22 in 116 career league apps (that's 1 in every 5.5 games)

Quitongo has 5 in 35 (1 in 7)

Tiff has 3 in 41 (1 in 13.5)

(Granted Tiff is more of a winger than a forward, per say)

Is 1 in 5.5 games good enough? Probably not, he needs to improve in this dept. But it's not necessarily his goals that have been keeping him in the team. And it's not the definitive factor in determining whether he should be awarded a new contract or not.

Let's not forget Gary is still only 22 aswell. I'd say that's relatively young. He's nowhere near his "peak" years anyway, which means he still has time to improve his overall game.

Yes, purely based on age and pace, I'd give Tiffoney and Quitongo another year. I wouldn't be bothered if either left, but worth another season to see if they can improve. Being generous giving Tiffoney another year, but he is young...

Oliver is technically a better footballer than both, but he's not a player that's going to get Morton beyond the absolute mediocre level that they are right now. He doesn't have the physical attributes to bother defences (small, not very quick, not strong), most of his good work is done 40 yards away from goal. If we're still starting the likes of Oliver next season, well... it'll be another season like this one.

Should add, he's better than than a few of our other forwards, but hopefully there is no doubt that they are leaving.  I'd like to see us keep Gaston, O'Ware,Tidser, Murdoch and Harkins... the rest I'm not fussed about either way.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

We don't have a single good forward... so that would be a start. I like both Tidser and Harkins, but they really shouldn't be playing in the same team, lacked pace/athleticism in midfield all season, we need two mobile midfielders to help Murdoch. 

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Yes, purely based on age and pace, I'd give Tiffoney and Quitongo another year. I wouldn't be bothered if either left, but worth another season to see if they can improve. Being generous giving Tiffoney another year, but he is young...

Oliver is technically a better footballer than both, but he's not a player that's going to get Morton beyond the absolute mediocre level that they are right now. He doesn't have the physical attributes to bother defences (small, not very quick, not strong), most of his good work is done 40 yards away from goal. If we're still starting the likes of Oliver next season, well... it'll be another season like this one.

Should add, he's better than than a few of our other forwards, but hopefully there is no doubt that they are leaving.  I'd like to see us keep Gaston, O'Ware,Tidser, Murdoch and Harkins... the rest I'm not fussed about either way.

We don't have a single good forward... so that would be a start. I like both Tidser and Harkins, but they really shouldn't be playing in the same team, lacked pace/athleticism in midfield all season, we need two mobile midfielders to help Murdoch.

Am I reading this correctly? 1am on a Sunday night and you're spouting jealously about how Gary Oliver is better than you? Go to bed you complete fucking mess.

EOho8Pw.png

Most of the squad I’d keep. A few need replaced.

A competent manager would be able to get better out of them.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

He's a forward, he averages 7 goals a season over his career - is that really good enough?? Yes, he's a decent footballer, but his goals return, and general attacking threat in games, is poor.

Of the forwards I'd only keep Quitongo and Tiffoney... neither of whom are very good, both lack a decent first touch or footballing brain, but they're both young and quick, and can potentially improve. Tiffoney shouldn't have been starting games this season... not ready for it, not his fault he was thrown in.

You'd keep tiffoney and let Oliver leave? This must be another one of your brilliant fishing trips.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I wouldn't change much. A problem is, though, that two of the players I would let go are McHugh and Thomson. Doyle and Luca would be the other two. We'll need to wait on the fitness of Kilday and Forbes for next season, but I'd like to see the rest retained.

This means that, the squad bring fully fit, we would only need a right back for a pretty decent starting 11. This would give us something really positive to build on (which will be meaningless if Duffy continues to mess us about).

I wouldn't change much. A problem is, though, that two of the players I would let go are McHugh and Thomson. Doyle and Luca would be the other two. We'll need to wait on the fitness of Kilday and Forbes for next season, but I'd like to see the rest retained.

This means that, the squad bring fully fit, we would only need a right back for a pretty decent starting 11. This would give us something really positive to build on (which will be meaningless if Duffy continues to mess us about).

So who are we relying on to get goals? The Doyle thing does my nut in. We all know he's woeful as an attacking outlet but defensively he's perfectly adequate; at least as competition. Ditto Mark Russell and talk of binning him is ridiculous.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

So who are we relying on to get goals? The Doyle thing does my nut in. We all know he's woeful as an attacking outlet but defensively he's perfectly adequate; at least as competition. Ditto Mark Russell and talk of binning him is ridiculous.

Well, he did say he would get rid of McHugh and Thompson so you would assume it is to bring in competent replacements who can score goals.

Does it really matter who we retain and who we let go if Duffy remains as manager? Our squad was more than adequate to make the play-offs this season until Duffy decided to change a winning line-up before the Celtic game. The constant tinkering including changing formation and playing players out of position were the main reasons we are a mid-table mess. The Raes may be culpable in terms of the big picture but only one man, Duffy, responsible for another end of season shambles.

It's telling when you see just how many players from the squad most people would be happy to keep. Consensus seems to be that we have the makings of a decent squad who, with a couple of decent additions, should have been challenging. This points the finger squarely at Duffy and his mismanagement for which there can be no defence.

He was allowed to strengthen in the last window. We brought in 5 players. You can't say he wasn't given the chance to make a right go of it. It worked, particularly with the Frank Ross signing. It added balance to the team, we went on a great run and then Duffy lost his ****ing mind.

To go from THIS:

2dvn7f9.jpg

dvocns.jpg

Undefeated in 7, including 6 wins, from the moment we brought Frank Ross into the team.

Duffy then fields a weakened team in probably our biggest game of the season and unsurprisingly we lost. Most of us thought he was just resting players, prioritising the Celtic game as that's the game he would have come under more scrutiny from his pals in the media. Little did we know, it was actually the start of a complete meltdown from an idiot of a manager who does not have a ****ing clue what he is doing.

Frank Ross bombed out, inexcusable lineups and formations, and we proceed to only win 2 of the next 10 (it'll be 12 by the season't end). The 'business' end of the season, the games that matter, when the other teams vying for the playoffs are all putting everything in to try to achieve their 'target' and going on runs that give them the best chance of meeting that target.

Us? We flatline, with an idiot at the helm, just as we did last season and our season ends in unmitigated failure.

But it's ok. Duffy hasn't failed. How can you fail when you don't set a target? He hasn't 'missed out on the playoffs' The only objective was to 'see how high we can go. Turns out, that was 6th (possibly adjusted to 7th in 2 weeks time). Target achieved, a big pat on the back all round. Moron.

The players aren't entirely blameless. While they have been mismanaged, some of them (particularly those that have now been part of 2 capitulations) need to take a long hard look at themselves for the part they've played in our failures.

Like Hamcam and others have said, it doesn't matter who we retain if we still have that imbecile in charge. A competent manager would have taken this squad and got them over the line securing a playoff place - possibly even managing 2nd. A good manager might have even got them to challenge St Mirren. Our buffoon in the grey suit managed to effectively neutralise any ability the squad has and it wouldn't matter if we went and signed the entire Barcelona first team for next season, he'd still have us producing a false dawn before stinking out the rest of the season.

Jim out. No other option is acceptable. *   The new manager can then decide who stays and who goes.

* Won't happen.

Therefore, the good news is, I won't have to worry about trying to negotiate the Interstadia website to renew my season ticket nor will I have to consider whether or not to buy next season's stinking new home top.

The role that we haven't seen Russell in, and the role in which he might thrive is as a front wide player.

It was in that role that he was outstanding as a development squad player.

He can go past opponents with ease and if relieved of defensive duties other than tracking back could thrive.

Far too good a player to release but we need to see the best of him and that may be in an out and out attacking role.

Been saying something like this for a while.  Russell is at his best when going forward where he ghosts past opponents.  Couple of seasons ago he was great at that.  As a defender he is a bomb scare - too many mistakes or giving the ball away cheaply.  Maybe controversial, but I think he's in the wrong position.  For a while on Saturday he looked fairly decent in a sort of left/centre midfield role.  Logical really - Duffy plays players out of position, so why might it not be the case that he's been playing Russell out of position for the last few seasons?  I used to think he was the successor to Jim Holmes, but he's not.  Discuss.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I actually deleted a line about keeping Doyle as competition if we could work that into the budget. But I was juggling it with whether Kilday would be fit enough or not and how many defenders we might need and it was all getting a bit complicated. We need a new first choice right back though.

A lack of goals is the biggest issue, and Jai (if fit) with Oliver is a good pairing imo. Thomson and McHugh haven't been good enough to provide proper competition or cover - as Jamie pointed out, I'd hope to replace them. Getting a winger like Ross in and actually playing him will be important as well - maybe another loan player again. I'm also not counting Forbes out. If he's fully fit he'll help us get goals.

Russell was going past players with ease when he was at full back and had another natural wide player in front of him drawing the attention of the opposition full back, allowing him to overlap and/or go at the full back when he's already at full speed having run from deep.

He's always been poor in midfield and his current malaise can be traced back to when he was moved away from full back in the first place: moving him further forward again is going to solve nothing.

Iredale is obviously the first choice left back now, but the only way we'll see Russell rediscover his form is treating him as a left back again and hoping he rebuilds his confidence with time over a pre-season where he knows what's expected of him. Shunting him into a midfield role that he's clearly incapable of performing in on the basis of the primary school level logic that 'player who can skin other players = attacker' is only going to destroy his confidence all over again.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

My logic, if you want to call it that, and indeed what I said was that it was in a forward role that Russell was the 'star' in the development squad and that given his recent very patchy form and the fact that we have good cover at left back it might be worth trying him there again.

At the moment it is almost as if he gets into the final third and thinks he shouldn't be there and doesn't know what to do. He is a very talented player and I think it is worth trying him up front again to see how he does.

Archived