Who now? - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who now?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folk were saying it was going to be Hopkin last year and nothing came of it. I hope we can get him in as there’s hardly a decent pool of managers available right now.

I think David Hopkin is likely to get better offers than us.

You'd think so. His spell at Bradford was pretty disastrous, but then they're in a real mess. (I have a bit of a soft spot for Bradford. A proper-sized club with a seriously passionate support.) People in the game will acknowledge, okay, he didn't do well there, but it was a poisoned chalice.

Then again, with the passage of time, promotion from the SPFL Championship will look less and less impressive to outside observers.

EOho8Pw.png

Folk were saying it was going to be Hopkin last year and nothing came of it. I hope we can get him in as there’s hardly a decent pool of managers available right now.

Last summer he was the biggest managerial target in Scottish football, which inevitably was going to lead to offers from England as well. While he remained unemployed at the time we eventually appointed McKinnon, he’d had offers from Premiership clubs and lnew he could wait around for English offers to come along too.

Despite Bradford being a basket case, the season he had means there's no guarantee he’s going to get the same interest from bigger clubs again. Although the Morton job is also less attractive than it was 12 months ago, I’d say Hopkin’s a far more realistic shout now than it was then.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The problem with Hartley is that he was allowed to recruit whoever he wanted with no oversight. Morton wouldn't do any better inn this regard and, therefore, I would fear letting him build a squad.

I think it will be Hoppy and would bee happy with that but would also be happy with Jamie McDonaugh from Edinburgh City as he has earned a move upwards.

I think it will be Hoppy and would bee happy with that but would also be happy with Jamie McDonaugh from Edinburgh City as he has earned a move upwards.

McDonaugh was Houston’s assistant at Falkirk I’m sure, he’ll be well versed in knowing we’re a bit of a shambles at the moment.

Realistically I think it’ll be Hopkin and that’ll do.

McDonaugh was Houston’s assistant at Falkirk I’m sure, he’ll be well versed in knowing we’re a bit of a shambles at the moment.

Realistically I think it’ll be Hopkin and that’ll do.

Yeah that's a good point.

Houston has burned his bridges by running to the press; if he hadn't could he have been a possibility?

Absolutely not. Said himself he’s done being a manager as well.

You'd think so. His spell at Bradford was pretty disastrous, but then they're in a real mess. (I have a bit of a soft spot for Bradford. A proper-sized club with a seriously passionate support.) People in the game will acknowledge, okay, he didn't do well there, but it was a poisoned chalice.

Then again, with the passage of time, promotion from the SPFL Championship will look less and less impressive to outside observers.

There will be bigger jobs in Scotland available soon - Dundee and Dunfermline, possibly even Falkirk.

It's also worth noting that David Hopkin is still quite a big name down south, he is a former Crystal Palace legend and Leeds United captain, coupled with his managerial achievements he would look a very attractive proposition for a League 1/2 team looking for an affordable young manager.

*insert signature here*

There will be bigger jobs in Scotland available soon - Dundee and Dunfermline, possibly even Falkirk.

It's also worth noting that David Hopkin is still quite a big name down south, he is a former Crystal Palace legend and Leeds United captain, coupled with his managerial achievements he would look a very attractive proposition for a League 1/2 team looking for an affordable young manager.

I suspect a failed spell at Bradford overshadows whatever English clubs make of a spell at Livingston, who haven't exactly tanked in his absence either. There have of course been plenty of football managers who didn't get it right south of the border first time round - Derek McInnes being the most notable example - but English chairmen won't exactly be clamouring for his signature anytime soon. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There's a WhatsApp screenshot doing the rounds from a member of the first team backroom staff saying a deal with Hopkin is '99% done deal just needs pen to paper'. Sounds pretty conclusive. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

There's a WhatsApp screenshot doing the rounds from a member of the first team backroom staff saying a deal with Hopkin is '99% done deal just needs pen to paper'. Sounds pretty conclusive.

Maybe ex member of staff if that gets out.

Archived