The Last Match You Went To? - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Last Match You Went To?

http://www.greenockmorton.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25123&page=34

Just noticed this thread has been archived. Shame that, it was one of the better long-term threads on this messageboard. Anyway, i'll restart another one.

Hertha Berlin 1 Hoffenheim 3 31/3/17 at Olympiastadion, Berlin.

4th vs. 5th in Bundesliga, with the winner overtaking Borussia Dortmund to go third. The first half Hertha started well and seemed to be good going forward, albeit a bit ropey in defence. Salomon Kalou was their best player in this half, and his cross in the 32nd minute met the Right-back Peter Pekarik who scored with a shot deflected off a Hoffenheim defender. Five minutes later Hertha conceded a penalty as a result of a hand-ball at the edge of the box, which was scored by Andrej Kamaric. The second half Hoffenheim were like a totally different team, attacking non stop with three great chances hitting the post 65th and 67th minutes. The same player who conceded the Hertha Penalty got sent off for a reckless challenge similar to Oyenuga's the other evening, then Nicolas Sules scored Hoffenheim's second goal which was an absolute belter, a rocket from around 30 yards out. Hertha never recovered after that, with a third coming for Hoffenheim from a cross to Kamarac at the back post in the 86th minute.

Overall, a very decent game. I've been wanting to see a game at the Olympic Stadium for years now, having been on the stadium tour a few years back. It is the one ground which I'm awestruck with - the architecture, the history, the build quality - that is one stadium I reckon will still be here for centuries to come. I managed to get a €50 ticket for only €25 from a ticket reseller outside the ground, and I almost had a full section to the stadium to myself. plus €4.20 per beer; €3.30 for a giant Rotewurst - fitba's brilliant sometimes :D

The crowd was 42,405 - so it was slightly over half full. The atmosphere was great - proof if it was ever needed that you don't need a full stadium to have a great atmosphere - it was probably the noisiest ground I've been to for ages with most of the singing coming from the Ostcurve.

I've just read online that Hertha Berlin are looking to move away from the Olympic Stadium. That would be crap - for me that's the biggest reason for wanting to see them in the fist place. Without that ground they'd just be a German version of QPR.

*insert signature here*

Good post, will greenie when not on mobile, but Hertha are a massive club, far bigger than QPR. I know you're talking about the colors but no matter where they play they will have a major and devoted fanbase. They won't go to a 20k seater Lego box, that I can tell you.

EOho8Pw.png

Good post, will greenie when not on mobile, but Hertha are a massive club, far bigger than QPR. I know you're talking about the colors but no matter where they play they will have a major and devoted fanbase. They won't go to a 20k seater Lego box, that I can tell you.

http://www.herthabsc.de/en/teams/newstadion/page/407--4-4-.html#.WN78MGDTVSA

The initial plans don't look too great, I suppose one good thing is it's at the same location just between the ground and the U-bahn station. I am pleasantly surprised that I was able to leave the ground at full time and get on a train without any queueing up or crushing. I was back in the hotel within 30 minutes after leaving the ground, which for a comparable distance to a half full Hampden or even Ibrox would be nigh on impossible.

*insert signature here*

Was at Dunfermline v Hibs today (in with the Pars fans). Plenty of singing from them with a few renditions of "Neil Lennon's a w****r" and even a Duffy song directed at him. Hibs are a diving bunch of cheats and the Pars could have sneaked a win if they hadn't been playing against 13 men - the ref and North side assistant were giving virtually everything in Hibs favour and Lennon is still greetin' about the poor standard of officials! Minor altercation between Nat Wedderburn (Kudus' pal) and Darren McGregor near the end and I was hoping he'd get sent off again.

• 4 weeks later...

OH Leuven 1-0 Lommel Utd tonight (attendance ~8000), Belgian Proximus League relegation play-off

Only been to a handful of games this season due to OH Leuven being utterly dreadful and other issues which took priority. Under normal circumstances this last game of the season between two pish poor teams would have been a turgid bore, but relegation to the Belgian equivalent of the seaside league was a stake. It was a head-to-head contest, whoever lost would be relegated while a draw would favour the home side, so because of that it made for a very decent spectacle.

First half was very nervy, with both teams but mostly the home side passing up decent chances due to abject finishing which probably explains why they're both where they are. Second half wasn't much better but the home side got the vital goal which ended up being enough to keep them up. It was on OG which probably sums up both teams, the standard was very poor. Post match celebrations were very muted because there was I think a general acceptance among the OH Leuven fans that narrowly avoiding relegation to the diddy leagues is not really something to be particularly proud of. It was more a sense of relief than elation. Their fans have been pretty loyal this season, still averaging ~5000 despite their terribleness, but I can't see them maintaining that next season unless they improve significantly. Big, big changes are needed.

Although I was pleased my wee diddy team stayed up, I couldn't help feeling sorry for the 1000 or so Lommel fans who were fantastic throughout the whole game. 

Was still a good wee night out though.

Edit to add the goal... Keystone Cop defending, ha! 

http://www.proximus11.be/nl/proximus-league/voetbal-video/14391/goal-oh-leuven-lommel-united-54-cauwenberg

OH Leuven 1-0 Lommel Utd tonight (attendance ~8000), Belgian Proximus League relegation play-off

Under normal circumstances this last game of the season game against two pish poor teams would have been a turgid bore, but relegation to the Belgian equivalent of the seaside league was a stake. It was a head-to-head contest, whoever lost would be relegated, while a draw would favour the home side, so because of that it made for a very decent spectacle.

First half was very nervy, with both teams passing up decent chances with abject finishing which probably explains why they're both where they are. Second half wasn't much better but the home side got the vital goal which ended up being enough to keep them up.

Couldn't help feeling sorry for the 1000 or so Lommel fans who were fantastic throughout the whole game. Pleased though that my wee diddy team stayed up, but big changes needed.

^^^^ doing it wrong.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

Strange - haven't seen too many updates from Manchester's shitest tribute act recently; don't tell me that they're floundering in a laughable pub league yet again this season?

Looks like 'the journey' ends in abject failure. :lol:

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Strange - haven't seen too many updates from Manchester's s***est tribute act recently; don't tell me that they're floundering in a laughable pub league yet again this season?

Looks like 'the journey' ends in abject failure. :lol:

^^^^ seeking attention.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

^^^^ seeking attention.

^^^ verge of tears

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

^^^^ 1.05am no one is looking at me twatsville.

^^^ word salad

Alex Ferguson turns out to have called it correctly when he said they were attention-seekers. Once the headlines and trophies dry up they turn on each other.

Funny isn't it?

I remember condescending Dave salivating about them at every opportunity until recently too, I wonder when he realised that this "Football for Punks" myth was all a load of pish and the baw was well and truly burst, they are the football equivalent of Bucks Fizz?

*insert signature here*

Archived