General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 10 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

On the topic of utterly gubbins and pointless clubs that The Famous Must Take Serious Lessons From, I see that Davie McArthur's hipster choice FC United of Manchester are currently stinking out the Conference North in the sixth (lol) tier of the English leagues - they sit second bottom of the table and have already gone through one manager this season:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-north/table

Who would have predicted* that running up the scores in the diddiest of English leagues like a souped-up Gretna wasn't actually a groundbreaking and sustainable model for building a football club; not least when they're now up against all the much larger clubs who have done a Rangers that are ten a penny at that level.

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Attendance down to 1,751 average, down 17% from last season. Salford City, one level above, seem to have more success, with 2,734.

Maybe there's something about buying success that brings out the fans in Manchester - as with, oh, everywhere else in the world.

I'll say this for "FCUM", at least they're doing better than the Liverpool equivalent, who are in Step 6 (i.e. level 10) in the Northwest Counties league, alongside AFC Blackpool, AFC Darwen, and indeed one level below an even newer club called City of Liverpool FC.

One day hipsters will stop forming these silly little clubs and instead get behind their local team. Although it seems that one sometimes leads to the other: the "Clapton Ultras" stopped supporting Clapton FC and instead formed Clapton Community FC, who play at a level I'm not even going to bother looking up.

EOho8Pw.png

There is something tragically funny about a club like FCUM and the whole spin which they came out with "Football for Punks" etc and ending up as a public park team with a dwindling fanbase all fighting amongst themselves.

David McArthur is a bit conspicuous by his absence at times like this.

*insert signature here*

Salford will scoop up hundreds of the FCUM roaster fanbase each year, like the common, gloryhunting hypocrites that they are. Then when Salford happily go down the pan safely 95% of them will slink back to Old Trafford.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Another pumping for Dundee. You've got to wonder how long they'll give McCann before hitting the 'we've given a s*** tonne of money to a s*** manager' button and hiring Duffy.

Stubbs was sacked for less. Another loss and they’ll surely put him out his misery.

Another pumping for Dundee. You've got to wonder how long they'll give McCann before hitting the 'we've given a s*** tonne of money to a s*** manager' button and hiring Duffy.

I think Kenny Miller will be a shoe-in for the job when Neil McCann gets his jotters. How long he'll last is another question altogether.

*insert signature here*

I’m not sure what Miller has to offer as a manager - but as a media darling and an Old Firm/Scotland stalwart he’ll predictably be in with a shout in 2010s Scottish football. Why does he think that he’s above cutting his managerial teeth at Whitehill Welfare or some other outfit and working his way up?

The longer that Dundee hang on to McCann the more they’ll yearn for a ‘safe pair of hands’ I.e a tactical dinosaur to replace him. Step up Jim Duffy to remind everyone why he was known as ‘the Relegator’ until he couldn’t actually get Clyde relegated as the pyramid didn’t exist yet.

Celtic fucked again, didn't watch it but apparently they were very lucky to take the lead and Killie, while leaving it late, won deservedly, and not with a smash-and-grab.

There's a very real chance they blow the title this season and one of Rangers or even Hearts could capitalize.

What a difference a few months can make.

EOho8Pw.png

OH Leuven are bottom of the 'First Division B', too. Their highly-renowed (in Leuven) loyal support has disappeared like snow off a dike. The big local derby* with Roeselare is tomorrow. That'll be a thrilling encounter. Probably.

*I assume, not checking a map

The Belgian B league is fucking weird. 10 teams and the season split into two halfs with the winner of each half playing each other in a play off to decide promotion. Then the rest of the midtable teams in the aggregate table go into Europa League play off groups from the top-flight, with the bottom four into a relegation play-off.

At least that's how it was when I last played FM with White Star Brussels (basket case of a club)

The Belgian B league is ****ing weird. 10 teams and the season split into two halfs with the winner of each half playing each other in a play off to decide promotion. Then the rest of the midtable teams in the aggregate table go into Europa League play off groups from the top-flight, with the bottom four into a relegation play-off.

At least that's how it was when I last played FM with White Star Brussels (basket case of a club)

Leuven lost again, wee shame that.

White Star Brussels no longer exist, and as Molenbeek is effectively foreign territory, they are missed by nobody.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Hamburg got demolished 0-5 on their own midden by a pub team yesterday so the 'good start' needs some qualification. 

Hamburg got demolished 0-5 on their own midden by a pub team yesterday so the 'good start' needs some qualification.

Ahem, I posted this earlier without looking at this weekends scores, being second top with only one point behind the league leaders Cologne after six games - that was my basis of saying that SV Hamburg had got off to a decent start. :)

With regards to Jahn Regensburg, without knowing too much about them and going purely on facts, because I know you like that kind of thing, describing them as a 'pub team' is perhaps a bit unkind to them - they come from a city in Bavaria which is comparable in size to Blackburn or Preston, and their average attendances are similar to the football teams from these locations. With the exception of last season when they finished 5th in 2. Bundesliga, their recent history seems to have been 'dicey' however it looks like they got a well deserved result at the weekend, and GIFRUY to Hamburg.

Edit to add:

Rafa2.jpg

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

Named for Friedrich Lugwig Jahn, who founded the Turn movement - a pan-German gymnastics/fitness movement that was instrumental in binding together the German peoples in preparation for nation-statehood. For obvious reasons it's less fashionable now than it was but there are still almost five million Turner in Germany, albeit it's no longer a German nationalist pastime.

There were all manner of Turnspiel organizations in the US prior to WW1, when they all but died out, once again for obvious reasons. Same with newspapers - most folded around or just after WW1, a few limped on until after WW2, and now just one remains, in New York.

EOho8Pw.png

Ahem, I posted this earlier without looking at this weekends scores, being second top with only one point behind the league leaders Cologne after six games - that was my basis of saying that SV Hamburg had got off to a decent start. :)

It's really not my fault if news of a Gourlay free kick has only just reached you as well - thanks for playing anyway. 

With regards to Jahn Regensburg, without knowing too much about them and going purely on facts, because I know you like that kind of thing, describing them as a 'pub team' is perhaps a bit unkind to them - they come from a city in Bavaria which is comparable in size to Blackburn or Preston, and their average attendances are similar to the football teams from these locations. 

Calling them a pub team is a massive compliment next to comparing them to absolute fucking bins like Blackburn or Preston. 

League Cup Quarter Finals tonight and tomorrow night; 

Tonight - 

Hibs vs Aberdeen

Tomorrow - 

Hearts vs Motherwell

Rangers* vs Ayr

Celtic vs St Johnstone

The most interesting tie for me is Hibs vs Aberdeen. The League Cup win for Aberdeen was a while ago now and McInnes will be looking for another trophy to keep the fans content. Hibs too will be wanting something to put on the mantelpiece as a sign of their recent progress. I fancy Hibs to edge it by the odd goal. I can't remember the last time Celtic, Rangers*, Hibs and Hearts made up the last four of a cup tournament. 

Edited by BishopLenBrennan

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Hibs vs Aberdeen is on BT Sport just now for anyone interested. Aberdeen have cracked the underside of the bar with a free kick, Hibs have had a goal correctly disallowed for handball (a very good spot by the referee) and have just missed a sitter. I fancy Aberdeen to nick it by the odd goal. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks!