Morton vs Foreign Opposition - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

TRVMP

He had a trial. Played for them in their next friendly as a sub against Plymouth. Knocked back an offer to extend the trail back in Romania, get a feel for the place. Went on trial with Watford instead.

Press angle about the Rangers fan who could have went abroad and could have played against them was obvious but still horrible.

Apologies Jamie, just read this.

*insert signature here*

I remember we played a Finnish team at cappielow well over 25 years ago. Think it might have been Finnpa? They had a Brazilian called Jefferson who was absolutely phenomenal. I'm sure I have the team lines from that night somewhere. If I ever dig them out I'll post them on here.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I think we mugged them* 3-2 with two very late goals in the game

*sworded the Soviet crack outfit

That’s better.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• 3 weeks later...

I was at a match at Cappielow around the late sixties, when Morton beat an American side by something like 11-1. It may have been Houston Dynamo’s, though I can’t find it online.

There was one superb year, 1967, in which the top US league was the United Soccer Association. Its clubs were simply rebranded European and South American ones. So for example the 'Dallas Tornado' were just Dundee United with a couple of ringers and a different kit. The Houston team of that era was the Houston Stars, who in turn were Bangu-RJ of Brazil in disguise. It may have been them but it's not obvious why they'd have come to Scotland.

After them there was no top-tier (NASL) team in Houston until the Hurricane in the 70s and the Dynamos in the 80s, and then none in the MLS era until the new, unconnected Dynamo in 2005.

EOho8Pw.png

That Maccabi TA one in particular is bloody weird, any idea why that came about?

I think they were on tour.  Pretty sure there was no player link.  Hal Stewart liked exotic friendlies.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived