The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

We're unbeaten in games that Ross has started. Not saying that's necessarily cause and effect but the difference in form with and without him is striking. In fact we only one once (against Brechin) in games where he started on the bench.

I think others have made the point, but I think it's just simply ore down to the team having a good balance when he plays, rather that him being particularly great. He might be more impressive if he got a run of games, but if Jim's in charge next season, then I just don't see that happening.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goalkeepers; 

Gaston - Keep as a number two. At this level he has his positive (and negative attributes) but I think it's time to look towards an upgrade, or at the very least someone to push him all the way. 

Brennan - If he's willing to accept a cheap deal and go out on loan as third choice than keep. If not, release. 

McGowan - Release. 

Defenders; 

Russell - Keep (if it can be done cheaply) and look towards loaning him out. He needs to play football to continue his progression, but not at Championship level. If I was Russell, I would be looking towards a fresh start elsewhere, but I still think we should offer him something.

Iredale - Keep. He's been excellent since he's come in, albeit he's still prone to the odd lapse in concentration at left-back. Offers good mobility going forward and is technically sound. 

O'Ware - Keep. O'Ware's not had the season I was hoping for and has made mistakes this year. Much like Gaston, I think we need to look to upgrading the centre back positions if we want to progress. He really needs to work on his distribution, and get rid of this habit of blaming those around him for his mistakes. 

Lamie - Keep. Lamie's been our best defender this season and offers decent cover at left back. While the lapses in concentration seem to be a thing of the past, he is still a bit too passive for my liking at times. A solid season and hopefully he can improve even further. 

Kilday - See what he's like over pre-season and take it from there. 

Doyle - Controversial one, but I'd keep him as a second choice but only on the condition that he's not going to be the one providing our width on the right hand side. He's been decent defensively this year, and if we can add some genuine width in front of him then I'm not against him staying as a backup option. 

Strapp - Keep him, assess him in pre-season/swordings in the League Cup and decide whether he goes out on loan or not. Looks to have potential but I'd like to see a bit more of him before making my mind up. 

Gasparotto - Release. Not good enough. 

Midfielders; 

Harkins - Keep. He's had a good season and should flourish more if we can get more mobile midfielders around him. Full time football has helped improve his physique and has contributed well on the back of that.  

Murdoch - Keep. A tidy player who covers ground well and does the basics well. I'd like to see him offer more of a goal threat next season but satisfied with his contributions this season. 

Forbes - Release. 

Fraser - Keep if possible, but don't break the bank for him. He fancies himself as a Premiership player and I don't think he will be overly keen to drop down to this level permanently. 

Tidser - Offer a low wage deal. I like Tidser and I think he would love to stay here, but his effectiveness in a four man midfield is diminishing. Again he's another player that we should be looking to upgrade upon. 

Ross - Enquire about another loan. He offers good width and pace, however he needs to add a level of consistency to his game. He's not far away from being a good Championship player and I'd like to see what he could do over the course of 40 games. 

Forwards; 

Quitongo - An awkward one. Obviously we'd like to have him in the team and playing regularly, but we're not in a financial position to pay a hefty wage to someone we're only going to get 20 games a season out of. I'd obviously offer him something but I wouldn't break the bank to keep him. 

Baird - Release. He has decent movement but he doesn't offer enough physically. 

McHugh - He's under contract anyway, but I'd release him if he wasn't. Keep him as a backup option rather than shelling money out to get rid of him. 

Oliver - Keep. He's improving and contributing more, consistently. If he's going to play behind a main striker then he needs to improve the defensive side of his game, and could still do with adding more goals. 

Thompson - Release. 

Tiffoney - Keep on a cheap deal. He has pace and the odd good chop inside, but worryingly short of technical ability and has a real lack of game intelligence. He is of use, but shouldn't be a starter. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Keep Doyle and lowball Tidser (who's under contract), madness.

I'm for lowballing both of them and ear marking them for backup roles in the squad, although I didn't realise Tidser was still under contract. 

Thomson is under contract as well but it's rumored that he wants to go back to PT football.

Doyle is absolute horse and should be nowhere near the Championship. He seems like a genuinely nice guy but we need to be ruthless here. I wish him well but if we re-sign him we're chucking it.

EOho8Pw.png

Thomson will be returning to part time football anyway, whether through choice or necessity. 

If utilised in the correct system then he offers a good amount of pace and is passable defensively. As I've said, I don't want him to be our first choice right-back, but for the right money I'd accept him being a back-up option. I don't expect him to play a Dani Alves role, but he's an adequete second choice right back when he has someone in front of him. 

Stay

Gaston

Iredale

O'Ware

Lamie

Kilday (if he can prove his fitness, if not, release)

Harkins

Tidser

Murdoch

Tiffoney

Quitongo

Release

Brennan

Doyle

Russell

Gasparotto

Forbes

Thomson

McHugh

Oliver

The 3 loanees I wouldn't be bothered to see leaving. Ross has been the best of the three, but he's not been spectacular or anything.

Release Oliver?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Oliver needs to add more dynamics to his game but he has the potential to be a very good player. Clever movement and link up play, a good touch and a decent enough turn of pace. As I've mentioned above, he needs to start carving out chances for himself (and others) on a more consistent basis. I absolutely would not release him.

Does Oliver have another year left on his contract? If not, he should be going...

A tidy looking player, but he's a forward with a dire goal scoring record over his career...

Am sure I read u saying yesterday you'd only been to 5 games this season?

How can u possibly know if Oliver's done enough this year to earn a new contract or not?

Yeah he hasn't scored as much as we'd all like, but he's a good player at this level and has to stay IMO.

It is actually possible to be a good forward, contribute effectively to games and not score bags of goals u know!

Zhivago will no doubt try to dress up this latest utter mauling as an 'expert fishing trip' that got the 'bites' that he was looking for all along. When in reality he is just a moron whose views on any subject can be safely filed in the bin.

Fooling absolutely no one.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

How can u possibly know if Oliver's done enough this year to earn a new contract or not?

Yeah he hasn't scored as much as we'd all like, but he's a good player at this level and has to stay IMO.

It is actually possible to be a good forward, contribute effectively to games and not score bags of goals u know!

You are new to these parts, so let us explain. 

Zhivago, or Clydeview as he is now known since he left the forum in a huff, is a world class wind up merchant. Appreciate his niche art-form and his artistic genius. 

You are new to these parts, so let us explain. 

Zhivago, or Clydeview as he is now known since he left the forum in a huff, is a world class wind up merchant. Appreciate his niche art-form and his artistic genius. 

Talking of leaving in a huff. What ever happened to Deano?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

He's a forward, he averages 7 goals a season over his career - is that really good enough?? Yes, he's a decent footballer, but his goals return, and general attacking threat in games, is poor. 

Of the forwards I'd only keep Quitongo and Tiffoney... neither of whom are very good, both lack a decent first touch or footballing brain, but they're both young and quick, and can potentially improve. Tiffoney shouldn't have been starting games this season... not ready for it, not his fault he was thrown in.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

The role that we haven't seen Russell in, and the role in which he might thrive is as a front wide player.

It was in that role that he was outstanding as a development squad player.

He can go past opponents with ease and if relieved of defensive duties other than tracking back could thrive.

Far too good a player to release but we need to see the best of him and that may be in an out and out attacking role.

He's a forward, he averages 7 goals a season over his career - is that really good enough?? Yes, he's a decent footballer, but his goals return, and general attacking threat in games, is poor.

Hes an absolutely fine second striker who links the play well, very clever player with lots to offer and has potential. He’s never going to score 20+ a season, but him alongside someone who can do that will be fine for next season. He’s a player I’ve grown to appreciate a bit more this season.

The role that we haven't seen Russell in, and the role in which he might thrive is as a front wide player.

It was in that role that he was outstanding as a development squad player.

He can go past opponents with ease and if relieved of defensive duties other than tracking back could thrive.

Far too good a player to release but we need to see the best of him and that may be in an out and out attacking role.

Please tell me when this last happened.

Archived